Am I the only one finding it hard to ignore the JVC LS300?

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yea Mattias. I really loved having a camcorder when I started. It was so easy to use and so many features. Look at what we have to go through to make work audio, connectors, viewfinders, rigging, and my favorite, parfocal. Many of these unavailable or poorly realized until you get up to major bucks. All of it to get a superior image to cheaper camcorders.

I would love an under 5k camcorder that was ready to go out of the box and had a great image. Good to see if the jvc has it. Whatever the features it has to have a great image.

• 1 year later...

Would love to see a shortfilm done with this camera, which is crafted and created with the same love and energy as the best GH1, GH2 and 5DII films  were done. Not many impressive shortfilm efforts on the web, which were done with a Lumix G7 or A6300/6500 and the likes. Have seen one nice LS300 piece in a basement, dark sewers kind of enviroment shot in JLog, which looked fine. That´s it. Are there more around? Would have been cool to have EVA1 codec specs in a follow up for 4000 USD.

Like the buch of newer DSLMs the LS300 is another very capable camera without shortfilms on the web, besides its launch effort. Well, found this instead. It has the guts of what I consider inspiring filmmaking, rough around the edges but using the medium, even if not perfectly but with effective and well executed filmmaking tools. I think lotta talent shown in this quirky effort, despite its imperfections being visible.

6 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Unrelated to this thread, but the LS300 mount is where Panasonic completely missed the boat with the EVA1.

Yup.  I think the main reason the LS300 didn't take off was simply due to JVC not being taken seriously in this space. Their pro rep is solidly in broadcast, and even their consumer camcorders were never anything special. So people looking for an affordable large-sensor camera from above or below just don't have JVC as a contender in their minds.

Panasonic doing the APS-C sensor + m4/3 mount would have turned a lot of heads. Especially if they had included a nice solid m43-EF adapter that had the option of bolting to the camera body, for those who would just want to run the camera as strictly an EF mount.

Maybe in a year or two they'll figure this out, and a new camera can slot into the wide space between the GH5 and the EVA.