Sony A6300 review (rolling) - Striking image but nagging issues

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, wobba said:

Nonsense. With a stabilised lens like the 18-105, 4k is superb on the A6300. 

Yes if you use a stabilized lens, it's great with the lens you mentioned. But I use mainly adapted glass. If it had a stabilized sensor I might find it okay, but it's past the point of acceptable for me with my existing lenses.

3 hours ago, dafreaking said:

Yikes...and I was getting excited that since the temps have been improved I could actually go for it. So hand holding a 50mm (75 mm full frame) would definitely be a nono on this then I assume.

You might get away with it if you have a shoulder rig, but definitely not bare handed.

22 hours ago, aldolega said:

Those with the camera, how would you rate the 1080p modes vs. the GH4's? I've read conflicting reports, that it's either better or worse than the a6000, which I generally have heard is on par with the GH4's 1080p mode.

No idea where you read conflicting reports. The a6300's 1080p doesn't touch the detail of the GH4 (or other panasonic cameras) unfortuantely :(  It's similar to Canon and Nikon DSLR's.

Oh here's a useful chart from dpreview. 

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a6300&attr29_1=nikon_d5500&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&normalization=full&widget=383&x=-0.1870641825970696&y=0.25664931499999993

5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I had totally missed that dpreview had such a comparison tool. Great resource, thanks for sharing!

23 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yes if you use a stabilized lens, it's great with the lens you mentioned. But I use mainly adapted glass. If it had a stabilized sensor I might find it okay, but it's past the point of acceptable for me with my existing lenses.

You might get away with it if you have a shoulder rig, but definitely not bare handed.

There isn't a single camera I would be happy to shoot handheld without some form stabilization.

16 hours ago, dahlfors said:

I had totally missed that dpreview had such a comparison tool. Great resource, thanks for sharing!

BTW it's not clear but where the dropdown gives you options for 4k, 4k aps-c, 1080p, 1080p aps-c,  the "4k APS-C" means 4k 30p and "1080p APS-C" means 120p. Not sure why they've named them such. 

@wobba I also bought a GX80 and then a a6300 shortly after (my wallet is pretty battered now). I agree with all those points you made. I would also add that skintones are far more accurate (with the Standard profiles or with SLOG2 and SGamut3.Cine colour). Also a big issue I have with Panasonic cameras is that flares from bright lights cause purple streaks; an issue that Sony and other manufacturers don't have. 

I still have my GX80 because I cant decide which to keep. I have particularly shaky hands so the 5-axis is a godsend for me. And the 1080 is just so much more detailed as well..

Regarding the firmware update, I didn't get any more overheating since I loaded it. Seems quite stable since then even though I kept shooting in the same conditions.

I use the 16-50 kit (wish it had the same filter thread as the others), the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8 so all my lenses have native image stabilization. Seems to do its job reasonably well but I'm super shaky. 

12 hours ago, Inazuma said:

BTW it's not clear but where the dropdown gives you options for 4k, 4k aps-c, 1080p, 1080p aps-c,  the "4k APS-C" means 4k 30p and "1080p APS-C" means 120p. Not sure why they've named them such. 

@wobba I also bought a GX80 and then a a6300 shortly after (my wallet is pretty battered now). I agree with all those points you made. I would also add that skintones are far more accurate (with the Standard profiles or with SLOG2 and SGamut3.Cine colour). Also a big issue I have with Panasonic cameras is that flares from bright lights cause purple streaks; an issue that Sony and other manufacturers don't have. 

I still have my GX80 because I cant decide which to keep. I have particularly shaky hands so the 5-axis is a godsend for me. And the 1080 is just so much more detailed as well..

a6300 4K is sharper than NX1's 4K. Is that right? https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a6300&attr29_1=samsung_nx1&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=4k&normalization=full&widget=383&x=0.24528761715853103&y=0.6463206190739753

On 15/08/2016 at 10:43 AM, Inazuma said:

The a6300's 1080p doesn't touch the detail of the GH4 (or other panasonic cameras) unfortuantely :( 

On the 4K side on the other hand...

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a6300&attr29_1=panasonic_dmcgx85&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=4k&normalization=full&widget=383&x=0.6283004206625524&y=0.16398522233590726

19 hours ago, Inazuma said:

The IBIS in the GX80 is indeed impressive.  I only shoot 4k nowadays and, therefore, much prefer the A6300 which shoots impeccable 4k, free from the peculiarities occasionally observed with the GX80.

In their 1Dx Mark II review, dpreview posted this four-way comparison chart of the color resolution targets for 4K/24p of the 1Dx Mark II, D5, GH4 and A6300. The A6300 out resolves every still camera in their database that I checked including the XC10 thanks to the 6K to 4K downsample (the A7R II S35 5K downsample looks good as well, but soft). The 4K/30p crop mode is pretty competitive with the other cameras as well:

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=canon_eos1dxii&attr29_1=panasonic_dmcgh4&attr29_2=nikon_d5&attr29_3=sony_a6300&attr72_0=c4k&attr72_1=4k&attr72_2=4k&attr72_3=4k&normalization=full&widget=378&x=0.204879165&y=-0.578839

On 03/07/2016 at 5:26 PM, Django said:

I played with one last week... man that rolling shutter has got to be the worst case ever.. i was getting all kinds of jello on slow movements! and i'm not even one to complain about rolling shutter in general.. along with the overheating this camera is imo borderline defective / unusable for most applications it seems geared towards. yeah it's got 4k, good AF & s-log but kinda worthless considering the other issues. i mean what's the point of such a portable camera if it only handles static shots on sticks?! should have at least included IBIS to perhaps reduce the jello or something. i'm dumbfounded by this unit. 

@Grégory LEROY : oublie l'A6300 pour ce que tu fais.. d'ailleurs c'est quoi au juste?! rassure moi, ce sont de vrais militaires??! pas l'air très safe ton truc.. :confused:

J'ai loué le sony A7SII pour tourner un documentaire. J'ai détesté cette camera, combien de fois j'ai voulu la détruire et qu'est ce que je galère pour transcoder les fichier XAVC S et pour coloriser ces couleurs horrible!!! Bref je ne veux plus entendre parler du sony a6300. Je hais Sony, je produit 20 x plus vite avec mon nikon (oui 20 x)

Ce ne sont pas des militaires. En Pologne, il y a la culture de la defense civile. On ne se repose pas sur l'Etat. Le soulèvement de Varsovie de 1944, ce sont des civils. Les français aurait 1/4 de leur courage, on ne serait pas là où on en est actuellement avec les attentats.

d'ailleurs, les videastes français ont refusé de travailler sur mon projet, ce sont des fiottes de hipsters, c'est pour ça que j'apprends et produit tout depuis quelques mois

• 4 weeks later...