which cheap lenses to declick?

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

thanks. may you suggest also some wide lens please? I need them around 10mm/18mm/ (maybe ok also 20mm/ 24mm) to shoot magic lantern raw video (I use only the center of the sensor so the crop factror may be huge).

I'm searching for a compromise "cheap/quality" (also to declick), I'm out of budget unfortunately.

thx again!

49 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thanks. may you suggest also some wide lens please? I need them around 10mm/18mm/ (maybe ok also 20mm/ 24mm) to shoot magic lantern raw video (I use only the center of the sensor so the crop factror may be huge).

I'm searching for a compromise "cheap/quality" (also to declick), I'm out of budget unfortunately.

thx again!

nikkor 20mm f4 and 24mm f2.8 are easy to declick and very sharp, you may also look at a used samyang lens.

15 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

The Samyang 14mm can be cheaper and wider than most vintage lenses!

thx for this tips to you and all the other members. 

I wish to ask you what would you suggest to me (which lenses) if you had to shoot with a crop factor 4,37x?

basically I wish to shoot for indy cinema, this is the primary reason why I'm choosing lens to declick. the huge crop factor to shoot raw at the best quality on Canon EOS with magic lantern say goodbye to the true wideangle shots. basically 8mm become a 35mm with a  crop factor of 4,37x ( aspect ratio 1,85:1).

I was looking for the 8mm from samyang. the problem is that I really wish to avoid barrel distortion. and someone said me that the barrel of the samy 8mm still there even at "35mm".

so basically I wish to find some economic solution. I'm looking also at some kind of wide angle lens adapters but they looks really bad.

I need to use only the small center of the sensor (shooting 1:1 no lineskipping) basically it's like this.

7d.png.4eca5f940294b6bf07748d09e1e2b0c5.

source: http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

using only the center of the image... maybe I could find other solutions. maybe strange lens adapters (speed booster?). lenses for other camera formats... custom solutions...

I mean maybe I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg. can you suggest to me some creative (and almost cheap) solution please?

thx!

1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

thx for this tips to you and all the other members. 

I wish to ask you what would you suggest to me (which lenses) if you had to shoot with a crop factor 4,37x?

basically I wish to shoot for indy cinema, this is the primary reason why I'm choosing lens to declick. the huge crop factor to shoot raw at the best quality on Canon EOS with magic lantern say goodbye to the true wideangle shots. basically 8mm become a 35mm with a  crop factor of 4,37x ( aspect ratio 1,85:1).

I was looking for the 8mm from samyang. the problem is that I really wish to avoid barrel distortion. and someone said me that the barrel of the samy 8mm still there even at "35mm".

so basically I wish to find some economic solution. I'm looking also at some kind of wide angle lens adapters but they looks really bad.

I need to use only the small center of the sensor (shooting 1:1 no lineskipping) basically it's like this.

7d.png.4eca5f940294b6bf07748d09e1e2b0c5.

source: http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

using only the center of the image... maybe I could find other solutions. maybe strange lens adapters (speed booster?). lenses for other camera formats... custom solutions...

I mean maybe I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg. can you suggest to me some creative (and almost cheap) solution please?

thx!

Are you using Magic Lantern on an eos-m with the 3x crop? If so, then I recommend C-mount lenses. No question. 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Are you using Magic Lantern on an eos-m with the 3x crop? If so, then I recommend C-mount lenses. No question. 

no I'm using Canon 7d. is it possible to mount c-lenses on 7d using adapters? could it work?  thx!

6 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Why do you want to go to all this trouble with a Canon DSLR, when the most obvious thing to do here (to me) is getting yourself a BMPCC or BMMCC and adapt some C-mount or KIEV-16U lenses for example??

today I'm in economic problems and I can't maybe one day I will! thx for the tips. 

1 hour ago, BrorSvensson said:

sigma 8-16mm is good

thank you, it's a little bit costy for me. the 8mm to 16 would perfect for the purpose....

