hFOV Calculator.

Tito Ferradans

Time to address the second most common question asked when it comes to anamorphics: "How wide can I go with this anamorphic?".
Your problems are over! Here I introduce my hFOV calculator!

Test it, break it, enjoy. Let me know.

http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8615

You can input all your settings (camera/crop factor, taking lens, focal reducers, anamorphic stretch and sensor aspect ratio) to check if you'll get vignetting, the equivalent focal length of your horizontal field of view and your final aspect ratio. You can also discover which taking lenses will give you a specific horizontal field of view and what crop should you set on your camera to achieve a specific final aspect ratio.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

Time to address the second most common question asked when it comes to anamorphics: "How wide can I go with this anamorphic?".
Your problems are over! Here I introduce my hFOV calculator!

Test it, break it, enjoy. Let me know.

http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8615

You can input all your settings (camera/crop factor, taking lens, focal reducers, anamorphic stretch and sensor aspect ratio) to check if you'll get vignetting, the equivalent focal length of your horizontal field of view and your final aspect ratio. You can also discover which taking lenses will give you a specific horizontal field of view and what crop should you set on your camera to achieve a specific final aspect ratio.

Thanks for doing this Tito! This is next level! Cheers!

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

Thanks for this usefull tool :) 

I just have a (stupid) question, are the schneider cinelux and isco ultra-star considered long scope or short scope ?

IMO, they are in between.  100mm taking lens in FF is safe.  Using 85mm with close focus and wide open aperture is ok.  Since Schneider has larger glass size, reducing vignette has a little bid advantage.   

I know for sure that 58mm (Helios 44-2) on APS-C with the Isco Ultra-Star is good both in 16/9 (that I do not use) and in 1.2:1 (that I use)

I am looking for a 35mm to test, but my M42 35mm lens doesn't have a front filter thread :s

Using a 28mm though, I can see the corners even in 1.2:1 (which is expected of course) 

I just tested it quickly with my 35mm lens and it show tiny dark corners (in 1.2:1 crop). So it must be considered a short scope in tito's hfov calculator.

I'll try and buy a 40mm (I only know the 40/4.5 Zeiss Jena Tessar as an affordable option) to try.
Any advices on finding a cheap 40mm that is adaptable on canon EF Mount ?

EDIT : there seems to be a Pentax K mount 40mm f/2.8 pancake. I'll try to find reviews on it, but I'm afraid it wont flare :s

1 hour ago, Justin Bacle said:

I just tested it quickly with my 35mm lens and it show tiny dark corners (in 1.2:1 crop). So it must be considered a short scope in tito's hfov calculator.

I'll try and buy a 40mm (I only know the 40/4.5 Zeiss Jena Tessar as an affordable option) to try.
Any advices on finding a cheap 40mm that is adaptable on canon EF Mount ?

EDIT : there seems to be a Pentax K mount 40mm f/2.8 pancake. I'll try to find reviews on it, but I'm afraid it wont flare :s

There`s Canon's EF 40mm pancake, which is one of my favorite combinations with almost any anamorphic so far. :)

On Monday, September 05, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Justin Bacle said:

Thanks for this usefull tool :)

I just have a (stupid) question, are the schneider cinelux and isco ultra-star considered long scope or short scope ?

3 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

There`s Canon's EF 40mm pancake, which is one of my favorite combinations with almost any anamorphic so far. :)

Believe or not, schneider cinelux + isco ultra-star + EF 40mm = kind of unique combination :grin:

19 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

I had one 40mm STM a few years ago. I didn't like it that much. I thought this lens has no soul whatsoever, so I sold it (and then I switched to Fuji).
I dont feel that attaching a big chunk of brass (ultra star) on its tiny front filter is a very good idea :D (even with a lens support)

I found a pentax SMC-M 40-80 f/2.8-4 on ebay for €30, it's cheap and will allow me to check is 40mm is vignette free indeed :) I'll keep you updated

16 hours ago, ken said:

Believe or not, schneider cinelux + isco ultra-star + EF 40mm = kind of unique combination :grin:

Yeah, I read this thread, the result is very impressive and compact ! Well done !