a7r ii nothing but headaches.

amsh89es335

Again: 

> LOG is a profile meant to optimize the dynamic range.

> It doesn't free you from setting WB*¹ and to expose correctly*²

*1: actually, setting WB to daylight or tungsten should suffice. 

*2: more so for LOG!

> You do not need a LUT to grade it, but if the manufacturer provides the LUT (and given you set WB and exposure!) the image must already have perfectly neutral colors. And why wouldn't it? Don Kotlos answers:

22 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Again, Slog is only one part of the equation. Then there are color gammut, white balance (temp + tint), color phase, color depth just to name few, none of which are mentioned in any of your comparisons.I might be wrong, but please show me a test that did all these things and concluded that its not possible to get a similar color response with Sony. 

YES!

Show me a test that changed this part of the equation (a thing that Sony could and should have done) and where someone made the colors on par with Canon!

Now it's time to say something positive to prove I'm not a hater. I like Sony colors more than JVC's.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Axel said:

Show me a test that changed this part of the equation (a thing that Sony could and should have done) and where someone made the colors on par with Canon!

Axel, unfortunately I don't have a Canon which if I did I would provide the results. 

I have been asking around this forum for people to do this though, but nobody did it yet... 

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Maybe not but that's what I read here:

Again, Slog is only one part of the equation. Then there are color gammut, white balance (temp + tint), color phase, color depth just to name few, none of which are mentioned in any of your comparisons. Also we have to keep in mind that Slog2 is a more aggressive log than the clog and other Sony profiles (like cine 4 with cinema color gammut) are much closer. 

I might be wrong, but please show me a test that did all these things and concluded that its not possible to get a similar color response with Sony. 

This is the settings I used for the Slog. Played with it some more and got the skin just right.
But still to much work imo. Better to just shoot Cine.

From this thread.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?326049-A7S-PicPro-Settings

Black Level: 0
Gamma Slog: 2
Black Gamma > Range: Middle , Level: -3
Knee > Mode: Auto , Auto Set > Max Point: 95 , Sensitivity: Mid
Colore Mode: Pro
Saturation: +8
Color Phase -2
Color Depth > R+1, G-1, B+2,, C-2, M-1, Y-3
Detail > Level, -5 Adjust > Mode; Manual, V/H Balance: -2, B/W Balance Type3, Limit: 0, Crispening:0, hi_light Detail: 0

White balance > Manual > Grid setting B 1 (one to the left)

3000-3600 = Tungsten
5000 - 5600 = Daylight
6100 - 7000 = late day or shade/shaded interiors in daylight

Not the best camera operator here, but we are getting closer colorwise:

... at least for the skin. Though a little flat and undersaturated, the milk box and the sugar bag look weird (but I am not familiar with the brands). Does anybody remember Andrew Reids 'WB shift' solution for the yellowish GH2 skintones? The skin looked better, but royal blue became dark cyan and Coca Cola labels became magenta.

These things shouldn't be left to the customers. They should be top priority for Sony.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Axel said:

Not the best camera operator here, but we are getting closer colorwise:

Good enough to be a BMD Beta Tester :)

Any who, Ive been playing with that setting as a base all night and think Ive finally have a quick preset that gets me there and lets me use LUTs as base for grading. But then there is a lot of noise. Don't know if its low exposure or something else but it needs to be tackled. Otherwise I will probably let it go.

4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Good enough to be a BMD Beta Tester :)

???

Okay, he must have been in a DOGMA mode then testing the A7s.

Perhaps I suffer so hard because I know that THESE colors are in the world. My Sony buddy said, don't know what you mean. Looks the same to me

?⚡️?☔️?

10 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Any who, Ive been playing with that setting as a base all night and think Ive finally have a quick preset that gets me there and lets me use LUTs as base for grading.

Best luck, I will also suggest more tests.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ok I got curious and spent the afternoon playing with in camera profiles (yes, staying home watching a dog that has to sitt still is boring).

Any who, I haven't spent more than a few minutes grading the Slog2. But I have spent 0 seconds grading the H.265, its straight from the camera.

NX500
NX500.md.jpg

Slog2
Slog2.md.jpg 

you shouldn;t have had to do ANY grading on the log footage - just apply a contrast curve.  grading is a creative process, for colour accuracy no colour adjustment should need to be done if white balance is set correctly.  

but onto the main point..  judging by the noise on the side of the face in shadow you;re at least 2 stops under exposed on the slog2.  You only get shadow noise like that when you;re under exposed.  no clever grading will help under exposure of real log footage.

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, richg101 said:

you shouldn;t have had to do ANY grading on the log footage - just apply a contrast curve.  grading is a creative process, for colour accuracy no colour adjustment should need to be done if white balance is set correctly.  

but onto the main point..  judging by the noise on the side of the face in shadow you;re at least 2 stops under exposed on the slog2.  You only get shadow noise like that when you;re under exposed.  no clever grading will help under exposure of real log footage.

By grading I meant no creative process. Just curves. You have to excuse me for skipping the semantics.

I know its under exposed, dont care about that either at this point.

"A7r ii nothing but headaches".  Hasn't been for me.  I'm sure I am clearly in the minority here not hopping on the anti-Sony bandwagon, but having owned the a7r / a7s I find the colors of the a7r mark ii noticeably improved over the first series a7's.  Are they as pleasing as the 1dc or the 5d3 raw?  Of course not - just different.  I don't shoot Slog-2 often and leave the picture profiles completely off, and I make sure I manually set my WB first every time.  I'm loving this little camera, and in s35 mode + the Metabones speedbooster I'm getting great footage with it and my Canon glass.  I shot the 85 1.2 II handheld the other day and was amazed by how steady the shot was.

Shrug.  There is no perfect camera yet.  I think the UHD downscaled to 1080p from the a7r2 looks stunning, and I shoot people and landscapes mostly.

2 hours ago, tellure said:

Saw this posted on Sonyalpharumors.. newsshooter.com's video with the A7SII and the new 24-70 2.8 & 85 1.4 G-Master lenses.  Sorry if this is a bit off-topic since it's shot on the A7SII and not the A7RII, but I thought the color might be of interest.

Even the A7si had no issue with resolution. This has to be acknowledged, these images are pristine, and it's a matter of personal taste if one prefers a softer look. Which, by the way, can easily be done in post. Again I recommend the Tiffen Dfx collection (digital filters), that imo completely outperform any glass filters such as Hollywood Black Magic. Because you can very subtly limit their range or strength. Had this been my video (it would  be shaky :expressionless:), I had made it softer in post. But the thing is, you can soften in post, but in order to preserve the impression of high resolution at high resolution (meaning bigger images for the viewer) you must never sharpen in post. That means for an image to be soft and beautiful, you need real resolution. That's where the Sony delivers.

The colors and the DR are acceptable if you accept them as the Sony look. Videoish and aseptic, but not noticeably off. It's just that you don't think you can smell the fish or the paella, that you see the blue sky shine or that you see more but a representation of human skin. You'd call this very good video.