portable 4k editing storage?

timepresent

Hey All

I've been waiting/searching for a year now for decent mass storage that is portable.

I edit a lot on the go on a 15" Macbook Pro w/ dedicated graphics card, 16gb ram, 512 SSD -- one with thunderbolt 2 ports. I am using Premiere to edit footage from Sony a7Sii, Panasonic LX100, and Samsung NX1.

What I've found to work the best is 1tb Samsung Pro SSDs in an Inateck USB 3 case. I tried the Samsung EVO but it was just a bit too slow. Other cases didn't work on the Samsung Pro.

I am now hitting more than 1tb of video for some projects and working on 2-3 long term projects simultanously. Thunderbolt dock doesn't work well for travel and neither does shuffling around terabytes worth of data from slow to fast drives while working on multiple projects. 

Right now a 2tb Samsung Pro in the Inateck USB 3 enclosure seems like the only option...

I was hoping to find a 2 drive thunderbolt 2 enclosure to get another 1tb ssd and put two 1tb Samsung Pros into a raid. If such a thing exists it should be faster and cheaper than buying a 2tb Samsung Pro (almost $900 for those!).

Anyone have a solution?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One solution is the 4TB bus-powered USB 3 Seagate Backup Plus Fast. It is not as fast as SSD but it's faster than most other USB 3 bus-powered drives. It is about 1/8 the price per megabyte of the 2TB Samsung Pro. It is internally RAID 0: http://amzn.com/B00HXAV0X6

Re performance, what counts is not benchmarks but whether it makes a significant difference in your actual workflow. E.g, import, export, editing, etc.  I/O is only one component of this -- in many editing tasks you are CPU or GPU limited so even infinitely fast I/O won't help much. Anyone can examine the degree of CPU vs I/O by using Perfmon (Windows) or Activity Monitor or iStat Menus (Mac).

Also, even though an external SSD is internally fast, the actual speed on a USB 3 interface is what counts. While real-world workflow performance is what ultimately counts, benchmarks are easy to run. It would be interesting to know the actual performance on several benchmarks of the 2TB Samsung Pro when used on a USB 3 interface vs the 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Fast.