Feck me, Vimeo sucks now!

MattH

1 hour ago, DPStewart said:

Guys - nobody is saying that it's "100% failing for 100% of everybody 100% of the time."
Saying "it works for me" doesn't address the observed behavior by those who ARE having these brand new problems since Vimeo has changed their streaming methodology.

Yeah, but if you conduct a survey on whether or not vimeo sucks now, do you ignore the "no" reponses and just take the "yes" responses as a definitive answer? The "yes" answers are meaningless on their own. If 2/5 people say "yes" and 3/5 people say "no", does vimeo suck now? I was almost ready to cancel my vimeo plus account, but after testing it myself and seeing a few people here not having the problem, it made me reconsider. I'm not totally decided yet, but both experiences are important data in that decision making. That's why I reported my results anyway.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

Yeah, but if you conduct a survey on whether or not vimeo sucks now, do you ignore the "no" reponses and just take the "yes" responses as a definitive answer? The "yes" answers are meaningless on their own. If 2/5 people say "yes" and 3/5 people say "no", does vimeo suck now?

i hear ya matt! but people like me want that to be a 5/5 when it comes to playing 1080 without reverting to standard def mush.  some say thats the point of vimeo – controlling what the audience sees, despite the users connection speed

2 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Yeah, but if you conduct a survey on whether or not vimeo sucks now, do you ignore the "no" reponses and just take the "yes" responses as a definitive answer? The "yes" answers are meaningless on their own. If 2/5 people say "yes" and 3/5 people say "no", does vimeo suck now? I was almost ready to cancel my vimeo plus account, but after testing it myself and seeing a few people here not having the problem, it made me reconsider. I'm not totally decided yet, but both experiences are important data in that decision making. That's why I reported my results anyway.

Of course Matt, your experience is relevant, but just be sure and quantify it as much as you reasonably can.

It's like when we're all trying to find out if there's a bug in some new software release - we need to flush out and get clear on exactly what all the conditions are that either trigger the bug, or avoid the bug. But in all those instances we still know that the bug really is there, even if many people are not experiencing it. That's how we pin it down, right?

As for Vimeo's reliability - some people having the problem and others not having it should be the BIGGEST red flag for you. If everyone was getting the problem, then we know it would almost certainly get addressed by the company and fixed. But when it's unpredictable, then that's when problems drag out for too long and don't get fixed. It also means that if YOU pay for Vimeo's sevice because you need your work to look good either to your client's or to your subjects, or even just for the sake of your own hard work and effort - then having UNRELIABLE service is exactly what you don't want.

1 hour ago, squig said:

I was going to post the crowdfunding trailer for my feature on vimeo, but now that I can't choose the playback quality it makes a lot more sense to post it on youtube.

id love to see your trailer squig go get em

...sooo does vimeo know about youtube? like do they even? its a v popular website

i NEVER get links to vimeo from people who arent filmmaking people @VimeoStaff. NEVER. this is a niche which you need to serve. its your only hope

lasvegasbarbie does not post on vimeo for a reason. and when i want to watch serval videos do you know where i go? legit shows like jay lenos garage arent coming over any time soon... imagine saying that to jays producer, "vimeo". theyd laugh at you and for good reason

At the start, when they rolled this nonsense out, it appeared to be ok. However, recently it just sucks big time - no buffering is the biggest problem!

I've got a feeling that they just assume that everyone is watching on their phones & not on computers, which for a company like Vimeo comes across as either naive or just damn insulting, considering that they started out as a service with no adverts for filmmakers that want to display/share their work with other like minded people.

But, unfortuneately most people ARE just watching on their phones (look at the amount of profiles on Vimeo that have never uploaded a single video!) & they can no longer ignore or compete with YouTube. I just wonder how much of this is about profit margins? Is it easier & cheaper for them to go down this road? Probably! No, almost certainly!

The one thing that I do know is that I'm no longer going to pay for their services. I might reconsider if they change things, but at the moment, if you need people to see your clips or things, then YouTube WILL get you the biggest audience - there's no question about this! If you use it to show clients footage, then I really do think most people understand about how bad the internet is/can be for viewing things. In fact, I've had people ask me why I haven't used YouTube, more than comments about the quality of the image.

NB. Has anyone used the Vimeo App on their TV? I tried using Chromecast the other day to stream something from my phone & boy did it suck - it didn't fill the HD screen & was a soft mushy load of nonsense! I was just wondering if the dedicated TV App produced a better image...

I have a Vimeo Pro account with embeds on my website. I just gave it a quick try. While the player defaults to auto it seems to start out SD then snap into HD in a couple of seconds. That doesn't seem too bad. I can select the res manually too and it snaps to what I select pretty quickly. Then again my bandwidth is pretty good.

pnXgS4h.png

4 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I was just wondering if the dedicated TV App produced a better image...

