The ND Throttle Rules

Mattias Burling

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sorry, Im currently not in possession of a stills camera that can use them. I only have a 5Dmk3 and a Gm1 for digital stills.
But I can sell the Sony version (or mft but I suspect its for the A7) to you for a good price, shipping included since you live close :) 

Ah bummer, thanks for the offer but i need a canon mount version of it since i have oympus, nikon and m42 glass.  But thanks anyway :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

So does the lowest setting of the ND throttle still apply neutral density to the image? If so, this product is still useless... as you would need to change your mount adapter in lower light settings.

Yes, there is always a minimum of neutral density, you lose a stop or two. So, indoors or in lowlight, you would need a different adapter. But if you have a full day of exteriors, especially in bright sun, it can't be beat. 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, jacoblewis said:

So does the lowest setting of the ND throttle still apply neutral density to the image? If so, this product is still useless... as you would need to change your mount adapter in lower light settings.

Not exactly useless imo since on a Sony its probably 1% of the time I would need to do that. And changing the adapter is 10 times faster and easier than unscrewing a filter.

53 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Not exactly useless imo since on a Sony its probably 1% of the time I would need to do that. And changing the adapter is 10 times faster and easier than unscrewing a filter.

But the fastest way to use some ND is this:

http://www.xumeadapters.com

But you have to carry those filters with ya.

I have used Xume adapters on field very much. In really rough conditions and heavy run&gun stuff. Yes, I have knocked off my filters few times, but those bumps/knocks been HEAVY. But my filters have survived until this day. And if the day comes that I broke a filter, well I can buy a new one not a big deal. Really recommend.

I like ND Throttle idea but it's quite useless on my situation, because I keep always my Speedbooster on my camera. Is the ND Throttle technology same as inside the FaderND filters (two polarizing filters on top of each other)? I use faderND a lot in quick and fast situations. But if I demand to keep quality and don't want to mess with reflections and weird artifacts then the normal ND's are the only option.

Actually now that I watched the video in the beginning of the topic, I saw that you are talking about Xume adapters. Also saw that you have reviewed those :)

Have you Mattias noticed some weird reflections changing with the ND Throttle? That's one big minus with ND Faders. Been sometime in a bit trouble after shooting some faces and used ND Fader. It may cause some serious issues with skin tones. So hard ND filters is safe bet.

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, Teemu said:

But the fastest way to use some ND is this:

http://www.xumeadapters.com

But you have to carry those filters with ya.

I have used Xume adapters on field very much. In really rough conditions and heavy run&gun stuff. Yes, I have knocked off my filters few times, but those bumps/knocks been HEAVY. But my filters have survived until this day. And if the day comes that I broke a filter, well I can buy a new one not a big deal. Really recommend.

I like ND Throttle idea but it's quite useless on my situation, because I keep always my Speedbooster on my camera. Is the ND Throttle technology same as inside the FaderND filters (two polarizing filters on top of each other)? I use faderND a lot in quick and fast situations. But if I demand to keep quality and don't want to mess with reflections and weird artifacts then the normal ND's are the only option.

Actually now that I watched the video in the beginning of the topic, I saw that you are talking about Xume adapters. Also saw that you have reviewed those :)

Have you Mattias noticed some weird reflections changing with the ND Throttle? That's one big minus with ND Faders. Been sometime in a bit trouble after shooting some faces and used ND Fader. It may cause some serious issues with skin tones. So hard ND filters is safe bet.

I also have the Xume adapters and they arent faster nor better imo. But if you need a speed booster, have a Canon, etc they of course makes more sence.

No problem with reflections or color. Very high quality fader.

I often need a polariser shooting over water and I hate stacking it on top of an ND. I bought the ND throttle to avoid this and so far love it. 

The only downside is I have a lot of Sony native glass and not many manual ef lenses yet!

i also have the xume gear and find unless you have heaps of them at different sizes to adapt all your lenses it's still a pain in the ass. Gets expensive too.  Almost all my shooting is outdoors so always needing filters.