EXPOSURE PROBLEM A7RII. A7RII eoshd guide misunderstanding

bristo

Hello Evrybody,

I need some help... I am using an A7RII for video. I bought the precious EOSHD shooter guide. However I have two more questions:

1- I keep the camera in stills mode to shoot video (Andrew advice), for example I am in Manual exposure mode, I set my shutter 1/50s if I shoot in 24p, I am in slog2 or PP6 cineflat , I look my exposure indicator and my zebra (set 100) and adjust with my variable nd filter. However when I hit the movie record button the sony switch in video mode and there is a difference in the exposure. For example when everything is set in the still mode and I have the exposure at 0, when I hit the movie button I will have in the exposure indicator +1? I do not understand why it always overexpose of 1 stop? (of course the effect is on in the live view effect menu).

2- When I use PP6 (with Andrew settings) for video with the A7RII, do I have to try overexpose (2 stops) like with Slog2 or do I have to expose at 0?

Thank you very much for your help.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, bristo said:

1- I keep the camera in stills mode to shoot video (Andrew advice),

Don't, shoot in video mode. Many times I see differences in exposure & color. It can be due to a) effects preview not being activated (WYSIWYG) b)Inevitable dimming of the screen that happens with 4K c) different processing during video mode. You will also get to frame correctly... 

2 hours ago, bristo said:

2- When I use PP6 (with Andrew settings) for video with the A7RII, do I have to try overexpose (2 stops) like with Slog2 or do I have to expose at 0?

No. All the gammas other than s-log don't require overexposure. 

• Administrators

PP6 is 1.5 or 2-stop to the right (over exposed on the meter).

The rest you should aim for a nice even spread in the histogram or 0 on the meter.

The reason I recommend shooting in M mode rather than Movie mode is the shutter is not disabled for stills, you can quickly reel one off, very useful, also the AF is much quicker for a quick shot setup, furthermore the manual focus assist quality gets a very useful and significant bump up so that it is useable, whereas the one in movie mode is a dreadful fuzzy mess.

If the exposure is shifting between M mode live view and recording, are you describing a slight gamma shift or might it be another setting which is interfering? Check that movie exposure in the main menu is also set to M.

Also if you're relying on the meter for very precise exposure, it's not a good idea. It's not very useful for precise adjustments. It's better to check the histogram instead.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The reason I recommend shooting in M mode rather than Movie mode is the shutter is not disabled for stills, you can quickly reel one off, very useful, also the AF is much quicker for a quick shot setup, furthermore the manual focus assist quality gets a very useful and significant bump up so that it is useable, whereas the one in movie mode is a dreadful fuzzy mess.

Yeah being able to switch between pictures & video at the same time is an inconvenience with these Sonys and shooting in M mode sometimes can improve things. 

Other than the framing and color/exposure differences is that in M mode you take pictures at 1/50 and most of the time you want something faster... Shooting in A mode helps in that respect since when switching to video it defaults to the 1/50 of the M mode. 

The other annoying thing is the delay when you are in M/A mode is the few seconds delay between switching photos & videos. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm interested in the  a7rii cineflat profile and lut package. is cineflat more like canons wide dynamic range profil (WDR)? we normally use this at the moment on our c100 . if not. what camera settings/luts would you recommend? thanks for any support.