Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

49 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

A normal speed booster on a 2.3x sensor would give you a 1.63x crop, which isn't bad. Still, a decided advantage for the NX1, not to mention 30p UHD.

I swear if that camera could be speed boosted and shot HBR H.264 we'd all own one.

Please see my calculation at the bottom of page 11. A 2.3x crop would mean NO oversampling at 30p which doesn't sound like what the press release is saying. Using the figures from the press release I arrived at 1.9x which can be boosted to 1.3x, which would be better than NX1 because the latter cannot be boosted.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, dahlfors said:

For wide shots with speedbooster I'd recommend trying to get a 16-35 f/4 (If you're on a tight budget, have a look for used ones, I've seen used ones for about 500-600 euro in Sweden). Very sharp full-frame lens for 4k. That lens will be pretty wide even at the crop modes.

I love the AI-S 50mm f/1.8 with speed booster on my NEX - a good allround pancake 50mm, makes for a really compact setup. Same goes for the AI-S 28mm f/2.8 and the AI-S 85mm f/2, still fairly compact setups with speedbooster, although they aren't pancake lenses. 

dahlfors,

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking to see what I can find.

On 06/02/2016 at 11:21 AM, Andrew Reid said:

So to recap on the all important crops...

24p = no crop Super 35mm 4K (1.5x crop vs full frame)
30p = 2.3x crop 4K
120p = 2.3x crop 1080p

Looks like the Samsung NX1 has an ace card here.

But I am sure the A6300 will have the dynamic range advantage... and proper LOG profile.

Buggerybum. feel my interest in this camera crashing. Unless the 1080 is speccy

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, gsenroc said:

Still I feel a bit unbelievable that there is a 2.3x crop with 4k 30p as 25p is full sensor readout. This is too stupid for the engineer. Are you sure about this Andrew?

The Camera Store TV tested a beta firmware I think so it could change.

On 2/6/2016 at 4:12 PM, Flaaandeeers said:

Just sold my GH4 and 14-140 in order to get a Nikon D750 (was considering NX1 for a while but price is too steep for a discontinued system).

Looking for a bigger sensor and better usable DR & low light.

Now I'm debating if i should wait for this sucker instead.

I think you might be disappointed with the D750.  I owned one for a month but returned it; one of the reasons why is that the video resolution is limited to HD and Nikon is doing some pixel binning or line skipping. I found the level of picture detail & sharpness, while better than most Canon DSLRs, to be disappointing.  I replaced it with a Panasonic G7 (similar to the GH4 you sold).  Shooting in 4K on the G7 and "down-rezzing" it to HD yielded a much sharper image than the D750 was able to produce.  The one advantage the D750 does have is better low light capabilities thanks to it's full frame sensor, but for me at least it was not enough to offset the lack of sharpness and detail in good light.  If your priority is good low light video then an A7SII, which costs only a bit more than a D750, would probably make a better choice.

I uploaded a frame grab from a video I shot on a D750.  As you can see, fine detail on the trees and grass is getting lost due no doubt to line skipping or pixel binning. (you'll need to click on the image and then expand it to full resolution by clicking on the "full size" link on the lower left of the screen to see the lack of detail I'm referring to).

D750_frame.png

Let me try to rationalize the crop from an engineering standpoint. Look at the A7RII. Can it do a 42MP full sensor readout and downsample/record to UHD? Can't do that. Why? You can only read so many pixels so quickly. There is always a bandwidth ceiling, be it the actual data rate coming out of the sensor, or the speed of the processing engine required to encode it. The APS-C crop of A7RII is about 18MP, and we can do a readout of that center crop (about a 5K readout) and downsample/record to UHD at 30p.

The A6300 is subject to a similar readout ceiling (5K max). That, according to my calculations, corresponds to a 1.9x crop factor, akin to the 'two-ish' crop reported by reviewers who have actually tried their hands on the camera.

If you lower the frame rate, you can read a larger area of the sensor within the same bandwidth. So, a 6k readout is only possible at 24p. At 30p we can do a 5k readout max.

GX8 had worse 4k crop than G7 because the former had higher resolution. So what Sony could have done was to lower the resolution of A6300 until it can do a full sensor readout at 30p. But that would have been hard for them to swallow a feature regression compared to previous models and even the A5100. We should have been happy that Sony did not further increased the resolution beyond 24MP, which would have made the crop even worse. So, Sony has in fact made the best design compromise here - same 24MP means neither the pixel counters nor the high ISO affectionados would be (overly) offended, and as a corollary the cinematic purists for the first time after NX1 and A7SII had their full sensor 4k, a feat that Panasonic had yet to be able to match. This design compromise has made the least number of people unhappy, so I would see this as a glass half full instead of a glass half empty.

This approach is exactly what Panasonic should learn and follow, IMO. Oversample over a larger area of the sensor to reduce the crop factor, even when it is only possible to do so at lower frame rate. Imagine a G7 with no 4k crop at 24p. Technically it is entirely doable.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The places I shop at is just as trustworthy. To be honest, they are more trustworthy.

Well, I was mentioning places the average guy (like myself) knows.

If there are other places better than those, good for you that you know them.

Only in that case you have to agree they could not be considered common, as any simply research on the market will not return a 30-40% less of the price as you mentioned.

In other words, it's sounds like something quite exclusive.

In fact, when you say 60-70% of the original price and that's because of stores which I can't consider common (otherwise a simple investigation would open the doors of these "better" places) you're kind of stating something which can't be proved, unless you would reveal the source.

2 hours ago, conurus said:

This approach is exactly what Panasonic should learn and follow, IMO. Oversample over a larger area of the sensor to reduce the crop factor, even when it is only possible to do so at lower frame rate. Imagine a G7 with no 4k crop at 24p. Technically it is entirely doable.

