Capturing once-in-a-lifetime moments: to raw or not to raw?

jase

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, jase said:

For an ND you mean? All variable ones i found seem all to have some issues...

FWIW, I just go with standard ND's.  Variable ND's are faster to use, but that particular convenience has never been important enough for me to accept the odd color cast and gradients it can create on certain shots. I'd say it really depends on how fast you need to be shooting or want to be shooting.

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, jase said:

For an ND you mean? All variable ones i found seem all to have some issues...

I don't use variable on RX100, to big.
But I use a fixed 52mm with a magfilter so I can ad it to the internal when needed.

(never had issues with variable accept for the size, just need to buy good once.)

5 hours ago, Vesku said:

GH4 and 14-140mm II needs a tripod. It has so bad OIS that no hand held system can remove the constant vibrating and jittering. The result is still good with post stab.

14-140 V.1 is fine. Even the 14-42 V.1 (Which I own) has excellent OIS compared to the newer models.

• 2 weeks later...

One thought that I had this weekend: isnt the bmpcc quite useful for run&gun - contrary what everybody said way back when it was released?

My idea: 

1. set the Pocket to RAW and ISO800, since everything else can be done in post - check.

2. set shutterangle to 180degrees - check.

3. Avoid the mediocre screen by using a zacuto loupe - check

3. attach a speedbooster and use either the sigma 18-35 or something canon like 2.8 with IS in combination with a variable nd. Now i just have to set aperture and the vnd in combination and im a done?

Sure, it still eats SD cards and batteries for breakfast, but other than that i have a RAW setup, which should be easy to handle? Or am i missing sth?

1 hour ago, jase said:

One thought that I had this weekend: isnt the bmpcc quite useful for run&gun - contrary what everybody said way back when it was released?

My idea: 

1. set the Pocket to RAW and ISO800, since everything else can be done in post - check.

2. set shutterangle to 180degrees - check.

3. Avoid the mediocre screen by using a zacuto loupe - check

3. attach a speedbooster and use either the sigma 18-35 or something canon like 2.8 with IS in combination with a variable nd. Now i just have to set aperture and the vnd in combination and im a done?

Sure, it still eats SD cards and batteries for breakfast, but other than that i have a RAW setup, which should be easy to handle? Or am i missing sth?

Weathersealing and stills.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Well than most of the widely used run n gun cameras are not useful for a southamerica trip.

I woulnt have a problem using a c100, bmpcc or some other non weather sealed camera in south america. Im sure you have seen lots of docus and movies from djungles shot on everything from DSLRs to s35mm film cameras.

Non weathersealed doesnt mean "made out of paper". One just needs some comon sense and creativity. Plus, rain covers exsist and are not expensive.

22 hours ago, Nikkor said:

So you think the BMPCC likes rain dust and humidty?

Mine, and because I've done more than look at it, I know, survived 4 months in the Australian outback, so dust...  yeah, it's fine. Humidity - I shot a shower scene once, three takes, half an hour, loads of steam - it's not as conclusive as the outback test but, it coped fine. It was mounted directly above the showerhead and in the most humid zone, according to light manufacturers bathroom fittings information.

Obviously, in both situations, I took care!

2 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

Mine, and because I've done more than look at it, I know, survived 4 months in the Australian outback, so dust...  yeah, it's fine. Humidity - I shot a shower scene once, three takes, half an hour, loads of steam - it's not as conclusive as the outback test but, it coped fine. It was mounted directly above the showerhead and in the most humid zone, according to light manufacturers bathroom fittings information.

So why not post that in the frist place. Anyway, I don't think it's true.

22 hours ago, Nikkor said:

So why not post that in the frist place. Anyway, I don't think it's true.

I'm not Mattias, I wasn't involved and had no interest in getting involved, but you are throwing out big words about a camera you've never even touched. Now, if someone is researching it, your judgement is immediately put into a correct context. That is what I care about. You believing me, not so much

I'm not throwing out big words, and I don't care about what's going on in your mind.

Nobody had mentioned weather sealing, and there is a reason it exists. Fact is, the BMPCC is one of the less weather resistant designes out there, it has open connectors and its a basic housing around a platine with a mount sticking on the front. Jase himself will have to decide if he thinks it's something he will need or not.

I had a d7000 that died in the rain, and that camera was weather resistant, I also had a D3 with a foggy screen because condensation formed behind the protective layer and until fixed you couldn't see a thing on it. I had a another camera that got condensation behind the sensor protection layer. Antoher fixed camera lens compact from panasonic that got dust behind the lens and there was no way of cleaning it,etc...