A6300 120FPS Crop?

Simon Shasha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yes it does crop. Not hugely, but certainly noticeably. I'd say if 1.5x is the full Super 35mm sensor compared to full frame, then it will bump it to 1.8 maybe 2x in 120fps.

Just have a Speed Booster handy for wides.

PS... I still love the RX100 IV for 120fps. Still the best detail in 1080/120fps yet. A7S II and A6300 both softer.

Andrew, you are a legend! Thank you so much for clearing that up!

95% of this is going to be on a gimbal - was hoping to take advantage of the AF. I have the A6000 and A7RII, so I'm well versed in controlling the Sony system.

I have the Sony 35mm F1.8 OSS. If the crop is, roughly 2x, perhaps I should grab the Sigma 19mm F2.8...however, I'm unsure if that takes advantage of the A6300 AF system well...

Thanks again for the quick response!

• Super Members
51 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's great. I shot all of this in 120fps and the long continuous takes really help in the edit, much better than the 240fps cache record and buffering mode.

Add to that the F1.8 lens really helps in low-light and you have a great run & gun camera.

Seeing this makes me glad I still have a RX100iv on the shelf at home. Great video Andrew!
I first returned it but a few days later I made my LUTs that at least to my eye lets me get nice skin tones. And I did enjoy to have something literally in the pocket. I also got the magfilter I used to have with the RX1ooii.

And finally when they lowered the price with almost 10% and gave me another 10% for an open box it was done (the open box was the one I returned :) )

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, a little bit late here, I'm a beginner trying to learn about sensor and crop factor, bought my first camera recently (an A6300). So, an APS-C sensor already has a crop factor of 1.5x (on Sony cameras), and if I record in 120fps, it would sum about 0.5x? So, I would end up having a crop factor of 2.0x? It means that if I buy a 35mm lens and shoot in 120fps, I would actually have a 70mm (35mm x 2) equivalent angle of view? Is that right?

Got this from eoshd:

Got confirmation from an A6300 tester " DVFire",

4K 24P/25P crop factor 1.5x (24MP full sensor readout)

4K 30P crop factor 1.9x (13MP crop area full readout)

HD 120P crop factor 1.9x (13MP crop area pixel binning readout)

*The crop values are written relative to the FF image circle.

So your 35mm will equal a 66.5mm lens.