Next level upgrade !

ricardo_sousa11

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, i've been working with the NX1 for a few months, and loved every bit of it, and will continue to do so. However, recently with the release of my previous music video, more oportunities came, and now there might (hypothetical) be the oportunity to work with a bigger budget, so I want to use that budget wisely and deliver the best product possible. So thats why im here, asking opinion on people that are on a higher level than me, and have tried lots of gear and that can point me in the right direction. 

Im thinking what would be the best camera choice to deliver professional grade material, of course that means either Prores 422 or RAW recording with 10bit color, global shutter/very very low shutter speed and what not and decent low light performance (similar to the the NX1 would make me happy). This gear is to be bought (2nd hand or new) because unfortunately, where I live, there are no rental services, so that is out of question, so have in mind future-proof, like 4k is preferable.

The URSA 4k seems like an amazing option, has amazing detail, great DR, slow-mo capabilities and the incredible global shutter...but the low-light has me worried. What do you guys recommend, best value-money option ?!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Liam said:

speedboosted bmcc 2.5k ticks about every box for a very impressive price. Out of the question if you want 4k? I'd prefer it to the blackmagic 4k for everything but resolution and global shutter of course

I have considered, but it seems like a waste to get it at this stage, being such an old system. Also the ergonomics seem quite bad, and having to pay for the speedbooster would make it around the same price as the URSA.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I have considered, but it seems like a waste to get it at this stage, being such an old system. Also the ergonomics seem quite bad, and having to pay for the speedbooster would make it around the same price as the URSA.

Say what? I regularly find used BMCC 2.5K with included speedbooster, SSD, rig, etc for $1500-$2000. Body only is $1000.
But I sure don't find ursas for that price.

49 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Say what? I regularly find used BMCC 2.5K with included speedbooster, SSD, rig, etc for $1500-$2000. Body only is $1000.
But I sure don't find ursas for that price.

I have asked you many times where you find those prices :confounded: because I really cant find anywhere near that...not even on Ebay :bawling:

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I have asked you many times where you find those prices :confounded: because I really cant find anywhere near that...not even on Ebay :bawling:

Classifieds, on forums and ebay. Ive said it many times. Its just that one cant just do a search for "super cheap amazing deal" and expect it to sit there and no one else has bought it. It takes a bit of effort and work.
The thing I get asked the most about is finding vintage lenses, I have decided to do tutorial on it :)

28 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

In Germany we have ebay-kleinanzeigen.de which is probably kinda like craigslist for ebay I guess? Bare BMCC2.5K is typically like under 1500€, for 2000€ you might find one including a whole bunch of accessories, sometimes even speed booster.

For me the BMCC is kinda meh because of the built in batterie that makes a rig with V-mount batteries or so a must. Not exactly great for handholding.

8 minutes ago, Phil A said:

In Germany we have ebay-kleinanzeigen.de which is probably kinda like craigslist for ebay I guess? Bare BMCC2.5K is typically like under 1500€, for 2000€ you might find one including a whole bunch of accessories, sometimes even speed booster.

For me the BMCC is kinda meh because of the built in batterie that makes a rig with V-mount batteries or so a must. Not exactly great for handholding.

Yeah, the ergonomics are kind of a no-no for me, since I like to run n gun without any acessory. 

Im looking at the URSA, but thats def. not the only option, if you guys can recomend any other camera that I could use for high-end jobs =)

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Yeah, the ergonomics are kind of a no-no for me, since I like to run n gun without any acessory. 

Im looking at the URSA, but thats def. not the only option, if you guys can recomend any other camera that I could use for high-end jobs =)

Imo.

URSA or a BMCC in a rig = same same.

Equaly run n gun worthy. Only difference is that the bmcc can be smaller and doesnt always need external power.

Yeah, for budget raw or high end prores, with good low light, super35, high resolution, that bmcc image has always been one of my faves or like dream cameras. Yeah, I was pretty positive it'd be cheaper than the ursa mini, but even so, I'd pay more for it. Anyway, maybe a Red could drop down into a reasonable price. Or like an fs7. But if you want an ursa mini 4k as your next step up, and you've done your research, you probably can't go wrong with it. Most concerns I've heard are about iso performance, so if you can deal with that

16 minutes ago, Liam said:

Yeah, for budget raw or high end prores, with good low light, super35, high resolution, that bmcc image has always been one of my faves or like dream cameras. Yeah, I was pretty positive it'd be cheaper than the ursa mini, but even so, I'd pay more for it. Anyway, maybe a Red could drop down into a reasonable price. Or like an fs7. But if you want an ursa mini 4k as your next step up, and you've done your research, you probably can't go wrong with it. Most concerns I've heard are about iso performance, so if you can deal with that

Something else that pulls me more towards the URSA rather than the BMCC is the lack of slow-mo in any resolutuon on the BMCC, since its something I use quite often even on my NX1. This isnt an investment I will be doing like...this month, probably in a few months, so Ill wait and see if they fix those issues in FW updates. This is a huge investment for me, so I really need to think this through, I will keep my NX1 at least for the rest of the year, and keep doing most jobs with it...but as more high end gigs keep coming, Im thinking I should really invest in something that can produce a real high end look.