My initial thoughts on the 1DC (vs 5Dmk3, LS300, etc)

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

So I was offered a 1DC with low number of clicks and for $600 less than the current price of a A7rii retail.
I thought "What that heck, if its bad I can probably turn profit by selling it".
Ive only used it out and about twice so far. Also for a product review. And to be honest, I don't think its a keeper for me.

The reasons are:

• Awesome image, truly great. But imo the 5D Mark 3 Raw matches it. Lower res but better color and lower crop.
  • Even at the low price, a used 5D is half the price.
  • The 5D is much easier to use due to zebras, raw meter, etc, etc, etc.
  • The 5D is smaller but I like the big size of the 1DC. Easily fixed with a battery grip.
  • The 5D workflow is tougher in post, needs converting. But worth it for the Raw imo.
  • Ive been offered a used c100ii or two c100i for the same price.

And those where my reasons against the 5D. But if you dont care about Raw or to have "Canon Colors" there are tons of cameras in the same price range that will make your shooting so much easier. 

As some might know I currently have the LS300 on loan for review. And today I had both in the garden just shooting random stuff in the bright sun.
It is of course night and day in workflow between a fully featured camcorder and a mostly equipped DSLR.

And at the end of the day, watching the footage Im not seeing a big enough difference. The 1DC looks nicer imo, no question. But not that much better.
Im not saying that I will buy the LS300, 5D or c100. But Im pretty sure I won't keep the 1DC.
Maybe I change my mind after some more testing but the initial thought is, not for me.

Here is the LS300 and 1DC.
Same lens same settings

JVC
VS_JVC_Sat.md.jpg

1DC
VS_1DC1.md.jpg

JVC
VS_JVC2.md.jpg

1DC
VS_1DC2.md.jpg

And two short tests,

1DC

JVC

For reference, 5D Mark3 with a soft vintage Nikkor lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs