A7SII 4K Workflow

Alex Moreán

Hey guys

So I've been shooting stuff in 4k for a coupple of months now, and experimenting with different methods to try not to kill myself during post production stage.

I come from a Nikon D5300 so everything until now has been pretty much plug an play, drag and drop... So now with this huge leap of quality (and file size) I'm struggling a little bit. My computer is also struggling, even though it´s an i7 + 16gb Ram + Geforce GTX M860 (I think the card is not supported....)(Premiere Editing), so I´m thinking of three different options:

- Dual Rec: getting the proxies directly from the camera is incredibly convinient, but do you guys know if doing so affects the footage quality in any way?

- Transcoding: I read somewhere that transcoding to Mpeg-2 is the best options since it´s the most premierepro friendly format. Is this accurate? Would I lose a lot of quality? Could I use that footage to deliver the final version or it would have to be replaced as a regular proxy to get the most out of the footage?

- Creating proxies: the good old art of creating a low res proxy, nothing to specify.

Thanks guys!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/8/2016 at 1:00 AM, Alex Moreán said:

Hey guys

So I've been shooting stuff in 4k for a coupple of months now, and experimenting with different methods to try not to kill myself during post production stage.

I come from a Nikon D5300 so everything until now has been pretty much plug an play, drag and drop... So now with this huge leap of quality (and file size) I'm struggling a little bit. My computer is also struggling, even though it´s an i7 + 16gb Ram + Geforce GTX M860 (I think the card is not supported....)(Premiere Editing), so I´m thinking of three different options:

- Dual Rec: getting the proxies directly from the camera is incredibly convinient, but do you guys know if doing so affects the footage quality in any way?

- Transcoding: I read somewhere that transcoding to Mpeg-2 is the best options since it´s the most premierepro friendly format. Is this accurate? Would I lose a lot of quality? Could I use that footage to deliver the final version or it would have to be replaced as a regular proxy to get the most out of the footage?

- Creating proxies: the good old art of creating a low res proxy, nothing to specify.

Thanks guys!

Enable your Cuda cores. That will make a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

Do the proxies that you are getting from the dual record feature sync with the 4K footage? I would love to edit with those rather than spending time in post making proxies from my 4K footage, but the files coming out of the A7S I'm using are about ten frames out of sync with each other- making the process of editing with the proxies, then replacing the files not doable.

Do I have some hidden settings wrong? Am I ingesting the footage from the card incorrectly? Any idea?