Help me pick! Samsung NX1 vs Sony Alpha a6300 vs Sony Alpha a7S II

Curtis Ross

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 06/03/2016 at 9:49 AM, Phil A said:

If you talk about normal, current Canon lenses like the L series stuff, I would rule out the NX1. There's no way of electronically controlling the aperture with these because there are no smart adapters for Samsung.

If he hasn't bought any lenses yet then buying an NX1 isn't a problem as he can just do the sensible thing and purchase Nikon F mount lenses instead 

• Super Members

This is slightly of topic but I wanted to share.
Did a side by side of the NX1 and RX100iv and noticed how much sharper the NX1 (often to sharp).
And when both cameras are at their default settings.. man its like a knife.

Same settings on both, ND on both, no correcting, standard PP.
UHD 25p frame grabs.

(click for full res)

RX100iv
Rx100Text.md.jpg

NX1
NX1Text.md.jpg

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

This is slightly of topic but I wanted to share.
Did a side by side of the NX1 and RX100iv and noticed how much sharper the NX1 (often to sharp).
And when both cameras are at their default settings.. man its like a knife.

I realize it's sharpening more than detail.. though I've seen some evidence there's an insane amount of detail in the nx1's 4k as well. but to me, the nx1's sharpness is way less of a defect that it can be in some other cameras. it usually isn't like an artifact to make it look shitty and videolike unless you're really punching in or in certain shooting situations. I'd like to see some side by sides by the nx1 users who soften it a bit to fix the bit of an issue. because even now, I hardly consider it a bad thing. it's a great image

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Liam said:

I realize it's sharpening more than detail.. though I've seen some evidence there's an insane amount of detail in the nx1's 4k as well. but to me, the nx1's sharpness is way less of a defect that it can be in some other cameras. it usually isn't like an artifact to make it look shitty and videolike unless you're really punching in or in certain shooting situations. I'd like to see some side by sides by the nx1 users who soften it a bit to fix the bit of an issue. because even now, I hardly consider it a bad thing. it's a great image

I used to dial it down in sharpness and contrast etc. Now days.. nope. I shoot in Gamma DR but leave sharpness, saturation, contrast at default.
Think the image is great.

nxgraint.md.jpg

6 minutes ago, Liam said:

I think there is confusion over what "sharpening" does and what real resolution is. Sharpening will thicken lines so they stand out. This thickening can therefore actually reduce resolution by obscuring fine lines that are close together. The RX100 IV has excess sharpening, which actually makes the default resolution lower than what it is capable of. The NX1 uses much less artificial sharpening than most cameras in default. Its real resolution capability is significantly better than that of any Sony camera. The default NX1 resolution is great. To get the most out of the Sony's you probably have to dial down sharpening.

I think that the "sharpening" parameter on different cameras does different things as well. On some it may involve post processing in camera to produce something like what you would get in an NLE, in others it is just a debeyering parameter. So to use or recommend a specific SOP for all cameras is probably misleading unless you know for sure what each manufacturer means by "sharpening".

28 minutes ago, tugela said:

I think that the "sharpening" parameter on different cameras does different things as well. On some it may involve post processing in camera to produce something like what you would get in an NLE, in others it is just a debeyering parameter. So to use or recommend a specific SOP for all cameras is probably misleading unless you know for sure what each manufacturer means by "sharpening".

Yes, but in the Sony's it is prior to compression, and in fact there are many parameters that one can change with respect to "sharpening." It is not just one slider up or down to sharpen.

• 2 months later...

I sold my A7s II and bought an A6300 because upon comparing these two cameras, I was getting more detail out of the A6300 in S35 24P since it upsamples 2.4x... something the A7s ii doesn't do. Also I was able to use the extra 1800.00 to buy a 24-70 GM lens when it's available.  I could careless about the 5x Stab and shooting low light for my needs. Can't beat this camera for 1000.00 or a bit less used.