Aja Cion 2X Anamorphic?

hogo

hello, 

I'm new to this forum, and to anamorphic lenses in general. So, as you can guess, my brain is completely fried from all of the possibilities. I have a question though that I have not been able to answer as of yet, hopefully this very deep forum can help me. I have access to an AJA CION and want to shoot anamorphic on it. I am very confused though if a 2X  ana lens will work, or if I need to go to a 1.33 or 1.5? I know the sensor is 4:3 but i'm kinda sure the camera doesn't use that aspect ratio in any of its formats. Could someone please explain to me If the Cion can or cannot use a 2X ana Lens and why? I understand that the bmpcc (which i have) has a 16:9 sensor, and that a 2X ana lens would render a massively wide image, but I can't for the life of me figure out if the Cion can use one! I've been saving a lot of restaurant tips to get a new lens and I want to get the right one for me. BTW, I am considering the slr magic 2x or 1.33, lenses with a couple diff taking lenses that I already have. If you've read this far, you are a saint. THANKS!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As with many cameras that can't shoot a dedicated 4:3 aspect for 2x anamorphic, you will have to shoot 16x9 and then crop the sides of your footage in post to the ratio you want to deliver. This is not uncommon at all and since many cameras shoot 4K+ resolution now, it's not a critical amount of resolution you are discarding from the sides of your frame. 1.33 or 1.5x squeeze lenses will allow more of your 16x9 image to be retained, as the 'unsqueezed' image will be less extreme in its wide aspect. Marking the monitor with a frame line of what you know you will be cropping to in post will allow you accurate framing when shooting.

• 2 years later...

Hogo,

I also have a Cion with four Zeiss Super-speed Primes. I plan to shoot a feature in October with the Cion and an anamorphic adapter.  Eager to find out what you discovered on your anamorphic "journey"...

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Letus adapter. 

Cheers.