I had this idea: "Olympus Body Cap" mounted on canon 7D. may you suggest some adapter or diy solution please? I guess maybe it's impossibile because some lenses are designed to fit at "tot." millimeters from the sensor. and I do not know if Olympus and Canon EF-S needs the same amount of space. maybe I' m rambling.

1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

thank you, it's a little bit costy for me. the 8mm to 16 would perfect for the purpose....

I had this idea: "Olympus Body Cap" mounted on canon 7D. may you suggest some adapter or diy solution please? I guess maybe it's impossibile because some lenses are designed to fit at "tot." millimeters from the sensor. and I do not know if Olympus and Canon EF-S needs the same amount of space. maybe I' m rambling.

that is litterly the softest lens ever made. also the m43 flange distance is way lnger.

I was impressed with the Magic Lantern footage so I bought the canon 7D (used) for that purpose I know that's totally crazy. This is my first camera... and then because I have economic problems and at that time the best choice was probably a canon 550d used for me. 
The quality is incredible (I still in love lol), take a look at this video go full screen and press physical the numbers "6" and "8" on your computer keyboard. (it's a funny youtube trick lol).

...stay grounded I admit there is no reason to shoot RAW for me unless I want to make a short movie and experiments.  
To be fair, I hide behind the excuse that shooting raw = studying color grading in Davinci Resolve. this is false because theoretically I could learn the rudiments of learning grading in Resolve with h264 (shooting cinestyle). is this true? because I wish to learn Davinci Resolve but it seems that I need NASA equipment before i start studying.

5 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

I was impressed with the Magic Lantern footage so I bought the canon 7D (used) for that purpose I know that's totally crazy. This is my first camera... and then because I have economic problems and at that time the best choice was probably a canon 550d used for me. 
The quality is incredible (I still in love lol), take a look at this video go full screen and press physical the numbers "6" and "8" on your computer keyboard. (it's a funny youtube trick lol).

...stay grounded I admit there is no reason to shoot RAW for me unless I want to make a short movie and experiments.  
To be fair, I hide behind the excuse that shooting raw = studying color grading in Davinci Resolve. this is false because theoretically I could learn the rudiments of learning grading in Resolve with h264 (shooting cinestyle). is this true? because I wish to learn Davinci Resolve but it seems that I need NASA equipment before i start studying.

If its your first camera than just shoot h264 in camera, no need for raw. Focus on the fundementals of film making for now, telling a story, learning about light and how to properly expose your camera for a scene. Only after you are starting to get a grab about those things then i would recommend you messing around with raw.

8 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

If its your first camera than just shoot h264 in camera, no need for raw. Focus on the fundementals of film making for now, telling a story, learning about light and how to properly expose your camera for a scene. Only after you are starting to get a grab about those things then i would recommend you messing around with raw.

thanks a lot I really appreciate your help. I'll roll up my sleeves! :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@Dan Wake Remember that while you'll be getting good colour, shooting the 7D in 5x crop mode will give you the same image aesthetic of a phone, no ability to get background separation, high noise, and just an overall extremely large camera+lenses to use a tiny portion of it. 5x is phone/point-n-shoot size sensor.

You say it's for film/narrative shooting and I honestly suggest you use the H.264 full s35 mode with normal glass, the 7D is still a very capable HD camera. The images you'll get for film using s35 mode with lenses like cheap s35 10-18mm epic ultra wide scenes and 50mm f/1.8 prime or vintage nikon primes cinematic 35mm aesthetic/depth of field will give a much better aesthetic and overall result to your audience vs shooting the 5x raw crop mode with old super wides, and use a fader ND for those shots you want to ride exposure,
or of course de-clicked primes or the great ML ''Gradual exposure'' mode when turned on you can ride exposure smoothly through changing ISO. Be reasonable since budget is limited and keep experimentation as a side plan when budget allows for it. 

Just my advice.