Capturing once-in-a-lifetime moments: to raw or not to raw?

jase

On 30 April 2016 at 10:48 PM, kidzrevil said:

@wolf33d a con of the GH4 is the photography ? Wtf ? Completely disagree

I am tired of people who dont know what they talk about and come to tell you wtf. Good for you man. Anyone a little bit serious about landscape/portrait photography wont use M43 and know why. 
I got the GH3 as well as the EM1. Very enjoyable to shoot with but shit in term of IQ for the following: 
- high ISO, compared to FF
- DR, compared to FF (well APSC does good here too here thanks to sensors like on the D7200 and Canon performs poorly this is clear)
- most importantly, and what most people never talk about: ability to push grading without the file breaking appart compared to FF (in RAW of course) in term of depth, colours, ... 

And for portrait too, with DoF. Try to get this result with a 28mm FF equivalent on you GH, which means a 14mm on M43 (I took this shot with the A7R II) and come back talk to me again.
https://500px.com/photo/135582633/no-country-for-old-men-by-loup-fsr

Compare a 1" sensor with a Medium format camera and observe the giant leap in IQ. It is exactly the same way with FF and M43, just a smaller gap. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@wolf33d I don't know what im talking about and you really think the GH4 Or any modern camera for the matter cant take a landscape shot cause of the sensor size ? Wow seriously ? I've shot with a multitude of cameras and never thought to myself "fuck im about to miss this shot because my sensor size is aps-c and not FF". Get out of here man I shot with everything from m43-FF on paid assignments & millitary photo assignments without issue. To each his own though. Btw if you want to see my work message me and you can test my level of knowledge there sir

Please keep in mind, we are talking about a guy who is asking for an affordable camera to do a little travel photography while he is on holiday. We are not even talking about a paid gig. I doubt if he considers a m43 camera to do so he's cheating himself or wont be able to capture these moments or whatever point you are trying to make smh

• Super Members
On 2016-04-30 at 4:05 PM, kidzrevil said:

I've shot for the military for a couple of years and the last thing they care about is DR. Any camera made in the new millenium with 10+ stops is capable of taking good pictures. Plus consumers dont care about any of that stuff anyway imo. Oh and the US military only use Nikon's....I even seen a d90 being put to use at one point in time lol. Anyway the GH4 is more than capable of taking good still photos especially if your work will only be displayed on the web. @Mattias Burling

Ive also shot for the military for many years and in my experience DR is important. Swedish army also use Nikon DSLRs, mostly, so exactly as I said then. They trade space for quality even though it means carrying less amo or medic supply. 

The photos you posted are good examples IMO. They are great but the camera is holding you back.

IMHO, stills with a g7 suck absolute balls. My cm1 smartphone is just as good, and that's a phone. Would never lug a big camera and lenses if I didn't get the return.

My Pen-f takes great jpegs and is a nice point and shoot. But no way I would use it professionally or as A-cam if it was an important once in a lifetime trip.

But I don'tunderstand your point, specially about "consumers". Who cares about them? We already know who the camera is for, no point in recommending something for " consumers in general" :)

No right or wrong here, just giving my thoughts to the guy looking for a camera.

@kidzrevil I never spoke about military in my OP that you quoted. Again, for my use and for many use M43 sensors are not good enough for photography. You keep continuing telling me you got paid for shots with M43 good for you. I am sure you could get a world class picture with an iPhone (see those Apple ads about this in the streets) and get paid for it. Does that means that a phone is enough of a camera for serious landscape photography? Not at all. M43 sensors are limited. FF are limited too if you compare them to Medium Format. But considering the price of FF today and the leap compared to M43 I don't see why I should limit myself. 

As for the OP, I advised him to actually go with a GH4 (based on my similar travel video experience with everything from M43 to FF) if he does not care much about photo. M43 is fine for travel photography. But if you want to capture a sunrise at 15000" on a tripod that will take you 2 hours of editing time on Photoshop to get this special shot, then it is not fine.

@Mattias Burling couldnt agree more.

Unless you are planning to lug a tripod around with you, forget about things like the 5D. What you need is something that has good stabilization in camera. Raw means squat if the camera is wobbling about - it will look like shit.

Some of the IBIS stabilized systems would work, or a camera with solid DIS, such as the NX1.

Thanks for all the comments from you guys, doesnt make it much easier, though :)

I checked my needs again and if I try to put the GAS aside, I think the RX100 fulfills nearly every of my needs except shallow(er) DoF. However as you guys pointed out, there is no THE camera. Stabilization is definitely wanted, so that removes the  BMPCC since there is no IS lens even with speedbooster that would give me nice DoF except the Canon 35 2.0 IS... yet with the speedbooster this will be sth like a 57mm FF equivalent which is too wide for my taste.

I ruled out the 5D mark 3. As nice as it looks like, it will be a waste of money since it will be pretty soon outdated due to the successor and I would need plenty of CF cards, etc... I think you guys reminded me of the fact that the process will be kind of cumbersome, especially when just being out their with my backpack. So long story short, I think RAW is not really an option.