Sony PCM-M10 with Rode NTG-2

Ondřej Nevělík

I've recently bought the Sony PCM-M10 as an external recorder to accompany my Sony a6000 camera as it doesn't have any external microphone input.

While I really like the sound of the build-in mics on the PCM-M10 I decided to buy a shotgun mic. After listening to the comparison here: http://www.newmediascholar.net/tester/ I decided to go with the Rode NTG-2.

I bought a second hand one and couldn't try it out as it was from a guy from different part of the country.

Now I am quite disappointed. To get any usable sound with the Rode NTG-2 (with a fresh battery) plugged into the PCM-M10 via XLR-3.5mm jack cable I have to use the 'High Mic Sensitivity' on the recorder a then it is significantly noisier then the PCM-M10's built-in mics. Also (the hiss aside) it sounds muffled and overall much worse than the standalone PCM-M10.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just not a suitable mic for the PCM-M-10? What would you recommend?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You need a recorder with built in XLR Jacks and 48 Volt Phantom Power. The PCM-M10 only has "plug-in power" for small mics with a 1/8 inch jack like the rode videomic. I know the NTG2 has a battery option, but the PCM-M10's preamps are likely not sensitive enough to drive the NTG2. 

You'll want to look at something like the Zoom H5 or Zoom H4n.