stacking footage?

jagnje

So... :)

The other day I was at a sound tech, where he was mixing one of our songs. He stacked my guitar track one on top of the other, and made a minor offset on one, to get a deeper richer sound. 

It got me thinking...would something like that be usable/benefitial on video as well? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, jagnje said:

So... :)

The other day I was at a sound tech, where he was mixing one of our songs. He stacked my guitar track one on top of the other, and made a minor offset on one, to get a deeper richer sound. 

It got me thinking...would something like that be usable/benefitial on video as well? 

In my humble opinion doing that it is not the best way to get a deeper sound: most of the time you have phase cancellations that give you less bass frequencies when you listen it in mono.
If adding another track - in order to have a real "double" - it is impossible, I would prefer to reamp it or to eq in some ways.

I`m no expert either :) most of the tracks I did double with a different amp, but this was a solo...I never play them the same twice :D

Anyway, back to image. We know, that some movies with the most breathtaking images also used some very mediocre cameras, but the final product looks amazing. I can`t be just a good colorist, there has to be more to it.

lets look at this...it is not just a sharpen filter :)

layering.. grain on footage can help an image - recently I accidentally messed with the exposure of the grain and got a contrast, saturation effect I don't know if I could replicate too easily with just those other controls.. so that might sort of be a thing

the Aaton Penelope Delta camera had a trick where it shifted the sensor one pixel diagonally every frame, so the final image would appear higher resolution. not sure it really did that effectively. don't know if that's something that can be done in post. that's also more to do with the "offset" in the topic than the "overlay"

thats exactly what I had in mind. offseting two layers of the same image. In theory it should double the pixels, but not in a "shapnen" effect, just add pixels to the image. I was playing around in davinci the other day, stacking two of the same tracks at 50% opacity and offset by a pixel. Didn`t export it or do comparisons. I don`t know... I see guys in post that make a shitty image look great and "meaty" but it`s probaly a long proces and something one would really share.