Canon 5dm3, thoughts

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, Hitfabryk said:

I can buy a Canon 5D m3 extra battery, 2x 8gb cards, 2x 16gb cards and a Kinotehnik LCDVF viewfinder for 1500euro, want to use next to an GH4 and a A7s and also for pictures..

How do you think about that? I have to decide tonight...Thanks for any input.

amazing allaround camera for stills for lacking for video, very soft image, dr on the low side, no peaking or zebras and no evf. The colour science is beautiful but will probably not match to easily with the panasonic and especially with the sony.

just my 2 cents though.

I have put 90,000 shots on my 5D3 plus many hours of documentary video. It is a great camera. I also have an A7RII and my group uses the GH4 and AG-DVX200 and we intercut all those. 

I formerly used the Zacuto Z-Finder on the 5D3 and that was OK, but the Zacuto EVF Pro really transformed it. That's because it has built-in focus and peaking aids, plus on a hot-shoe mount the big eye cup provides a 3rd contact point which helps stabilize the camera. The downside is you must deal with a fragile HDMI cable, and if supported by a brace that adds complexity.

The Canon L lenses are great and I've hand held many interviews with the 70-200 F/2.8 IS II on the 5D3. 

Of course there is no continuous AF in video mode which is why the EVF Pro helps so much. Magic Lantern is available for the 5D3 which has lots of video capability like peaking, zebras, etc: http://www.magiclantern.fm/ However I haven't used that since we are now transitioned to the 4k cameras. But with a good lens the 1080p from the 5D3 is excellent quality, and it has great low-light ability. When rolling video, the rear control dial becomes touch sensitive so you can adjust volume and other shooting parameters while shooting.

The 1080p output of the 5D3 is slightly soft but it's very good on aliasing and moire. You can recover the sharpness in post, whereas aliasing and moire are harder to fix in post.

I recommend you verify the shutter actuation count before buying it. Unfortunately ExifInfo and other tools won't provide this from a file but the camera must be connected via USB to a computer and run a utility like EOSInfo: http://www.khalids.com/downloads/SOFTWARE/Canon/

I have tested both IPB and All-I codecs, and I don't see much difference so I usually used IPB which makes smaller files. 

For H264 video the card speed doesn't matter much but for bursts of raw stills the CF card interface is much faster than SD. I usually use only CF and the SD is for contingency only. Shooting to both cards simultaneously will slow it down to the speed of the slowest card (SD) so I only use CF most of the time, generally Lexar 1000x.

Thanks guys, very useful..it got 26.230 clicks and there is also a SD card with ML on it..The seller says if I put the card in the slot it will booth up with ML and when I don't it it will booth up 'normally'.

The doubt has also to do with the fact, what else can I get for around 1500/1600 euro's what makes very good pic's and will be a nice match for my GH4 and A7S ( I also got 2 GM1 and some nice m43 lenses and two nice old FD lenses, the 35mm 2.0 and the (FL) 55mm1.2. I got 1 sony 28-70mm FE lens.)

decisions decisions...  

29 minutes ago, sandro said:

nx1? pics are not like full frame of course...

Hello Sandro,

The NX1 is not my thing although I think it can be a great tool. I had one for a week, of course struggled with the codec..but I think that's solved now. And now they're

closing the camera line..mmm No thanks but thanks for the suggestion. 

32 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The A6300 though... ;)

I thought about that..how about picture quality can it keep up (except FF) with the canon? What are you're thoughts..I think it will be useful in my film setup, for sure.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

ML changes everything.

Unless you need 4K and HFR, you will struggle to get a more pleasing 1080p image than the 5DIII with raw

Thanks Jimmy, 4 K and HFR is nice and maybe the raw workflow is to much, but it's nice to hear about the 1080p pleasing image, and is the Raw workflow a struggle. (macbook pro 2015)..I

Actually I like to buy a A7Rii but it's a lot of money to spent.

How are you guys think about the A7R?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Hitfabryk said:

[..]

I thought about that..how about picture quality can it keep up (except FF) with the canon? What are you're thoughts..I think it will be useful in my film setup, for sure.

That's the million dollar question of course. But think about it. You already have the GH4 and A7S with a great amount of adaptability and lenses. Canon would be an oddball in your collection.

