BMMCC and URSA 4.6K finally shipping!

cojocaru27

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 hours ago, andrgl said:

Is there honestly a worse screen out there?

Ive never had any issues with it. Used it on countless projects. But there are better once of course.

Imo, its a cinema camera so its just for settings and emergency framing. And in that segment its one of the best screens out there. Much better than the Bolex and the one on the back of the Red One which doesnt show picture at all.

17 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

If the URSA mini has lost the Global Shutter, thats one thing. But if the Micro has lost it... then I see Zero reasons to by it unless you are a drone shooter or in desperate need for slowmo.

Am in desperate need for slowmo to match my BMCC footage A7s on slog2 is heard to match with BMCC

• Super Members
2 hours ago, viranikenya said:

Am in desperate need for slowmo to match my BMCC footage A7s on slog2 is heard to match with BMCC

Then the Micro is probably a great buy. Small and light as well, which of course is excellent for a b/c cam. 

If you arent too picky with resolution and want a Raw camera for slowmo that also doubles as a stills camera and has good lowlight, Im currently testing the 5Dmk3 and Im impressed. Easy to match since you switch it to BMD film.

The Ursa Mini 4.6k has increased in price, well at least in the UK by £400-£500. 

Still, it's an incredible image for the asking price and will likely drop in a year when the camera has matured. 

It's hard to predict what they'll announce at NAB this time, maybe a Pocket Ursa with new sensor. What ever market gap there is, then Blackmagic will be on it!

10 hours ago, andrgl said:
8 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I dont think so. I picked it up today bc i forgot. I can barely even judge focus. 

Is there honestly a worse screen out there?

Can't disagree more - i've used loads of cameras over the years and it isn't the greatest, but its not the worst. I think people just like complaining & have been really spoilt over the years - I remeber the screen on the Sony Z1 & that was laughable, but still useable!

Obviously, you'd be insane to use it for a tracking shot whilst focus pulling, but its a pocket camera & if you use a viewfinder, its fine.

I've never missed focus with the Pocket's screen & i'm only using a cheap £10 viewfinder that I bought on Amazon for my old 60D - i'm going to upgrade soon to the Zacuto or the otherone whose name escapes me.

18 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Can't disagree more - i've used loads of cameras over the years and it isn't the greatest, but its not the worst. I think people just like complaining & have been really spoilt over the years - I remeber the screen on the Sony Z1 & that was laughable, but still useable!

Obviously, you'd be insane to use it for a tracking shot whilst focus pulling, but its a pocket camera & if you use a viewfinder, its fine.

I've never missed focus with the Pocket's screen & i'm only using a cheap £10 viewfinder that I bought on Amazon for my old 60D - i'm going to upgrade soon to the Zacuto or the otherone whose name escapes me.

Never used the Z1 but damn I can't imagine how bad that must've been. Like Mattias said it's mainly for menu controls. i turn the brightness down to 25% just so I can see the menu, to save battery life.

Just now, AaronChicago said:

Never used the Z1 but damn I can't imagine how bad that must've been. Like Mattias said it's mainly for menu controls. i turn the brightness down to 25% just so I can see the menu, to save battery life.

Don't get me started with the menus! Damn they are a real pain, but not as bad as Sony, where you can spend days digging around, and they've never learnt in all the years of making cameras!

But in the end, the Pocket has one of the best images i've ever seen for a camera at that price point & everything else I can put up with - stunning doesn't even do it justice.

I'm now really happy that i can spend some money in other areas, since the Micro won't have global shutter.

I wonder why they didn't think about releasing 2 versions - 1 Rolling & 1 Global? I'd have taken the hit in DR for Global every day of the week! IMHO high DR is for all those "I'll fix it in post" people - shit i no longer even bother using RAW with the Pocket, just too time consuming.

5 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I wonder why they didn't think about releasing 2 versions - 1 Rolling & 1 Global? I'd have taken the hit in DR for Global every day of the week! IMHO high DR is for all those "I'll fix it in post" people - shit i no longer even bother using RAW with the Pocket, just too time consuming.

I like high DR. 

I light EVERY scene I shoot, and high DR gives the picture a massive boost in quality, as the shadows to midtones to highlights smoothly roll into one another. When I switch back to a normal REC709 profile - it's actually much more time consuming to light within that range, get a smooth roll off and make it look "filmic" than shooting in a high DR log mode.

Post is an incredibly powerful tool, too time consuming or not. If you light and expose correctly, then High DR footage is absolutely delightful to work with. :)

22 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I like high DR. 

I light EVERY scene I shoot, and high DR gives the picture a massive boost in quality, as the shadows to midtones to highlights smoothly roll into one another. When I switch back to a normal REC709 profile - it's actually much more time consuming to light within that range, get a smooth roll off and make it look "filmic" than shooting in a high DR log mode.

Post is an incredibly powerful tool, too time consuming or not. If you light and expose correctly, then High DR footage is absolutely delightful to work with. :)

Yeah, I know & am kinda with you, but just a little lazy & for most of what I do, at the moment, it doesn't really matter.

