Syncing Audio to Video

enny

Hi guys recently i shoot a music video for a band. Using bmpcc and on board mic. I have also used band music added 3 click at beginning so i can Sync it in post. It did help  but drums wore so loud that it was hard to hear music coming out of small speakers attached to iPhone for band to fallow. So 50% of footage they wore trying to catch up to a song ot got lost and it was nightmare to sync in post even with 3 clicks at begin of the song. I am using i am using Pluraleyes to see if it will help but all you can hear is drums blazing so i dont think it will work.

So my question is for my next music video what do i need to synch my actors voice to original track/song. Do they have to clearly hear the original song coming out to sing it to the point. Is it bad idea to record audio in camera with crappy mice or do i need to invest in separate recording device for voice since i am on a budged would something like Zoom recording device work.

How do you guys get clear sync to original music to your actors singing what steps do you guys fallow.

Thanks a Bunch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, enny said:

Hi guys recently i shoot a music video for a band. Using bmpcc and on board mic. I have also used band music added 3 click at beginning so i can Sync it in post. It did help  but drums wore so loud that it was hard to hear music coming out of small speakers attached to iPhone for band to fallow. So 50% of footage they wore trying to catch up to a song ot got lost and it was nightmare to sync in post even with 3 clicks at begin of the song. I am using i am using Pluraleyes to see if it will help but all you can hear is drums blazing so i dont think it will work.

So my question is for my next music video what do i need to synch my actors voice to original track/song. Do they have to clearly hear the original song coming out to sing it to the point. Is it bad idea to record audio in camera with crappy mice or do i need to invest in separate recording device for voice since i am on a budged would something like Zoom recording device work.

How do you guys get clear sync to original music to your actors singing what steps do you guys fallow.

Thanks a Bunch

Yes the singer should be able to hear the song - do a few takes where you do close ups (Extreme CU & a Medium) of just the singer or if the singer can't manage that, then get the chorus & a few other bits. Get a wide shot, so you have a basis that you can always cut to & from - make sure it isn't too close, so you can't see exactly what the singer is saying. And also film each band member - get the drummer in a tight shot or just shoot him hitting the snare drum & the same goes for the bass player. And don't worry if you reuse footage.

Listen to the song so you can plan what & when you need to film them - makes your life a whole lot easier.

The main thing is to warn them that they'll have to play the song over & over, it won't be done in just one take! Bands that have been filmed before will understand this, first timers won't & have to have it explained.