Better Call Saul camera info

Jonesy Jones

I've just now got around to watching this show now that it popped up on Netflix. Personally, I love it. I'm a sucker for lawyer stories. However, my thought the whole time was that, good Lord this footage looks awful. What did they film this with, an iPhone? Then I checked the tech specs on IMDb which said that it was filmed on Red Dragon. I couldn't believe it. So I looked for bts images and all I saw were Arri cameras. Now I'm even more at a loss. Would love to hear your thoughts. Is this just a horrid grade? Is this what audiences expect?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Honestly, I have no issues with it as I think they're angling for a sort of dirty low-fi vibe overall. 

Imaging is subjective.

BTW, you should go find Vince Gilligan's WTF podcast interview with Marc Maron. 

They go off for a wonky 15 to 20 minutes about film vs. digital.  The discussion feels like it could have been lifted from the pages of eos-hd.

43 minutes ago, The Chris said:

I never looked it to what it was shot on, but I DVR all the new episodes, lots of moire pops up throughout. Loved Saul on Breaking Bad, looking forward to the new season. 

Yes, moire everywhere. Blown out skies everywhere. Way overly crushed blacks. It does not look like Breaking Bad at all. Though I'm struggling to believe BB was shot on film, but I'll take your word for it. For tv I thought BB looked good but not a look I'd strive for myself. I love both stories and am able to get past the look, but sometimes it's pretty distracting. 

This is a weird discussion, I like it. Yeah I thought it was the dragon, maybe there were arris in there, maybe there were more dslr b cameras, no idea. I thought they matched the look of breaking bad really well. There's a lot of green (I realize somtimes it's literally green lighting), but I thought the green in the skin tones, even in daylight, looked really really good and was just about to experiment with it myself. Didn't notice any moire. The occasional shot is overly contrasty or a sequence (like a flashback) will have a specific look. Mostly looked like impressive DR, but skies can blow out on any camera, especially film. Depending on the scene, I have zero issue with it.

I was just impressed this spinoff was any good. Breaking Bad was a little over the top (seeing as it all happened in like a year), I was just ready to discredit this because - apparently Saul had an even more ridiculous backstory. And then the next spinoff will have to be supernatural.. but overall I thought it was pretty subdued and interesting in a normal way. We'll see where it goes though.