Eh...yeah, but Panasonic can output that resolution in 10-bit and Sony cannot. And without any overheating problems. 

Panasonic already does a bit of oversampling in their new cameras. The G7 has more of a 2.15-2.2x crop, not 1 to 1, which leads me to believe the next GH will oversample from a higher res (20mp?) portion of the sensor. 

Regardless, if you look at topics like A Tale of Two 2.0 Zooms, you'll see that Panasonic is doing just fine without sampling the full sensor width.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

For this size and cost 4K 24/25P from a S35 sensor with E-mount, I can forgive higher frame rates being a Crop! I just hope that since it can't handle extra 5fps that it's overclocked and would overheat shooting 4K s35. 

29 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

For this size and cost 4K 24/25P from a S35 sensor with E-mount, I can forgive higher frame rates being a Crop! I just hope that since it can't handle extra 5fps that it's overclocked and would overheat shooting 4K s35. 

That's the million dollar question. They've clearly pushed the hardware to the limit giving is S35 UHD. It's a lot of horsepower in a small, affordable package.

Where's the catch?

2 hours ago, Gordon Zernich said:

Most camera manufacturers will need to provide more value in their product ... the next iPhone is said to have an excellent camera; it will put pressure on the Sonys and Panasonics to deliver more value.

Doesn't the current iteration of the iphone have a 12MP Sony Exmor sensor inside it?

15 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

That's the million dollar question. They've clearly pushed the hardware to the limit giving is S35 UHD. It's a lot of horsepower in a small, affordable package.

Where's the catch?

There is none, they applied some secret sauce with the previous firmware update (remember the one for a7s/a7r ii) that totally removed that over heating issue, no?

On 5/02/2016 at 1:50 AM, sanveer said:

I am surprised companies equate the touchscreen with lower end products. Also, Canon has the speed control om focus on it's autofocus cameras. I wish touch screens also has the focus speed controls. They could effectively help smaller Indie Crews focus far more easily and perceptively. 

I'm pretty sure Panasonic and Sony does have this for their touch screens already.

On 5/02/2016 at 3:11 AM, Snowfun said:

Pocket 2 @ NAB? (but delivery "in May" not soon enough...)

A "Pocket 2" already exists, it is the BMMCC (which sadly I think is *STILL* not shipping yet?? :-/).

I don't expect there will be a Pocket v2.0 like other people think for a while yet, certainly not this NAB and neither do I expect it at the NAB afterwards. As the BMMCC is already filling that niche of an improved BMPCC.

On 5/02/2016 at 11:48 AM, dsp_418 said:

I don't see the touchscreen as an important feature.

If I'm shooting with a Gymbal I can't use it anyway, other than that I'm using manual focus lenses, so for focusing purpose doesn't help either.

After I assign a couple of options to the F keys, I'm good to go.

Touchscreen is very handy for manual focus lenses! You can use the tap to zoom feature, which gives you a zoomed in area for precise focus manually. (rather than zooming into the center, then having to button smash to move around the zoomed in box to be over the area you want to be in focus)

12 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Considering what we know now, what would you guys recommend for lens combo's with a nikon to e-mount speedbooster?

Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 + Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 + Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8D + Nikon 85mm f/1.8D + Nikon 35mm f/2D

• Super Members
9 hours ago, araucaria said:

The secret,exclusive and miraculous Mattias Burling Stores, am I right?

Nope, biggest photo retailer in all of Sweden, and possible Scandinavia.

5 hours ago, mikegt said:

I think you might be disappointed with the D750.  I owned one for a month but returned it; one of the reasons why is that the video resolution is limited to HD and Nikon is doing some pixel binning or line skipping. I found the level of picture detail & sharpness, while better than most Canon DSLRs, to be disappointing.  I replaced it with a Panasonic G7 (similar to the GH4 you sold).  Shooting in 4K on the G7 and "down-rezzing" it to HD yielded a much sharper image than the D750 was able to produce.  The one advantage the D750 does have is better low light capabilities thanks to it's full frame sensor, but for me at least it was not enough to offset the lack of sharpness and detail in good light.  If your priority is good low light video then an A7SII, which costs only a bit more than a D750, would probably make a better choice.

I uploaded a frame grab from a video I shot on a D750.  As you can see, fine detail on the trees and grass is getting lost due no doubt to line skipping or pixel binning. (you'll need to click on the image and then expand it to full resolution by clicking on the "full size" link on the lower left of the screen to see the lack of detail I'm referring to).

D750_frame.png

I went the opisite way, sold the G7 and got the D750 for its imo superior video :)

Couldnt live with the low DR, colors and firmware quirks. Lowligt was of course very bad as well. Still a decent camera and very cheap.

To ad to earlier conversation the G7 has dropped to 50% for a brand new one at the big retailers. So a good deal imo.

(cant answer for Amazon and such, rumor says they are ripoffs ;) )

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

There is none, they applied some secret sauce with the previous firmware update (remember the one for a7s/a7r ii) that totally removed that over heating issue, no?

The A7R II solved it, but this is a denser sensor in a smaller body. We won't know for sure until the camera's in our hands.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Couldnt live with the low DR, colors and firmware quirks. Lowligt was of course very bad as well. Still a decent camera and very cheap.

I actually really like Panasonic color in the Natural profile. It doesn't have Nikon-level DR but still very respectable, and the low light is actually 1-1.5 stops better than the GH4. Factor in the benefits of downsampling 4K and it becomes a very attractive image at a very attractive price. I'm excited to see what can be squeezed out of it with an external recorder.