The pleasures and pains of Davinci Resolve, Can you help please?

PannySVHS

Hallo dear community,

Davinci is giving me great pleasures and pain. I absolutely enjoy this beautiful freeware programme (Lite Version:)

My computer is a nice and cheap setup for HD and Davinci. I7 2600K, 16GB Ram, system SSD, 7200rpm HD, GTX 970.

A lot of times my computer all of the sudden shuts down when I´m rendering with some optical flow clips in the timeline.

Also shut down appears when I´m messing with 200mbs clips in HD. The same with 4K footage from XC10.

Temperature of the Geforce never hits 60 degree Celsius. Help, advice or moral support:) is very much appreciated!

This is driving me nuts. No problems with my cheap piece of editing software Videopad I paid 80 euro for.

cheers and thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You get into a LOT of variables in a situation like this.

Everything from Motherboard compatibility issues to bugs in the Software App itself.

At a glance your system seems decent enough - one of mine is nearly identical to yours - but again, from driver incompatibilities to version conflicts and on and on and on......
The usual Editing Computer madness....

First question: Which exact version of Resolve are you running? 
(FWIW - V.12.1 has been reported to be the most stable even though 12.3 has other aspects more straightened out...)

Also: Exactly what file formats are you using in Resolve? And exactly how are your creating the Transcodes? Are you even using Transcodes?

OK...it SHUTS DOWN.
That's beyond software. 
That's something in your Operating System being triggered to do that intentionally (like as a safety precaution - overheating of the processor etc..) or something is causing a massive root-level error.
It's one thing to crash a program, but it's something entirely different to kill the whole system itself.

My suspicion is the enormous demands placed on the processors by Optical Flow and everything else running at that same time is overwhelming some physical tolerance within your core.

I'm not a super PC tech guy, I've just been through almost every typical problem myself already because I never have $5,000 to get some monster computer.
My first suggestion would be to super-uber-totally back up your Resolve Database, then uninstall Resolve 11 and install Resolve 12.1 or 12.3. Again - word around the farm is that 12.1 has been the most stable.
I don't think there's any reason to stay with 11. 
12 is really a great advance, and you'll figure out where they moved things to in just a matter of minutes.

Hallo Stewart,

thank you for your reply and valuable input- makes sense, should be a problem with the Operating System.

So how can I "super-uber-totally":) back up my Resolve database? I´ve read, once Resolve 12 is installed

all the projects and color presets from version 11 are gone! So that would be still a reason for me to hestiate quiet a bit.

If OP is the problem, it seems like a rough case though:)

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

System shutdown under high CPU/GPU load means, almost with certainty, a hardware problem. Most likely, your power supply is too weak, or the cooling of your PC is insufficient.

Hey!

Thanks for your help and advice! Never had a problem with native H264 editing, but in Davinci with Prores and h264 as well.

That was either with optical flow activated or too high of a bit rate with Prores HQ f.i, also with many nodes.

So it might rather be a power supply related issues much rather than heat issues from GPU or CPU.

I´m guessing so, because it doesnt take much time until shut down. Power charge would be a quicker parameter too rise through the roof,

much faster than temperature.

And finally I checked my power supply. Never did, as I was assuming it was 650W!:)  But it´s a 420W, it´s a LC Power LC420H!

So 650W would be fine for HD and Davinci? Any monitoring software showing my the complete power consumption of the system,

GPU plus CPU? Thanks guys for being so helpful!

1 hour ago, sam said:

Overclocked?  My old i72600 would also shutdown on  renders until I returned to a stock clock speed.

Hey Sam, didn´t overclock. And, thanks to your advice, I won´t in the future!:)

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Get a 750w to be safe and future proof your rig. For your setup 420W is way WAY to low. The GTX 970 can draw 300w under load by itself, not including the power needed for the CPU and drives!

Thank you for your comment and help! Yeah, have been thinking it was a 650W.:) Do you have a recommendation for a power supply? HD h264 and 200mbit Prores proof.

Also for a reliable monitoring software?

@cantsin Thank you for putting things into the right perspective. Thank you very much! Gonna get another power supply!