How do you grade

bunk

Ebrahim Saadawi showed his method to grade Slog footage in the Sony A6300 thread. In this case Slog 2 footage.
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/19110-sony-a6300-4k/?do=findComment&comment=131104

Ebrahinm used a random S-curve. I think by doing so he missed a change to better grade his footage. If you delog your footage with the curve used to created the footage you get way better results, I think.
Imho this not only works for Log footage but for every profile from your camera. For some reason that is beyond me you have to rotate the curves from the “normal” profiles 180 degrees to make this methode work. Except for the GH4 (thanks to Balazer) it’s pretty hard to find info on those curves. So that’s kind of a problem. But info on the Log curves can be found everywhere.

Back to the Slog-2 footage. The picture below shows it graded in DaVinci. The node 01 correspondents with the curve 01, etc.
Last node [01] is the delog node but is the one you start with, kind of backwards.

slog2_grade_methode.thumb.jpg.49890c1b80

I attached the .dpx file so you can test it out in DaVinci your self. Not sure if you need the .drx

slog2_example_2.1.1.dpx

slog2_example_2.1.1.drx

I would like to hear from others how they grade there (log)footage or is it something you leave to the LUTs?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs