EOS 80D - HDR Video?

Jimmy

• Super Members

I shot this on the t3i back in the day. To this day its still my mostly viewed video.
But to be fare it had 110 000 views in one day and 250 000 views in one weekend, so its not really comparable to the 200k ish videos I have today.

Any who, looking at it I would say its good enough of a camera for the beginner.
(and also, IKEA now makes them ;) )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
14 hours ago, drawer77 said:

i  thought that Andrew Reid would have welcome the Canon 80D with its PZ-E1 power zoom adapter. isn't that accessory supposed to work like a follow focus ?

Someone please tell my why a power zoom would adjust focus :)

It doesn't have a focus rocker on it, only a power zoom rocker... Something that should be on the lens for free anyway, like with all the other power zoom lenses from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.

Canon saw yet another money spinning opportunity to charge us for a zoom rocker. Pathetic.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It doesn't have a focus rocker on it, only a power zoom rocker... Something that should be on the lens for free anyway, like with all the other power zoom lenses from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.

Canon saw yet another money spinning opportunity to charge us for a zoom rocker. Pathetic.

Well it do not do focus, that adapter , AFAIK from what Canon inform .. and it only Zoom and .. well .. why not on the lens 

@.@

Very simple, because Canon actually do not build the POWER part into the lens .. its not a powered zoom lens, that zoom is squarely old type , the adapter idea is like old days AF adapter in the 70's. Actually consider this, the 80D got Digit 6 processor when G7X-II, announced the same day got Digit 7 , this tell us that the camera sits in development longer than it should be .. I wager Canon probably just do not have any to show before 5D-IV ( when they actually get to that ). The 80D is more just a stop gap ( or get pushed off as Canon need something to show )  that keep Canon kind of in the loop. The problem with any real improvement if and when bring upon in 5D-IV , of course , is that it will instantly relegate all current Canon DSLR ( bar the 1DX-II ) down to being last generation status ( though they are not that far back even now ). They will have then to launch 7D-III, 90D, and even new replacement to their Rebel.

the 80D perhaps the one of the  ( if not the ) most forgettable upgrade we've seen in recent years 

• Administrators

I think the most forgettable upgrades have been to the Rebel series actually... they make the 80D look like a quantum leap!

600D through 650D, 700D, was embarrassing.

It looked like the only feature they added was lower manufacturing cost and at one point a grip material that turned white.

Yet the sheep kept buying I assume.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

PZ adapter has an upside - it should be considerably faster than the inegrated versions. But then again, that is due to four AA batteries - another set of batteries to charge. Anyway, with two 18-135mm lenses, one could've been a PZ version.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The PZ-E1 adapter gives much more than the standard two-button powered electronic zoom on some lenses. This gives a broadcast/eng type power zoom with an actual rocker than responds to press sensitivity in up to 10 different speeds, this is consumer incarnation of a ''real'' eng zoom rocker. The C100/300/300II broadcast users are VERY excited about this for their work as getting a S35 standard wide-to-tele with a real zoom rocker and IS and AF is huge to them (and the C100ii/c300ii can compensate with the variable iris of the lens in real time using gain effectively working as a constant aperture, or it can just be used at f/5.6). 

Just because a product doesn't fit your needs it doesn't mean it's bad. I wish everybody would learn that. 

And more lenses from now on zooms are all coming with the PZ connector, including high end constant aperture L glass and low-end zoom lenses.

"Canon is throwing at the future with this product, as a cheap alternative to ENG/Broadcast lensing options for the EOS Cinema cameras, C100, C100II, C300, C300II, C500, and for regular consumers who just prefer zooming with a switch smoothly rather than a ring in the future''

I don't see anything bad about the PZ-E1 adapter. It's great. Price is damn low. It's just the 80D bad video spec sheet attached to it gave it a bad taste of it all. It's quite sad that among a new 2016 Camera + Lens announcement the PZ adapter is the most intriguing. 

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

And more lenses from now on zooms are all coming with the PZ connector, including high end constant aperture L glass and low-end zoom lenses.

Constant aperture is one thing, but they would also have to develop a zoom mechanism that doesn't flicker from all the shifting during zooming seen in most photography lenses with zoom.  

The masses will need buying Canon Rebels and 70D-80Ds because

the are reliable and ubiquitous. If used correctly, they can produce good images.

And, most importantly, they don't requiere excessive fiddling to capture what is needed

because their ergonomics are the best in the business.

Nice editorial piece. I too believe Canon is overcharging their most loyal customers.

Hope the guys over at DPreview give it a good read (DPreview is owned by Amazon).

On 2/21/2016 at 5:38 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

The PZ-E1 adapter gives much more than the standard two-button powered electronic zoom on some lenses. This gives a broadcast/eng type power zoom with an actual rocker than responds to press sensitivity in up to 10 different speeds, this is consumer incarnation of a ''real'' eng zoom rocker.

Sony's rocker is also pressure sensitive. I wish Sony would implement more customizable control over PZ via the camera interface, since pressure sensitivity and fixed speed both have their uses.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
9 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Sony's rocker is also pressure sensitive. I wish Sony would implement more customizable control over PZ via the camera interface, since pressure sensitivity and fixed speed both have their uses.

Glad to know it's improving. When I tried the RX10 rocker it was just horrible,

On 2/18/2016 at 8:40 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Well the Dual Pixel AF isn't just useful for youtube, it's a great tech.

Problem is the entire rest of the camera.

Nikon will give you better for $500!

Andrew, is there a camera you would you recommend for vlogging? Ideally it would have a fully articulating screen, great autofocus, external mic input, and 4K. Here is what I have tried:

GH4: Good articulating screen but terrible autofocus and too much crop for my preferred wide angle look. 

NX1: Better autofocus, except in low light; no articulating screen; compression gets blocky at times

70D: Great autofocus, articulating screen; subpar image quality and no 4k

Currently I'm considering the Sony A6300 and the Canon 80D. The question is whether the articulating screen or image quality is more important. But if you know a system that has both, please enlighten me. 

Really dig your site, by the way!

• 1 month later...
On 2016-02-22 at 8:15 PM, jacoblewis said:

It looks like Sigma released the Foven X3 out into the wild... it's too bad us filmmakers can't utilize it.

Why release a digital camera in 2016 that doesn't shoot stills + video? Such a weird choice, and such a shame if this sensor lives up to its hype.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/specifications/

They said in an interview that the sensor produces to much heat for video.