What will HDR TVs mean for us?

Mat Mayer

Now that UHD TVs are becoming the norm, it is time for the manufacturers to bring out the next reason to upgrade. This seems to be HDR. What will this mean to us? With photos you merge say 3 together to get the best range. Does that mean we will need to film on cameras with multiple sensors, and/or does it mean that having the biggest dynamic range will become more important, and/or will we see cameras with some kind of multiple exposing settings e.g. expose for sky and shadows differently in same video like in this Red site article?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Modern sensors are HDR, they just have to change the codecs/processing.

HDR spec for Dolby Vision acquisition is 15 stops. Not sure how true this is as I'm not an engineer, although I've seen F65 footage successfully presented in Dolby Vision and it isn't an HDR spec sensor.

According to the HDR TV specs, it need to be able to play 10bits files, but the panel doesn't have to be 10bit, the importance is that it can be very bright and very dark at the same time. The color space is something lige rec-709 but a little bit wider, so no 15 stops in 10bit.

39 minutes ago, araucaria said:

According to the HDR TV specs, it need to be able to play 10bits files, but the panel doesn't have to be 10bit, the importance is that it can be very bright and very dark at the same time. The color space is something lige rec-709 but a little bit wider, so no 15 stops in 10bit.

My bad. Weird because I was getting my information from the largest finishing/grading/master distribution company in the world in terms of what Dolby was designating as HDR-spec for cameras, but they heard it second hand. (They're not Dolby, although they have a close connection with them.)

Fair enough! My bad. I didn't understand the specifics at the time, to be fair. They also said rec2020 for acquisition spec, which is much larger than rec709, so it sounds like they were wrong about that, too. Maybe they were trying to simplify the information for me.

Just now, Policar said:

My bad. Weird because I was getting my information from the largest finishing/grading/master distribution company in the world in terms of what Dolby was designating as HDR-spec for cameras, but they heard it second hand. (They're not Dolby.)

Fair enough! My bad. I didn't understand the specifics at the time, to be fair. They also said rec2020, which is much larger than rec709, so it sounds like they were wrong.

I'm just paraphrasing what I read some time ago on some CES article, I might be wrong ;)