how do you calibrate your screens?

jase

1 hour ago, jase said:

I just toyed arround with the kelvin settings of my display. Weird enough, when i set it to 7000k it matches my macbook at 6500k quite well, also my iphone looks now much more similar.

See the attached screencap that looks "good" (subjective) on my screen - how is it on yours? Again, I am aware that this is all very subjective, but are the colors off in your perception?

mosel_felix.jpg

Looks fine. :) There seems to be some added yellow and greens to flatten the image a bit and open it up a little, which kinda looks nice, kinda of like a filmic wash. But I don't know how that scene looked in real life and how the weather was that day... and then there's the matter of taste and intent... how you want it to look and what you are trying to convey. If it's part of a look for example, you could actually emphasize the coldness a bit more. With some quick adjustments that would be something like this with a bit more pinkish skin and bluer blues:

Q4rqyig.jpg

To get to the topic title... haven't seen anyone mention 'em, but personally I have the Colordata Spyder5 Elite. Just because I got a good deal on it during one of these Amazon sales weeks. Not sure if it's a poor choice compared to others. My new MSI Prestige PE60 laptop comes with a pre-calibrated and accurate panel with 'True Color' profiles which isn't bad, although I haven't made the switch from my ASUS just yet, because I still need to organize migrating to the newer system, which is always a bit of a pain managing backups and wanting to start fresh setting everything up from scratch.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have a look at DisplayCAL, formerly known as dispcalGUI. It's Open Source monitor calibration software, extremely sophisticated, extremely thorough in its measuring, works with most color meters on the market (including devices that no longer have vendor driver support such as the Spyder3), runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux and provides the basis for a fully color-calibrated workflow for operating system and applications. It even supports calibration of external monitors connected to Decklink cards via Resolve. It's vastly superior to the software that comes bundled with color meters on the market.

8 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Have a look at DisplayCAL, formerly known as dispcalGUI. It's Open Source monitor calibration software, extremely sophisticated, extremely thorough in its measuring, works with most color meters on the market (including devices that no longer have vendor driver support such as the Spyder3), runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux and provides the basis for a fully color-calibrated workflow for operating system and applications. It even supports calibration of external monitors connected to Decklink cards via Resolve. It's vastly superior to the software that comes bundled with color meters on the market.

I've bought the cheapest datacolor Spyder5 on the Amazon BlackFriday sales and use it with dispcalGUI because it's more powerful than the lowest tier datacolor option's software. I'm really happy with it.

Typically when I edit pictures or grade movies I give it cross checks over the computer, my plasma TV and the iPad. If it's in the ballpark on all three, it's good to go.

AFAIK, the different packages of the Spyder (with their vastly different retail prices) only differ in the bundled software, not in the color meter hardware. You can buy the cheapest package, and it will be as good as the "pro" versions if you use DisplayCAL. Or even buy an old Spyder3 off Ebay for $50 or less.

17 hours ago, kaylee said:

oh absolutely. im just saying that a lot of us (me) would love to have an obsessive level of control over *exactly* what people are seeing online – like what is possible in a theatrical environment – and thats not going to happen any time soon if ever.

I'm sorry to tell you that even in the "theatrical environment" there is a lot of variables, first one, the brightness!!! ;-))

59 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

I'm sorry to tell you that even in the "theatrical environment" there is a lot of variables, first one, the brightness!!! ;-))

im aware of the many variables involved! the operative word in my statement was "possible" ?

15 hours ago, cantsin said:

Or even buy an old Spyder3 off Ebay for $50 or less.

Allegedly there are elements within those old colorimeters that age (don't know about the new ones). I had the Spyder3Pro, but lately I got better results by using the system's monitor calibration - and this means something, since I consider myself not very good at judging colors.

So I guess you should better buy a new colorimeter. As long as it's supported by DisplayCAL, it doesn't need to be an expensive one.