Nikon 750d vs BMMCC

cojocaru27

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

The grading is so subjective and the learning curve is tough with the pocket.

The 5D is so incredibly easy to make look awesome. 

Really? I got a Pocket about 5 months ago. No real grading experience. Only Panasonic, Sony, and Canon cams before this. I've found it simpler and easier to learn the pocket than any of those, and MUCH more flexible to push around in post. All it takes is contrast and saturation, and it looks as good or better than any Canon footage I've ever seen. 

The highlight roll off is nicer on the 5D, but overall DR is higher on the Pocket. Plus, Blackmagic has better flexibility and an easier workflow with 2:1 CDNG and 4 flavors of ProRes, along with the best lens compatibility on the market and rock solid reliability. On the other hand, the 5D has that slick crop mode, slow motion, and 2.5K, as well as the good (not amazing) 22MP stills.

I wouldn't call either camera a clear winner. Both are RAW classics, but each has its pitfalls. As usual, it all depends what you need. 

Once the used prices dip, I'm strongly considering a 5D3 to compliment my BM and Panasonic cams. Or maybe a D750 with Voigtlander glass. Then again, this NX1 hack has me all hot and bothered...

Spoiled for choice, aren't we? ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would wait to se if that happens at NAB. But not to buy the 5Div. Instead to buy a cheap Mark iii. They are going to plummet as soon as the successor is out. 

Yet even if they drop low....  a Nikon D750 will still be a better buy

15 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

15 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

not only the mark iii will drop but the mark ii will go down to very low prices. It will for sure be one of the best images per price you can get.

Yet even so a Panasonic G7 / Sony A6000 / Nikon D5500 / etc I'd still find a better deal than Canon 5D mk2

As I  reckon no matter how low a Canon 5D mk2 / mk3 goes, others will have fallen even further to be an even better deal than a Canon (especially as Canon fanboy photographers will keep their prices artificially high,  above their true worthwhile value).

• Super Members
47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yet even so a Panasonic G7 / Sony A6000 / Nikon D5500 / etc I'd still find a better deal than Canon 5D mk2

As I  reckon no matter how low a Canon 5D mk2 / mk3 goes, others will have fallen even further to be an even better deal than a Canon (especially as Canon fanboy photographers will keep their prices artificially high,  above their true worthwhile value).

But there is no Raw in any of them.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yet even if they drop low....  a Nikon D750 will still be a better buy

Not for Raw.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

But if a person is selecting a camera for the purpose of raw then I feel they're better off going with a BMMCC instead.

And if said person also factors in other aspects such as having a display, full frame and s16 in the same camera, stills, usable amps, etc....

Don't get me wrong, I like the D750, but imo you are way to black and white about this.

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

BMCC has nothing on the 5d RAW. Except maybe half a stop more in ISO 100 but that's like the only plus and a billion other negatives.

Imo it has about 2 more usable stops at ISO800. It can take much more beating in Resolve and it has an over all nicer color. Plus higher resolution in continuous shooting.
And of course ability to several flawors of Prores. "Billion" negatives, I have to look hard to fins even three.

What the 5D has in favour imo is the small body, battery, stills, and full frame. Its more of a run n gun Raw camera.
For narrative I would use the BMCC every day of the week.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Imo it has about 2 more usable stops at ISO800. 

That's because the ISO800 of the BMCC is the same as ISO100 on the 5draw. I mean, the BMCC cannot go lower than ISO800 when shooting raw.

Or am I missing something? Have you tested setting the BMCC to 800 and the 5d raw to 100 and looking at the exposure?

Sure, there might be smidgen more resolution for the BMCC but also a bunch of more moire. The prores though is nice!