Sony FS5 questions

Asmundma

I am concidering getting the FS5. Have the A7s2.

Is there a significant reduction in rolling shutter of the FS5 compare to A7s2 ?

Will it deliver 10bit 4:4:2 over SDI in 4k ? enabling recording with ShoGun.   (Know the Raw output should come later)

How is the autofocus system compared to A7s2 ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

Me too. 

Is there a significant reduction in rolling shutter of the FS5 compare to A7s2 ?

Yes, very much so. 

Will it deliver 10bit 4:4:2 over SDI in 4k ? enabling recording with ShoGun.   (Know the Raw output should come later)

Not currently, however the Odyssey 7Q update should be similar to the FS700 features according to the Convergent website. So could happen soon! I'm waiting too. 

I hear it's pretty good. But not Canon PDAF level of good. 

Personally, my thoughts are that the FS5 is a good HD camera, with acceptable 4k. It's not designed as a 4k camera - it's just got it there as a bonus, and because at its price point it would be hard to sell an HD only camera in the current marketplace.

It's a great documentary and drone/gimbal camera, and the HD is quite nice. Slowmo is great too. The 4k will not be significantly better than an A7sII, and at the moment the 4k SDI out of the FS5 is limited to 8-bit (which is what you get out of an A7s(II)).

Depends what you want/need.

Of course, the potential FS-raw release may change things

6 hours ago, jax_rox said:

Personally, my thoughts are that the FS5 is a good HD camera, with acceptable 4k. It's not designed as a 4k camera - it's just got it there as a bonus, and because at its price point it would be hard to sell an HD only camera in the current marketplace.

Agreed, that is a point I have also often made about the FS5 when people complain about it. While it is a bummer it lacks proper 4K, it should be viewed as more like a direct C100 mk2 competitor, which doesn't have *ANY* form of 4K at all! So the fact FS5 has any 4K at all is a bonus over the C100 mk2

Of course, the potential FS-raw release may change things

Doubtful, as the FS7 raw was a disappointment. Squeezing 14 stops into 12bit linear raw doesn't work out well...  this is one area where the F5 keeps a large benefit over the FS7.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed, that is a point I have also often made about the FS5 when people complain about it. While it is a bummer it lacks proper 4K, it should be viewed as more like a direct C100 mk2 competitor, which doesn't have *ANY* form of 4K at all! So the fact FS5 has any 4K at all is a bonus over the C100 mk2

Doubtful, as the FS7 raw was a disappointment. Squeezing 14 stops into 12bit linear raw doesn't work out well...  this is one area where the F5 keeps a large benefit over the FS7.

The FS700 has very solid features with the Odyssey 7Q that will be relevant for more years to come. 

It would be disappointing if the FS5 can't at least match it - nothing has been said yet other than confirmation. 

44 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The FS700 has very solid features with the Odyssey 7Q that will be relevant for more years to come. 

It would be disappointing if the FS5 can't at least match it.

Especially considering that the FS5 is much more a successor to the FS700 than a step-down from the FS7.

15 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It would be disappointing if the FS5 can't at least match it - nothing has been said yet other than confirmation. 

Don't forget - the FS700 cost the same as the FS7 when it was released, and the firmware upgrade was paid as well.

The FS5 is $3k cheaper than an FS700 at release + paid raw upgrade.

In addition, Sony aren't going to give you F5 quality in a $5k camera + raw/recorder. Their plan with the FS700 was to get people to buy their off-board raw unit and that didn't work out so well. 

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I think that's also why the form factor is the way it is. It's a C100 competitor at its core. 4k is a bonus. Not only that, Sony has 4k TVs they want to sell, and by bolstering their entire camera range with 4k, it gives an extra incentive for people to buy 4k TVs. 

If you want proper 4k acquisition, Sony want you to buy an FS7, F5 or F55

If don't mind the Sony look, the FS700/7Q is an absolutely killer bargain. The body is around 2500-3000 and the recorders are around 1500-2000. You get 4K/60p continuous, 4k/120fps in bursts, etc. It has great practical use, (interviews, long recording times,) but also is a cool toy with lots of features like 120fps and RAW recording. 