The Apple TV looks and works great! 

Vimeo sucks. I can't believed they've extracted hundreds of dollars from me over the years for a comparable experience and quality to YouTube (increasingly inferior). Like the whole pressured upgrade thing is a major dick move. You have to wait 45 minutes in the queue for your video to start encoding. This does nothing to help their speeds or anything, it's just an arbitrary punishment for not paying. 

Just adding an update - the vimeo player now seems to instantly play everything in the highest res it can. I don't know if the player was testing my connection earlier before deciding what to default at but it works fine now. That's not to discount the problems others are having but at least Vimeo seem to be listening and tweaking as they go. I'd much rather my viewers had a smooth un-buffered experience then see the dreaded buffer sign.

I've been a Plus member for 5 years and am just about done with Vimeo - the site is becoming less and less useable...Adaptive Streaming has killed much of my enjoyment of using Vimeo, can no longer cue up 3-4 videos and have them buffer (much more preferable to watching them  "NOW!" at crap resolution), the lack of scaling options (aka watching at native resolution) makes my videos and those of others that upload in 720p look like mush when upscaled automatically (no choice here) to full screen of my 24" monitor (hate to think what they look like on larger screens), the ineffective and unnecessary message overlaid (what were they thinking?) at the top of videos ("having issues...")...the only thing keeping me there at the moment is the content.

I cant believe im even considering moving to youtube smh. I heard somewhere that even if you mastered or planned to master a file in 2k you should upscale it to 4k with a high bit rate to force youtube or vimeo to display the footage at the services highest bitrate

Since vimeo is not getting advertisement money. They must handle the associated cost of 4k in terms of storage and bandwidth. Implementing this auto-resolution thing might be solution to compensate the 4K. In other words give on one side and take it back from the other side.

On 06/03/2016 at 5:57 PM, CMB said:

I have a Vimeo Pro account with embeds on my website. I just gave it a quick try. While the player defaults to auto it seems to start out SD then snap into HD in a couple of seconds. That doesn't seem too bad. I can select the res manually too and it snaps to what I select pretty quickly. Then again my bandwidth is pretty good.

pnXgS4h.png

The Apple TV looks and works great! 

You have to be joking even testing for a bandwidth issue if that is your connection.  That upload destroyes about 99% of peoples download.  You could probably live-stream 8k with that connection.  Its like a member of a swat team walking down the street saying "well I dont see any muggers".

Basically the data rate of a vimeo HD video is about 4.8 megabit per second.  If your connection is always above that you will never see this issue.

Lets say your downstream is only half that, you would clearly need to stop the video and let half of the video buffer.  The maximum buffer is now only 20 seconds, so anyone with a connection slower than 2.4 meg will not be able to watch from beggining to end a HD video that is longer than 40 seconds.

If yout connection is 3/4ths of 4.8 you will need to buffer a quarter of the video, which means anyone with a 3.6 meg connection will not be able to watch from beggining to end a HD video that is longer than 1 minutes 20 seconds.

Trust me, speeds this low are not uncommon at all. many rural exchanges in the UK are limited to 2 meg.

I got my first message from Vimeo, whilst watching a video at 1080p, saying that is should change the quality.

Never had a problem before (even after they implemented their new system) & now they seem to have crippled the playback even more!

So they seem to have been taking even more steps backwards.

I wonder if this is because I cancelled my auto payment? Hmmm, makes you wonder...

Yep.  It sucks in Indiana too..  It was fine.  I don't get it.  I type something in the search bar and it contemplates your request now like its using the Dewey decimal system.

5 hours ago, MattH said:

You have to be joking even testing for a bandwidth issue if that is your connection.  That upload destroyes about 99% of peoples download.  You could probably live-stream 8k with that connection.  Its like a member of a swat team walking down the street saying "well I dont see any muggers".

Basically the data rate of a vimeo HD video is about 4.8 megabit per second.  If your connection is always above that you will never see this issue.

Lets say your downstream is only half that, you would clearly need to stop the video and let half of the video buffer.  The maximum buffer is now only 20 seconds, so anyone with a connection slower than 2.4 meg will not be able to watch from beggining to end a HD video that is longer than 40 seconds.

If yout connection is 3/4ths of 4.8 you will need to buffer a quarter of the video, which means anyone with a 3.6 meg connection will not be able to watch from beggining to end a HD video that is longer than 1 minutes 20 seconds.

Trust me, speeds this low are not uncommon at all. many rural exchanges in the UK are limited to 2 meg.

connection level = God.

Just uploaded a video to vimeo...my connection here is pretty fast and still the quality is absolutely terrible. This is tragic dude. My one and only source for delivery is the web and now its making less and less sense of owning a 4k camera w/ high end lenses if vimeo is going to destroy yhe footage like it is. Doubt my output on vimeo ever exceeded 720p