Expose shot when filming before or after switching to Picture Profile? - Canon EOS

coffee_king

Hi Guys

Great forum, but I have a question.

When filming with "Picture profiles" I’ve read some websites that state they:

a) Set the shot up (Exposure etc) in plain standard/neutral/auto profile and then not change any settings but 
b) Switch over to the User defined picture profile (Say Prolost, cinestyle etc) and then hit record to start shooting.

Then Ive heard some say they just set up/expose from step B and shoot in that picture profile and dont even mention step A.

Which is the “Correct” method please?

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Neither way is wrong just do what you feel most comfortable with.

It's nice to have a feel for the colours and contrast of the scene with a standard profile but I rarely switch to one if I am shooting S-LOG.

And by the way the View Assist of the A6300 and A7S II solves all this by giving you standard colour and contrast whilst S-LOG is enabled.

If the camera has zebras and you are working run and gun without lights, just expose as high as you can until the zebras blow where you want.

If you work with lights, get a portable lightmeter and expose with that (it's always a good idea). The zone system works wonders, if you have skin get it to 18% grey, but do this with your light meter.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Picture Styles on Canon EOS DSLRs alter the dynamic range of the captured video. At Standard PS with default settings, you have one stop less highlight headroom compared to Neutral PS with -4 Contrast, so if you expose in Standard you will see highlight clipping even when you can still increase exposure by one full stop before clipping occurs in the recorded file (with Neutral PS). Therefore exposing in one PS and capturing in another will cause unexpected results. Exposing and shooting in Neutral/Faithful PS with 0 sharpening, -4 Contrast and -2 Saturation is the best practise. For immediate delivery (home video/instant viewing via HDMI TV) using un-altered Standard PS is preferred for proper contrast and saturation.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
3 hours ago, coffee_king said:

Hi

Thanks for that. I understand most of it.

A further question then, with Picture Profiles should I still be over exposing the video by one stop, or should it be centred?

I will later grade with the appropriate LUT for the profile.

Thanks

Do you have Magic Lantern installed first?