Sony FS700 slow mo goes low light with Speed Booster and the new SLR Magic T0.95 lenses

Andrew Reid

Where did you get a hold on the 25mm f/0.95? I've been looking for it the past couple of weeks but haven't been able to find it.

I don't know about that lens specifically but I know if you contact SLR magic directly they will offer to sell you one, or at least they did when I was inquiring about the 35mm t/1.4 which was out of stock at Adorama and I couldn't find one anywhere they offered me one at the rebate price with 2-3 day shipping.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have two questions regarding this article:

1) "full frame wide angle 24mm F1.0 shots at 100fps and 200fps" with what lens? Isn't the SLR 24mm MFT mount only? Or are you referring to other lens in that particular text segment?

2) "Canon 24-105mm 2.8 parfocal for $800?" How? I understand that the Speed Booster allows an extra stop, so, does that effectively translate the f/4 into f/2.8 on that specific lens? And when you say $800 you are considering the Speed Booster and an adapter, right?

• Administrators

Please read up on my Speed Booster stuff sir. Already explained it all. It gives you 1 stop extra brightness so F4 becomes F2.8 in terms of exposure, and F1.4 becomes F1.0. The wide angle 24mm is the Samyang 24mm F1.4 on the Speed Booster. The SLR Magic lenses are T0.95 and used as-is, they are not Canon mount so don't fit the Speed Booster adapter. The 24-105mm costs around $800, price varies on country. In Europe it is about 600 euros used. Good lens.

Please read up on my Speed Booster stuff sir. Already explained it all. It gives you 1 stop extra brightness so F4 becomes F2.8 in terms of exposure, and F1.4 becomes F1.0. The wide angle 24mm is the Samyang 24mm F1.4 on the Speed Booster. The SLR Magic lenses are T0.95 and used as-is, they are not Canon mount so don't fit the Speed Booster adapter. The 24-105mm costs around $800, price varies on country. In Europe it is about 600 euros used. Good lens.

Sorry, I was reading the article on a pinch; I wasn’t really paying full attention, just light reading it on my way home and those crucial details escaped me… my bad. ^_^ Thank you.

Hi Andrew.

You've mentioned in your last couple of posts about using the Speed Booster on the Sony F5/F55. How would you go about doing this as these cameras don't use the E-mount for which the Speed Booster is designed. They use the FZ mount instead, the same as the F3.

Andrew, how is the focus ring on the 24-105?  Is there enough travel between macro and infinity to achieve accurate manual focus?  I know Bloom said the 17-55 is too tight.

Not really sure why BM didn't go with that mount, actually . . . it has a slightly shorter flange focal distance as well as having a bigger opening that can take an APS-C sensor. Not that the BMCC camera needs either, but if in the future they want to make a Super 35 camera, they'll have to use a mount other than Micro Four Thirds. Of course there is Canon EF which they are using already . . . but that's an absurd mount for a mirrorless body.

Regardless, there'll be a Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster before too long, which will make the current BMCC that much more attractive and  will also (IMO) put the GH2 back in the game more than people realize. If the SpeedBooster works on Micro Four Thirds with even a few good "true" Super 35 cinema lenses (i.e. PL mount), the GH and BMCC will be capable of . . . well, some pretty amazing images. Imagine the GH2 or BMCC with some nice Zeiss SuperSpeeds or even the LOMO lenses, utilizing the correct part of the image circle for those lenses. 

A lot of that low spatial frequency noise can be removed with Neat Video but it did take me some time to build a perfect profile.

Yeah that's my preferred tool too! And it's true, though I got there in the end, it was quite hard to profile properly... I also found it didn't respond to sharpening as well as the C300, for example...

Yeah that's my preferred tool too! And it's true, though I got there in the end, it was quite hard to profile properly... I also found it didn't respond to sharpening as well as the C300, for example...

Just tested the 422 100Mbps long GOP MPEG2 codec in the Nanoflash with the FS700+SB: the noise detail is finer and cleaner vs. the 24Mbps AVCHD internal codec (as expected); motion artifacts from the codec are mostly gone as well (using higher bitrates would likely remove them completely). Neat Video does do an excellent job cleaning this FS700 footage while maintaining a lot of detail. It appears Canon does more NR in camera (which is helpful for fast turn-around tasks, however Neat Video NR is superior).

• Administrators

Hi Andrew.

You've mentioned in your last couple of posts about using the Speed Booster on the Sony F5/F55. How would you go about doing this as these cameras don't use the E-mount for which the Speed Booster is designed. They use the FZ mount instead, the same as the F3.

Speed Booster still possible on the FZ mount. Read this...

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1912-metabones-speed-booster-review/?p=25898

Wait till you BMCC guys start shooting at night. You better light your set up like a xmas tree. Talk about noise! At 3000.00 I can see why it's so popular on these type of blogs bashing cameras that cost considerably more. Make no mistake about it, for docs, run and gun, etc, in a professional enviornment the fs700 with a pix or samurai will blow the doors off the BMCC. Image wise the BMCC (under the right conditions) has a beautiful image but in a profeasinal setting I'll take the feature set of the fs700 over the BMCC any day. It's certainly a great little camera for 3000.00, but it's far from the holy grail some of you make it out to be. It does look great when used under the right conditions but so does a lot of other cameras with far less workarounds.

• 2 weeks later...

this whole piece smacks of BMCC propaganda!

THe FS700 can output uncompressed from HD-SDI in both normal speed and slow motion, why dont you mention this?..... comparing AVCHD to ProRes/RAW is not helpful.....

It also sounds like you were using picture profiles incorrectly on the Sony which is why you struggled to get good low light image....

....and you can change the shutter speed/shutter angle from 215 when shooting at 200fps, sounds like you were stuck on auto!

The fs700 is not perfect (especially build quality) but you cannot compare these things just on image quality, as the means of acquisition on all these things lend themselves to certain scenarios.... fs700 would seem to be aimed at people who are doing a wide range of projects from narrative to docs.... who have probably had sonys before, and already have an arsenal of sony friendly gear (batteries/chargers/grip etc ....  the batteries that the fs700 use are the same as the old PD170 for example...)

If you want to be taken seriously you need to balance your opinions/reviews, and perhaps learn to use the equipment properly before you review it....