The sharpness and detail are amazing, the colors are pretty terrible. You can get a nice looking image, but you won't get that beautiful saturated look that a canon can produce in almost any situation. There's a guy on vimeo that does pretty beautiful stylized fashion stuff with the setup. Anyone who does corporate work with lots of talking head is so much better off with a c100mkii or even the original c100. 

• Administrators
On 18 March 2016 at 2:30 PM, Asmundma said:

Yes, massive difference.

No the SDI is 8bit.

HDMI 10bit 4:2:2 though

A7S2 has crap AF.

FS5 a bit better.

Neither as good as A6300 or C100 Mark II.

50 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

No the SDI is 8bit.

That's not right. The SDI is HD only and 10bit 4:2:2. The HDMI is UHD but at 8bit 4:2:2 (although one could argue that extracting UHD 4:2:2 from a UHD bayer sensor is impossible)

Regardless I find the UHD quite usable and the autofocus is very good if if you've got Sony glass on. I use this camera on a gimble a lot and about 90% of my footage comes out sharp. 

The main thing that annoys me about this camera is the sensitivity. I wish it had been rated at 1600 for s-log cause at 3200 you need to overexpose by at least a stop. I record to a shogun and have created a couple of LUTs which de-log and bring exposure down by 1 stop and 2 stops. 

On 3/19/2016 at 2:58 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

Oh for sure, FS700 raw is great by all accounts. I'm not saying it is not!

But the FS700 is not the FS7, so it doesn't need to squeeze so many stop of dynamic range into a tiny 10bit linear raw container. And that is the big issue and disappointment with the FS7. And why F5 is vastly superior for raw than the FS7.

On 3/20/2016 at 6:50 PM, jax_rox said:

I think that's also why the form factor is the way it is. It's a C100 competitor at its core. 4k is a bonus. Not only that, Sony has 4k TVs they want to sell, and by bolstering their entire camera range with 4k, it gives an extra incentive for people to buy 4k TVs. 

If you want proper 4k acquisition, Sony want you to buy an FS7, F5 or F55

Exactly! Is going to be a few years yet until Sony will give you "proper 4K" at an FS5 price point. Maybe the "FS5 mk2", but that is a few years away, and it quite likely will not even then. Wait for the "FS5 mk3"! hahaha

Meanwhile BMD has been giving us 10bit 4K at affordable prices for years and years with the BMPC4K and more :-D 

On 3/20/2016 at 7:11 PM, BenEricson said:

If don't mind the Sony look, the FS700/7Q is an absolutely killer bargain. The body is around 2500-3000 and the recorders are around 1500-2000. You get 4K/60p continuous, 4k/120fps in bursts, etc. It has great practical use, (interviews, long recording times,) but also is a cool toy with lots of features like 120fps and RAW recording. 

I am astonished at how cheaply the FS700 has been going recently! If I can't afford an F5 come next year, then I'll likely pick up an FS700 for cheap instead to complement my existing F3.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

FS5 gives 10bit 422 4K over HDMI??? I too thought it was just for HD.  What are the gotchas? Losing all other monitoring?

36 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I am astonished at how cheaply the FS700 has been going recently! If I can't afford an F5 come next year, then I'll likely pick up an FS700 for cheap instead to complement my existing F3.

Personally, I don't particularly like the FS700. I was also never a fan of the image out of it - 4k raw may be a different story, but internally it was also pretty 'meh'. Nowhere near the level of an F3 (though we're talking about a camera that was 1/2 the price of an F3).

48 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

Personally, I don't particularly like the FS700. I was also never a fan of the image out of it - 4k raw may be a different story, but internally it was also pretty 'meh'. Nowhere near the level of an F3 (though we're talking about a camera that was 1/2 the price of an F3).

True true, *if* I was ever to buy an FS700, I'd only be using it when explicitly one (or more) of slow motion / raw / 4K is needed. Rest of the time the F3 is better.