The GH4 does great 4K, the A7S is a lowlight stud. Briefly touching stills for a sec; if you're anything like me, the Micro Four Thirds system just doesn't really cut it, although Olympus does a decent job. The A7S kinda misses that resolution. Having said that, in terms of video the GH4 for the money obviously does great 4K in enough light, but excells especially when used with focal reducers and adapted glass (and external recording)... so that might hint you that APS-C and FF aesthetics are a bit more like it. Admittedly the Nikon D5300/D5500 does capture some nice things from that APS-C sensor... it's just not mirrorless, video-friendly and 4K...

The A7S doesn't do internal 4K and the color on it is regarded to be a little iffy to work with at times. Here comes the A6300 with the new Sony sensor tech. I think it could actually be inspired by what Samsung was doing there... the chip and readout infrastructure seems greatly improved. One thing the new sensor has going for it is that every sensory cell actually takes in a bit more light now, that improves sensitivity and color accuracy. Going from aluminium to copper has upped the signal quality, so overall I'm expecting an up in quality including better noise control. You get a whole lot of features seen in the other line-ups, the RX10M2 and RX100M4 started that with internal XAVC S 4K and HFR, just for the A7RII and A7SII to hit it out of the park. Yeah, they didn't include in-body stabilization, but still... nicely done 4K and the S-Log 2 and 3 profiles! Gotta await reviews covering the final production version of it... but the A7RII APS-C/S35 crop mode is actually fairly impressive when it comes to lowlight/noise performance and rendering of details. If that translates to the A6300 as well that sounds like a winner. And remember, you can still get yourself a nice E-mount focal reducer and slap on some fullframe glass in order to get close to that FF-like magic. I'm curious to see whether this will have black sun spots and handles intense bright colors as poorly as previous Sony cameras. But just look at this:

If they can get that from the A7RII in S35, one of the reasons it took them so long to bring out the A6000's successor at all might just be waiting for the tech and implementation to reach a high. It takes internal 4K from the GH4, mixes it with Samsung NX1/Nikon D5500 APS-C S35 feel, upping the quality by quite a bit, to have something nice 'n allround to shoot both stills and video with. A7-style shooting, but keeping out the fullframe tech (but the speedboosting option open!).

Again. It's still waiting for the make it or break it reviews... but I already went and bought an E-mount conversion kit for the Veydras last year in the hopes of Sony doing something like this. Because I don't per se need fullframe. I don't care much for expensive bodies and most preferably like to keep lens size down, making thins a bit more manageable. APS-C seems to be my personal sweetspot, as I've grown to love the stills capability of the D5300 and the overall APS-C look and performance. Just misses the mirrorless features. Could the A6300 be the answer? I'd like to think so... especially when it's rumored Panasonic isn't going to do anything radical any day soon and Samsung has thrown in the towel... and Olympus and Fujifilm of course striving to be known for their stills capability which takes the spotlight, with video features suppressed in the shadow wastelands. Canon? Not if it's DSLR, not for me and the EOS-M doesn't cut it. Nikon? I'd like to see them do a crossover between a D5500/D750 and Samsung NX1, sure... but Canon & Nikon haven't been overly eager putting aside their traditional concept of what a camera should be like and exploring new grounds.

29 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That's the million dollar question of course. But think about it. You already have the GH4 and A7S with a great amount of adaptability and lenses. Canon would be an oddball in your collection.

The GH4 does great 4K, the A7S is a lowlight stud. Briefly touching stills for a sec; if you're anything like me, the Micro Four Thirds system just doesn't really cut it, although Olympus does a decent job. The A7S kinda misses that resolution. Having said that, in terms of video the GH4 for the money obviously does great 4K in enough light, but excells especially when used with focal reducers and adapted glass (and external recording)... so that might hint you that APS-C and FF aesthetics are a bit more like it. Admittedly the Nikon D5300/D5500 does capture some nice things from that APS-C sensor... it's just not mirrorless, video-friendly and 4K...

