Alternative Photography and Filmmaking

sanveer

I have been without a camera for a while, and I am been busy with many things, none even remotely related to photography, videos or filmmaking. I do miss it a little, but, I know it can wait.

Though, I do need a camera now, I suddenly realized that form factor of most cameras is too large to stuff into a pocket, and not too portable either, unless you wanna carry a separate bag with it. And, I hate carrying around that has to be lunged around. I like tiny cameras that can be hidden in pockets. 

For the longest Apple have been the Gold Standard in Marketing, and iPhones have sold themselves as the Only phone one should possess (regardless of its video or image quality). 

I suddenly realized, that I miss having a phone that shoots Photo of the quality comparable with mid range point and shoot (not the 1" Sensor Cameras). It would be so easy to just stuff two phones into jeans' pockets and walk around (I use two phones anyway, so its not an issue). And if I wanna do filmmaking, I could just hire a camera, or get a cameraman, with his own camera, among host of other options. 

The Samsung S7 is out, and it has superb autofocus, and great low light for a smartphone. If the image quality is even 25% better than the S6, it will be Class Leading (again), and with the right apps, one can shoot pretty slick movies, on it. The S6 already has very impressive photo quality, extremely impressive flash, stellar video focus capability, with continuous subject tracking, and great 4k video. 

I wonder if anyone else here feels that Smartphone Makers should use better Sensors (Higher Res and Better Low Light meaning atleast upto 1600 or have an f1.4 lens, which could be stopped down with ND Filters, and atleast 16 MP large sensor resolution pics where each pixel isn't so easily visible) like the Panasonic CM1 (but with better video. Sony just introduced a new sensor that does duty on the Sony Rx100 iv and Rx10 ii. I wish some Smartphone would use that sensor. 

The Samsung Sensor seems extremely promising, yet 12MP seems quite inadequate.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone else who like travelling super light, and wish a Smartphone would replace a Mid-Range Point and Shoot? Maybe for $1000, but with a Huge Sensor?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use my phone for snaps. Little moments that don't have to be top notch quality. That kinda goes for any smartphone what I'm concerned. That said, I've seen people (e.g.) pulling amazing things from e.g. the Lumia PureView smartphones and we've seen not too shabby things from Samsung indeed as well. Remember when that Note 3 came out and Philip Bloom took it for a spin.

But things like the DXO One or the CM1... nah, a smartphone = smartphone. If you want to go up in quality, don't add bulk to your phone, just get yourself a nice premium compact. The RX-series is an obvious choice, Panasonic has some great things, I adore the LX100, Nikon now joined the party. I think that is the way to go... not phones. But of course, it depends on your quality standards, what kind of flexibility you need, what kind of creative control you can exert. All of those things, so if you do end up getting a smartphone for its camera features and really fall in love with it: awesome! But for me, it isn't there. Especially if you leave out the big sensor in the equation and a nice decent range of optical zoom. My 2cts.

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, waiting on an upgrade of this (1").

Hahaha, I DID say CM1, above. But the codec and processing has issues on that one. And controls have been limited. But, as a Smartphone, it is almost garbage. Unfortunately (the Samsung's have superb usability, and the screen and interface is pretty good). 

The 4k Video is limited to 15fps for some extremely curious reason. I just checked all the Pics From it, again, and they seem very impressive for a Smartphone. Thanks so much Mattias. I may pick up one or two, if I could lay my hands on them. 

• Super Members

Sorry, missed that.

Im never touching a Samsung smartphone again unless its for free. I like my LG with the Cinema 4K app but its not very practical for everyday capture. Then I prefer a Lumia or a small camera like a RX100 or even the "big" NX500. If it weren't important enough for me to bring a camera, I might as well use what ever I guess.

17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I use my phone for snaps. Little moments that don't have to be top notch quality. That kinda goes for any smartphone what I'm concerned. That said, I've seen people (e.g.) pulling amazing things from e.g. the Lumia PureView smartphones and we've seen not too shabby things from Samsung indeed as well. Remember when that Note 3 came out and Philip Bloom took it for a spin.

But things like the DXO One or the CM1... nah, a smartphone = smartphone. If you want to go up in quality, don't add bulk to your phone, just get yourself a nice premium compact. The RX-series is an obvious choice, Panasonic has some great things, I adore the LX100, Nikon now joined the party. I think that is the way to go... not phones. But of course, it depends on your quality standards, what kind of flexibility you need, what kind of creative control you can exert. All of those things, so if you do end up getting a smartphone for its camera features and really fall in love with it: awesome! But for me, it isn't there. Especially if you leave out the big sensor in the equation and a nice decent range of optical zoom. My 2cts.

I would like something that can be printed Big Enough for a Magazine Cover. Somehow 12MP photos from smaller sensors doesn't seem to cut it for me. But, the CM has pretty good photo quality (even though the 4k video quality is disappointing).

19 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sorry, missed that.

Im never touching a Samsung smartphone again unless its for free. I like my LG with the Cinema 4K app but its not very practical for everyday capture. Then I prefer a Lumia or a small camera like a RX100 or even the "big" NX500. If it weren't important enough for me to bring a camera, I might as well use what ever I guess.

I am surprised you don't like the Photo Quality on the S6? I find them pretty good by smartphone standards. Unlike iPhones, everything isn't blue or green, and over-sharpened. 