For me Global Shutter is more important & I'd take the extra hassle just for that. I mean what are we talking, the difference between 10/12 stops vs. 14/15?

I'll go back to my comment about screens, we're just spoilt at the moment & most just don't know how lucky they are! Yeah it makes life a little easier, but where's the fun in that - I want a little bit of a challenge. Its a bit like people who don't think you should/can blow highlights a little - yeah you can, but just don't make it ugly.

Then there's the motion cadence of the Global Shutter - I mean, come on!

23 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Yeah, I know & am kinda with you, but just a little lazy & for most of what I do, at the moment, it doesn't really matter.

For me Global Shutter is more important & I'd take the extra hassle just for that. I mean what are we talking, the difference between 10/12 stops vs. 14/15?

I'll go back to my comment about screens, we're just spoilt at the moment & most just don't know how lucky they are! Yeah it makes life a little easier, but where's the fun in that - I want a little bit of a challenge. Its a bit like people who don't think you should/can blow highlights a little - yeah you can, but just don't make it ugly.

Then there's the motion cadence of the Global Shutter - I mean, come on!

I was under the impression motion cadence is also heavily dependent on the codec used, intraframe vs interframe.

40 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I was under the impression motion cadence is also heavily dependent on the codec used, intraframe vs interframe.

Not sure if i used the right term there? Damn! Its one of those terms that really means nothing after all. And yes it does have something to do with the codec used, but also how the sensor works/captures whole frozen frames without any or too much motion skewing?

But my point was meant to be that I really like how some GS cameras capture motion (DB in particular), but this could just be down to the expertise of the operator. Basically, 24p is 24p and all things being equal, there should be no difference, and for most modern cameras there isn't really! However, everytime I see some GS footage, it just seems to capture movement in a more pleasing way - here i'm talking about the cheap cameras, not the high end stuff.

But I'm nit picking really as the URSA mini 4.6k is the first camera (in its price bracket) that seems to capture motion really nicely - so perhaps BM decided that GS really wasn't necessary after all because the difference was minute (all the high end cams have RS not GS - Alexa, Red etc...).

16 hours ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

but whats genius about BMD is that in fact they just hold you from buying other products with a meta product, and while you wait for it you don't consume other brands. I have nothing in favor or against. Ironically thanks to this I still have my 5d mark 2.

Blackmagic doing voodoo on consumers since 2012 NAB. 

I guess you could argue that if they never actually shipped anything....And if there was something else that compared with the very first camera they made....

JB

2 hours ago, John Brawley said:

I guess you could argue that if they never actually shipped anything....And if there was something else that compared with the very first camera they made....

JB

Don't take me too serious. I think what blackmagic is offering is really great. but they put you on hold. They keep you waiting and interested. And they can do that because they deliver. But while you wait you don't consume other brands.  I was very interested in this camera and i waited for it. Mainly because of the global shutter. Now they say they can't do it. So I will wait again for the next NAB, lets see what cameras they will announce. I'm not angry or frustrated or anything like that. I actually think they are doing a good job on stopping this frantic obsession for updating your camera system. they give you a glimpse of the future. And you wait for it. But honestly the way this works with me is kind of strange, Because I can never feel the will to update i always feel i could do better. 

15 minutes ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

Don't take me too serious. I think what blackmagic is offering is really great. but they put you on hold. They keep you waiting and interested. And they can do that because they deliver. But while you wait you don't consume other brands.  I was very interested in this camera and i waited for it. Mainly because of the global shutter. Now they say they can't do it. So I will wait again for the next NAB, lets see what cameras they will announce. I'm not angry or frustrated or anything like that. I actually think they are doing a good job on stopping this frantic obsession for updating your camera system. they give you a glimpse of the future. And you wait for it. But honestly the way this works with me is kind of strange, Because I can never feel the will to update i always feel i could do better. 

This wait thing is fine,  assuming you don't have to shoot anything. Clearly some companies can be taken at their word to deliver what they promise, and others cannot. I vote with my wallet:-)

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:21 AM, cojocaru27 said:

As per usual procedure, just before NAB when the next best thing will be announced :)

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, KrisAK said:

Wow. That comes across as one of those "sorry to inform you" Kickstarter updates.

Why would they announce the global-shutter BMMCC if it hadn't been successfully prototyped and tested?

So that the suckers will pre-order of course. BM's thing is that they are "first" with anything. Delivering "first" is less important, but being able to say "first" is.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, tugela said:

So that the suckers will pre-order of course. BM's thing is that they are "first" with anything. Delivering "first" is less important, but being able to say "first" is.

Having the absolute best image quality/dollar is also their thing. All the ripping would be cool, but it just falls flat when their is no competition. Its easy for BMD to say,
"Ok, go and buy one of the other super small 60p Raw shooting cameras with 13 stops for a thousand dollars....."

One can say Sony this and Samsung that, but at the end of the day, their by now old BMCC still runs circles and then stops and murder anything Panasony has tried to release the last couple of years. If we look at just the image.
Canon is sort of in the same league with some help from hackers. So is Bolex but they only have one model.