Nikon 750d vs BMMCC

cojocaru27

Hey, i was waiting for bmmcc to be released and see more footage caming out of the camera from users like me. And now the moment has come so i am facing this choice struggle:

shell I go for the bmmcc keeping the lense that i have from oly, 12mm 2.0, 25mm1.8, and 75mm 1.8 and add an external monitor and maybe a gymbal and an nd filter. (the oly m5 that i have now i'll keep as a photo body)

or shell i switch to nikon d750 and buy some good fast primes and sell my oly system? The photo quality would be way better since the full frame sensor it's a higher league . Just don't know what is the video quality between Nikon 750d and BMMCC in real life, i know the raw and prores and 422 and other specs on paper, but in reality is it such a leap?

thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Its pretty safe to say that the BMMCC is very close to the BMPCC. And there are comparisons between the BMPCC and D750 out there.
If you ask me that have used the D750, BMPCC, BMCC and BMPC4K.
I would say that for grading, "filmic" and really diving in to the post workflow the Blackmagic wins, all day long.
But if you just want good quality video, small file sizes and a wide dynamic range as well as really good stills, get the D750.

To make it even more complicated.
Ive been using the 5Dmkiii with ML Raw for a week now and imo its a marriage of the two above.
You can use it for great stills, lowlight, decent AVCHD 1080p (not as good as D750) but also awesome 14-bit Raw (not as fast as BMD). Its a great compromise. 
Also it has a imo very usable Raw slowmotion.

Here is a BMPCC vs D750 which I watched when deciding to get the D750. I think it shows that the BMPCC is "better" but not by far.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

i have to write down on paper the costs. As for the d750 or 5d mark3 i have to buy also the lenses. For BM i already have good fast primes. Maybe i should wait for the NAb although i don't think it will change the game, not now. Thanks for the link.

Wait for NAB could be wise.

Regarding the lenses you can sell them and buy nice used lenses for the DSLRs. Should break even.

For the D750 I like the 24-120/4 and a fast prime.

For the 5D I use the 24-105/4 IS and a 35/2 IS. 

Covers most situations. On the 5D the crop mode turns them into a 35/2, 105/2 and a 24-315/4. All with IS.

I really think the D750 is the best option unless you feel the need for RAW. Great image, 60p, very little RS, and small files that grade very well. Also Nikon glass can be adopted to anything, so if you get another camera in the future you won't have to sell your glass. The BMMCC needs an external moniter and can't be used for stills at all, which seems to strike your interest. 

2 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

i have to write down on paper the costs. As for the d750 or 5d mark3 i have to buy also the lenses. For BM i already have good fast primes. Maybe i should wait for the NAb although i don't think it will change the game, not now. Thanks for the link.

I'd wait till the 5D iv is announced/released. Canon Rumors reported a rumor that it will be much more video oriented. If you can hold off and are not in a hurry that would be my advice. Stinks that Olympus doesn't have better video- you've got some nice glass and the 5 axis image stabilization is so useful. If the 5D iv turns out to be nothing special, I'd wait till the Nikon D5 sensor is put in a cheaper full frame body.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I'd wait till the 5D iv is announced/released. Canon Rumors reported a rumor that it will be much more video oriented. If you can hold off and are not in a hurry that would be my advice. Stinks that Olympus doesn't have better video- you've got some nice glass and the 5 axis image stabilization is so useful. If the 5D iv turns out to be nothing special, I'd wait till the Nikon D5 sensor is put in a cheaper full frame body.

I would wait to se if that happens at NAB. But not to buy the 5Div. Instead to buy a cheap Mark iii. They are going to plummet as soon as the successor is out. 

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would wait to se if that happens at NAB. But not to buy the 5Div. Instead to buy a cheap Mark iii. They are going to plummet as soon as the successor is out. 

not only the mark iii will drop but the mark ii will go down to very low prices. It will for sure be one of the best images per price you can get.

28 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Off topic but how is Gunpowder? Is their hair growing back okay and they're starting to heal?

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Off topic but how is Gunpowder? Is their hair growing back okay and they're starting to heal?

The hair is coming in slowly. But she is walking around. Have to keep her still though to make sure she gradually starts using the knee.

Have a video of her on a under water treadmill on my Instagram.

This was yesterday.

IMG_20160319_140030.md.jpg

5 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

I dont' know which is better, but the 5D iii looks more real life to me. 

The grading is so subjective and the learning curve is tough with the pocket.

The 5D is so incredibly easy to make look awesome. The lowlight is also amazing.