True Anamorphic Digital Projection

Orcadia

With respect to video produced anamorphically would there not be a resolution advantage to actually projecting the squeezed image with a projector fitted with "desqueeze" anamorphic adapter?

A full 1080p HD image (no black bars) vertical plane compressed/squeezezd   i.e the way it used to be done with film.

Q. Would this actually work? 

Q2 has anyone any experience with attaching anamorphic  adopters  to a consumer 1080 HD digital projector

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tried this with a 720p 16:9 projector. The image quality was terrible, but fun. There are several problems but the main reason is that in digital projectors you have pixels with visible screendoor, even with a 1080p dlp projector you can see them (unless you project a very small image or sit far away). This isn't too problematic, but when you stretch the image 2X, you are stretching the PIXELS, so actually you will see the same resolution (unless you crop, then you will have less) because you are looking at the same pixels. But the percieved resolution will be less because the density of pixels has gone down, and the vertical pixel gaps will be much more evident.

23 minutes ago, araucaria said:

I tried this with a 720p 16:9 projector. The image quality was terrible, but fun. There are several problems but the main reason is that in digital projectors you have pixels with visible screendoor, even with a 1080p dlp projector you can see them (unless you project a very small image or sit far away). This isn't too problematic, but when you stretch the image 2X, you are stretching the PIXELS, so actually you will see the same resolution (unless you crop, then you will have less) because you are looking at the same pixels. But the percieved resolution will be less because the density of pixels has gone down, and the vertical pixel gaps will be much more evident.

thanks for info Aurucaria appreciated .

But i thought we would be gaining about 30 percent resolution by not having to add the black bars on a 239 aspect image HD image?

But see your point about the visible pixels cheers.

15 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Well, with a 2X stretch you will use 1290x1080pixels vs 1920x803 letterboxed. That's 1.3mp vs 2mp. A 1.33 strech anamorphic lens is another story, I think that would look better.

sorry im missing something, but why wouldn't we be using 1920x1080 pixels stretched out by the lens? 

Just now, Orcadia said:

sorry im missing something, but why wouldn't we be using 1920x1080 pixels stretched out by the lens? 

Well, you were talking about 2.39:1. A 16:9 projector is giving 1.77:1, if you use a 2X lens (true anamorphic, like the ones used in most cinemas) you end up with 2*1.77=  3.55:1

This means you will only use 1290 pixels for the 2.39. On the other hand a 1.33x stretch lens will use the whole thing 1.33*1.77=2.35