Tribute to 80'ies synth-pop. Only vintage synths used.

elkanah77

Tried to capture the essence of the fun, up-tempo and a bit melancholy synth-pop of the 80'ies. The decade I loved so much. I made this with a lot of old gear for the music. As for image I used only a Sony A6000 with the kit-lens and the 55mm 1.8. Some of the shots are also the iPhone 6 with a 4K hack. Most of the shots with that worked ok, but it's not 100% stable.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Dude that's awesome. I love vintage synths. I never have the extra cash for them but I've downloaded the vintage Roland and Korg synths on my iPad to play with a MIDI keyboard.

Tears For Fears is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks! I know, I started out as a musician and will die a musician and I lived the era so now I only make what I love and I'm gonna stick with that. The old synths are getting increasingly more expensive and both buying and owning one can be a hard ride as they break down very often. Luckily I'm good with the soldering iron he-he. :-)

I hold Tears for Fears high on my list as well. I would have to go for The Pet Shop Boys if I was to pick out a single influence.

6 hours ago, tellure said:

Did you write and perform the song too?  If so, really impressive!  The music is great.  Shooting was cool too, especially the snow shots.

Thanks. Glad you liked it. I did write, perform and record/produce this song, but it's not me singing. I don't have that singing power I'm afraid so someone else wrote the lyrics and performs the vocals. As for the snow, well, it's all gone now I'm sorry to tell. Will be back with some stills from the shoot later. Follow me on my Youtube channel for more to come... :blush:

I've re-listened to it a few times now.. it's really quite catchy.  I used to listen to a ton of 80s synth-pop and when I first heard it I thought was it was some song I somehow missed or couldn't recognize because your cover sounded different enough from the original.  But in fact it was an original!  Congrats, you really did capture the 80s, and especially that melancholy touch you mentioned.  The production quality of the tune is also excellent.. sounds very professionally mixed.

My only suggestion would be to shoot a real music video that's less of a of a home studio performance.  Seems like it could be fun trying to re-interpret the 80s music video with modern gear. 

4 hours ago, tellure said:

I've re-listened to it a few times now.. it's really quite catchy.  I used to listen to a ton of 80s synth-pop and when I first heard it I thought was it was some song I somehow missed or couldn't recognize because your cover sounded different enough from the original.  But in fact it was an original!  Congrats, you really did capture the 80s, and especially that melancholy touch you mentioned.  The production quality of the tune is also excellent.. sounds very professionally mixed.

My only suggestion would be to shoot a real music video that's less of a of a home studio performance.  Seems like it could be fun trying to re-interpret the 80s music video with modern gear. 

Thanks again. It's very uplifting to read such a good review when you've worked very hard to capture and revive a feeling brewing for a long time. I'm set to release a string of songs this year in the same spirit. Please subscribe to my Youtube channel to get some momentum going.

As for the music video, I agree completely and would love to have some VHS-retro-looking images rolling on this. However, at this point it's not really possible but if I get a lot of feedback on this and the couple of next, I'd might hire a crew to make such a video as I love it as well. Thanks again! :-)