I have the ZTE Nubia Z9 ( http://en.nubia.com/product/z9/summary.html ), for all intents and purposes an amazing smartphone (Samsung/iPhone-league quality and price) and in some areas ahead of its time (an actual edge-to-edge display, not just curving and still having borders around the screen, frame interactive technology!). It does have OIS, it does have 4K as well, so I'm still getting nice quality snaps. Or video, especially with the Cinema4K app where you can boost the bitrate and such. The successor coming out this year, will probably be brought to a global audience (had to import mine from China now).

Just... there's nothing like an actual camera for shooting stills and video and it's like Mattias says as well, it's great to have awesome quality if else you didn't have any, so these smartphones with good features are nice to have... but... if you're set out to shoot stills and video, why bother with a smartphone if you can have a dedicated camera? It gives you all the controls and quality you need and then some. If a smartphone could be a smartphone and shoot stuff that's up there with premium cameras, sure... but if you take my smartphone and turn it into a fat frankenphone... then it's no longer a smartphone anymore and I don't want that, especially if I don't get the actual camera experience back, it's still a smartphone-like camera. And indeed, if stills and video is that important to you, is it really too much of a hassle to take a small premium compact with you? I don't think it is... yet you gain so much by doing so. But again, I can go out and say 'well, I'm not planning on shooting anything in particular, just another regular silly day' and yet have a great tool for some snaps with me using my smartphone and say 'well, I'm going out to explore the world and when I'm given the oppertunity I want to nail those shots!' and then just bring the LX100 along. If you're in the situation that there's a fine line and overlap, then sure, maybe a cameraphone is the thing for you. But if you can somehow find it in yourself to take a little dedicated camera with you, I'd recommend you to do so.

I own a lumix cm1 and find it offers superb performance as a camera and as a phone.  battery life smokes an Iphone.  the images are also superb.  It aint just a smart phone.  It delivers stills just as good any fixed lens premium 1" sensor camera.  and it's always with you!  compact cameras take up another back pocket alongside your phone, car keys, wallet etc.

21377397474_9e3223d17e_o.jpg  

Yeah, but that guy (that btw kinda reminds me of Rex Hunt) took his camera with him. Because you're at a friggin' shoreline when the sun is setting. That's not a situation that just pops up. You could have had a premium compact with you and still have packed lighter than the gent next to you. Yet still have the same kind of hands-on controls, some optical zoom and flexibility. In my book that's better than any phonecamera. You could get an automated smart home security system and only take a creditcard and a 100 bucks bill with you, yet you carry around keys and a filled wallet too, don't ya? But I don't like the CM1 as a smartphone. I like a smartphone as a smartphone, because it's good at being a smartphone. I like a camera because it's good at being a camera. But yeah, nothing's stopping you from getting a frankenphone of course and it does do a fair job. I don't know. To each their own of course.

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

I own a lumix cm1 and find it offers superb performance as a camera and as a phone.  battery life smokes an Iphone.  the images are also superb.  It aint just a smart phone.  It delivers stills just as good any fixed lens premium 1" sensor camera.  and it's always with you!  compact cameras take up another back pocket alongside your phone, car keys, wallet etc.

21377397474_9e3223d17e_o.jpg  

Holy smokes that beautiful light!

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, but that guy (that btw kinda reminds me of Rex Hunt) took his camera with him. Because you're at a friggin' shoreline when the sun is setting. That's not a situation that just pops up. You could have had a premium compact with you and still have packed lighter than the gent next to you. Yet still have the same kind of hands-on controls, some optical zoom and flexibility. In my book that's better than any phonecamera. You could get an automated smart home security system and only take a creditcard and a 100 bucks bill with you, yet you carry around keys and a filled wallet too, don't ya? But I don't like the CM1 as a smartphone. I like a smartphone as a smartphone, because it's good at being a smartphone. I like a camera because it's good at being a camera. But yeah, nothing's stopping you from getting a frankenphone of course and it does do a fair job. I don't know. To each their own of course.

I don;t understand what the CM1 lacks as far as being 'smart' is concerned?  it's as smart as any other smart phone.  But has a huge sensor and a leica branded lens.  it's half the thickness of the rx100.   the cm1 also has a very nice control system - the focus ring can be quickly changes to adjust shutter, aperture, iso, wb, etc etc.  It's a real camera but without as many physical buttons.  it's got a damn filter thread too!!! - I've fitted anamorphic lenses, wide angle attachments and telephoto attachments to the little bugger

The image i posted above was from the CM1.  

25 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Most brands try to make "be-all for everybody" smartphones. The Panasonic CM1 tried the exact opposite. Let's hope they bring a mkII or some other brand try to make a smartphone for visual people!!!

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/20/panasonic-cm10-is-a-phone-camera-successor-that-drops-the-phone-part/

They dropped the actual phone part but I guess you could use a bluetooth headset or so? But seems more like a cut down CM1 than a successor.

Probably because Leica said... sorry Panasonic, we're going with someone who actually means something in today's smartphone market... by the looks of it!

According to a report by German Manager-Magazin Leica is planning to offer smartphones with the Leica brand. Joint venture partner is the Chinese telco equipment supplier Huawei. The report says that the first product will have the name P 9

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-will-enter-the-smartphone-market/ / http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/136880-huawei-teams-up-with-leica-could-the-huawei-p9-be-the-first-to-benefit

Atleast first and foremost it would be a top of the line smartphone, Huawei is blasting away. Same for ZTE and Xiaomi btw. But remember that name!

Considering the that the CM1 and the FZ1000 have the same sensor, the FZ1000 shoots far better photos.

The CM1 photos are great by mobile phone standards, but not quite in the league of the FZ1000. Not sure why they don't retain as much detail or appear as sharp.