The A7S doesn't do internal 4K and the color on it is regarded to be a little iffy to work with at times. Here comes the A6300 with the new Sony sensor tech. I think it could actually be inspired by what Samsung was doing there... the chip and readout infrastructure seems greatly improved. One thing the new sensor has going for it is that every sensory cell actually takes in a bit more light now, that improves sensitivity and color accuracy. Going from aluminium to copper has upped the signal quality, so overall I'm expecting an up in quality including better noise control. You get a whole lot of features seen in the other line-ups, the RX10M2 and RX100M4 started that with internal XAVC S 4K and HFR, just for the A7RII and A7SII to hit it out of the park. Yeah, they didn't include in-body stabilization, but still... nicely done 4K and the S-Log 2 and 3 profiles! Gotta await reviews covering the final production version of it... but the A7RII APS-C/S35 crop mode is actually fairly impressive when it comes to lowlight/noise performance and rendering of details. If that translates to the A6300 as well that sounds like a winner. And remember, you can still get yourself a nice E-mount focal reducer and slap on some fullframe glass in order to get close to that FF-like magic. I'm curious to see whether this will have black sun spots and handles intense bright colors as poorly as previous Sony cameras. But just look at this:

If they can get that from the A7RII in S35, one of the reasons it took them so long to bring out the A6000's successor at all might just be waiting for the tech and implementation to reach a high. It takes internal 4K from the GH4, mixes it with Samsung NX1/Nikon D5500 APS-C S35 feel, upping the quality by quite a bit, to have something nice 'n allround to shoot both stills and video with. A7-style shooting, but keeping out the fullframe tech (but the speedboosting option open!).

Again. It's still waiting for the make it or break it reviews... but I already went and bought an E-mount conversion kit for the Veydras last year in the hopes of Sony doing something like this. Because I don't per se need fullframe. I don't care much for expensive bodies and most preferably like to keep lens size down, making thins a bit more manageable. APS-C seems to be my personal sweetspot, as I've grown to love the stills capability of the D5300 and the overall APS-C look and performance. Just misses the mirrorless features. Could the A6300 be the answer? I'd like to think so... especially when it's rumored Panasonic isn't going to do anything radical any day soon and Samsung has thrown in the towel... and Olympus and Fujifilm of course striving to be known for their stills capability which takes the spotlight, with video features suppressed in the shadow wastelands. Canon? Not if it's DSLR, not for me and the EOS-M doesn't cut it. Nikon? I'd like to see them do a crossover between a D5500/D750 and Samsung NX1, sure... but Canon & Nikon haven't been overly eager putting aside their traditional concept of what a camera should be like and exploring new grounds.

Thanks (dank je) Cinegain, you 'shoot' me in the right direction, let's see what the 6300 can bring to (my) table. It will be here in a few weeks I think? If I don't like it,  I can always go back to canon, can't I? (*-*)

Yup. Seems like March it is! I will wait for final production unit reviews from e.g. The Camera Store TV before I go and get one (dat wordt duimen). Don't want to play guinea pig. And I'm in no rush either.

Sure there's something to say for the 5DmkIII. Still nice for stills, and equipped with Magic Lantern up for a challenge! A whole other approach to shooting, but it can be worth it just for having the easy going Canon colors alone. It's been used as professional fullframe camera for the longest time now. Just that newer things came out, doesn't mean it isn't still a serious level camera. Be that as it may... it's 2016, about 4 years of technological advancements have taken place since the 5DmkIII came to be and mirrorless features and benefits can no longer be ignored. They can make your life and your work a whole lot more interesting over the next years. But we all have our own paths to follow, so anything goes, really.

Hey !!!!!

A little commercial made with a 5DIII RAW with magic lantern : 

I've got an A7SII now... and i use more this last one... Merely the same results as the 5DIII but files with the A7SII are really REALLY less big !!!! And there are other prox with the A7S : High frame rate, high sensitivity... But, there is always a but : colors are not as easy as the 5DIII when you don't have a color meter...

BTW : today my 5DIII is here to take pictures, and my A7SII is here for video.

18 hours ago, Hitfabryk said:

Thanks guys, very useful..it got 26.230 clicks and there is also a SD card with ML on it..The seller says if I put the card in the slot it will booth up with ML and when I don't it it will booth up 'normally'.

The doubt has also to do with the fact, what else can I get for around 1500/1600 euro's what makes very good pic's and will be a nice match for my GH4 and A7S ( I also got 2 GM1 and some nice m43 lenses and two nice old FD lenses, the 35mm 2.0 and the (FL) 55mm1.2. I got 1 sony 28-70mm FE lens.)

decisions decisions...  

How about a different direction, Speedboosters and an external recorder like the Ninja Assassin to get 4k out of the A7s?

5 hours ago, The Chris said:

How about a different direction, Speedboosters and an external recorder like the Ninja Assassin to get 4k out of the A7s?

I thought about that, and its still a good idea..but than I still would like to have a cam for pictures (A7R?)

Thanks The Chris, Nicolas and IronFilm..really helpful.