Color issue with the NX-1

Omer Sehayek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've never used the manual kelvin settings since I don't have tint control with that, but many people report odd colors, or suddenly 2 or 3 frames where it seems one channel drops off. Been getting good results manually balancing to a gray card, that's been solid for me. I keep an envelope of small gels and camera filters to balance through, usually an 82A light cooling filter -the NX seems a little cool to me sometimes, I like pushing the WB a hair warmer. You could use a 1/8 CTB to do the same thing (hold in front of the lesn when you press the shutter). I do lots of corporate shoots where I take raw stills when scouting and suss out the practicals using camera raw, and then gel my lights to match and WB to the gelled fixtures. Works really well for natural looking locations without gelling every light in the office.

• 4 weeks later...

guys I am not such a newbie....I do it for living....i know about shutter speeds and WB. I do not know why I keep getting strobes but I know it's something only my NX-1 suffer from.....I get the strobe issue in any wedding I have done since I got the camera. It sometimes happens with certain street light....I mainly use it on the best quality with 25P shutter speed 50 (which give me the best results). going to any other frame rate and shutter speed will make strobing worse. I have noticed that 25P on HD give less strobe then 25P on 4k for some reason....but doesn't mind what I do I get a strobe you can see!!  Same place, I take my 5D or other canon camera.....no strobe at all with the same frame rate and shutter speed so it's something with the NX-1 system.   Knowing they got the issues with the WB make me wonder if it another problem with the camera.....it's kind of a bummer I didn't know about it before buying it....

5 hours ago, Omer Sehayek said:

guys I am not such a newbie....I do it for living....i know about shutter speeds and WB. I do not know why I keep getting strobes but I know it's something only my NX-1 suffer from.....I get the strobe issue in any wedding I have done since I got the camera. It sometimes happens with certain street light....I mainly use it on the best quality with 25P shutter speed 50 (which give me the best results). going to any other frame rate and shutter speed will make strobing worse. I have noticed that 25P on HD give less strobe then 25P on 4k for some reason....but doesn't mind what I do I get a strobe you can see!!  Same place, I take my 5D or other canon camera.....no strobe at all with the same frame rate and shutter speed so it's something with the NX-1 system.   Knowing they got the issues with the WB make me wonder if it another problem with the camera.....it's kind of a bummer I didn't know about it before buying it....

Yeah, I notice horizontal banding that almost looks static on a lot of different interior light types in my apartment. The only shutter speed that it seems to disappear is 40. It appears at 30 and anything above 40. With fluorescents, the banding is worse and moving up also only disappears at 40. This is with UHD 23.98 pro setting. I'm in Korea by the way if the AC makes a difference. I rented another NX1 and got similar results.

8 hours ago, Omer Sehayek said:

I don't know what your ISO is in those situations but I have noticed the Horizontal effect when I push the ISO in a low light setting with florescent light. But when I'm not pushing the ISO I don't see the issue arise. This camera is really weird at high ISO imo. 

• 1 month later...

I ran into a pretty bad color shift on a project I'm working on.

It's a rock opera live production with mixed stage lighting from fresnel to LED.

I used my nx1 and 50-150 and the combo held up great.

We filmed two shows over the course of two Saturdays.

First week I left my nx1 in AWB+Tungsten, which is where I leave it a good chunk of the time.

Obviously that was the wrong setting for such a mixed environment.

Over the course of the 2 1/2 hour production I have like 3-4 spots in the footage where it turns completely green, like only the green channel is recording.

It happened mainly on CU shots in strong red lighting, and it went away when I would zoom the lens out/take in more of the scene.

Again we're talking probably 3-4, 5-10 second clips in a 2 1/2 hour live production so not the end of the world, but still a concern.

Went back to shoot the second show this Saturday and used a preset WB and didn't have any issues like that at all.

So a bit of an odd one, but definitely user error in my case.