GoPro 3 exposure lock petition

Pavel Mašek

Hi all,

please join us to improve GoPro 3 with our GoPro 3 exposure lock petition. Thank you.

Text of the petition:

We, the GoPro3 users, would like to ask you if you could enhance the GoPro camera with exposure lock functionality. GoPro is a wonderful camera, however, inability to lock exposure can cause side effects that can be noticed in the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMCWAqY_Io. We would also appreciate full manual control over ISO and exposure, but we all hope that you could add at least the exposure lock function. Thank you very much.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gopro-3-exposure-lock/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is funny.  You have a camera the size of a pack of gum that packs 5x the ability of most cameras on the market at double the gopro price and you ask for more.  Be patient, I'm sure they are aware of all issues, and it takes time.  You breathing down their next will do nothing but create a hiccup in their progress.  There are FAR more important issues that need to be addressed long before an exposure lock.  Poor battery life, turning on automatically, charging issues, and don't forget about the app that lags for 5 seconds and doesn't provide live preview.  Now that foxconn bought a chunk of gopro, they will be one of the greatest cameras ever, or will come stock with every iphone.

I do not have any of issues you have mentioned - it is mostly related to first series of GoPro 3 Black. And it is funny that you want better battery life if you record 2,7K in 45Mbit/s with camera size of pack of gum (I will buy 2 Wasabi bateries with charger for 25 bucks instead). ... And lack of exposure lock is not an issue - it is lack of functionality - same as 5DmkII had after it was released without manual exposure/aperture control. 

Lag of 5 second is partly caused by the smartphone/table itself. Android devices has shorter lag (about 2 second) than IPhones/iPads.

I do not have any of issues you have mentioned - it is mostly related to first series of GoPro 3 Black. And it is funny that you want better battery life if you record 2,7K in 45Mbit/s with camera size of pack of gum (I will buy 2 Wasabi bateries with charger for 25 bucks instead). ... And lack of exposure lock is not an issue - it is lack of functionality - same as 5DmkII had after it was released without manual exposure/aperture control. 

Lag of 5 second is partly caused by the smartphone/table itself. Android devices has shorter lag (about 2 second) than IPhones/iPads.

a lag is a lag is a lag, and I don't always shoot 2.7k and I also have multiple batteries. 

the fact is, the camera hasn't even been out 6 months yet, let them do their job.

if you want a game that has exposure lock, buy a camera that cost more than $400

they didn't cheat you out of anything, because "exposure lock" is not mentioned as a feature.

and you may be wasting your time if it isn't even possible. so like I originally said, there are several other

issues that need addressed before exposure lock.  and there are issues that others have that I ddin't mention.

also, you and a handful of others may in fact have a bad batch of the hero 3, I haven't noticed such an issue, so I guess I can say "I do not have any of the issues you have mentioned" so I have no need to sign, and I will leave it up to gopro to address the issues which i'm 99.9% sure they are MORE than aware of. 

Have you tried a simple e-mail or phone call? Or did you just shoot sraight to a pitition? 

OK, there is no need to be so offensive.

I just think that if you can have manual control in video mode in Nikon P300 (which is quite cheap compact camera) you can have (even more) simplier feature in GoPro. GoPro is used in lot of professional production and I think that is the reason why GoPro has added features like protune and high bitrate - but it seems they forgot on this very important feature.

I agree that the GoPro may add this in near future even without this funny petition - but please realize that lot of users of first and second generation wanted this function too - but without success. I also think that issues you have mentioned can be caused by hardware of earlier batch of GoPro's 3B. If they would be software issues - they should occure in all GoPro's (?). 

Just FYI - I have spent about 15 minutes on estabilishing this petiton. 

A. gopro will adress this feture if they see fit

B. gopro may not care that this feature is missing

C. gopro sales will not be affected by this

D. gopro will still be used in professional productions with or without this feature

E. gopro isn't a sony, nikon, canon, or panasonic, their issues will take a little longer to sort out

F. maybe they are saving this as marketing plan for the Hero 4? (much like iPhone saves features for later that they are more than able to offer)

If you put EVERY single thing possible into one camera, how would they ever be able to sale a hero 4?

I am totally with the op. This is absolutely the most glaringly offensive lack of a feature on this camera. 

Is there seriously harm in asking for a simple feature to be added? This is the 3rd overhaul of the camera, still no exposure lock

you must not understand

if the company feels like fixing it, they will

obviously they are a CAMERA manufacture.  they know what their capabilities are

has the exposure glitch been tested in regular/wide/fish and has it been tested and ran through on EVERY setting of the 

camera?  

like I said, if they NEVER address this issue, sales still won't be affected.

I personally think they camera does an AMAZING!!!! job of being able to  have a VERY balanced exposure of the sky and the ground without blown out highlights. and if I had to guess, THIS is the reason you will never have an option for exposure lock.  Can you find me another camera on the market that can do this without an ND filter or post correction?

Geez, why so offensive about a little feature request. 

It is not a bug, it is just a very simple software feature that is not there and should be pretty easy to add.

Just like a smartphone, the standard camera app doesn't have exposure lock most of the times. Many 3rd party apps do.

Most GoPro users won't care for exposure lock or don't even know what it is. They just want to press a button and end up with a good looking video. Which is what the GoPro does.

But if you want to mix GoPro video with your dslr footage it would be nice to be able to lock the exposure. That's all what's being asked for here.

With adding exposure lock GoPro is not going to cannibalize any of their own products, it would just make the product better and they'd probably sell more of them. To me for example...

Geez, why so offensive about a little feature request. 

It is not a bug, it is just a very simple software feature that is not there and should be pretty easy to add.

Just like a smartphone, the standard camera app doesn't have exposure lock most of the times. Many 3rd party apps do.

Most GoPro users won't care for exposure lock or don't even know what it is. They just want to press a button and end up with a good looking video. Which is what the GoPro does.

But if you want to mix GoPro video with your dslr footage it would be nice to be able to lock the exposure. That's all what's being asked for here.

With adding exposure lock GoPro is not going to cannibalize any of their own products, it would just make the product better and they'd probably sell more of them. To me for example...

Thank you for the support, guys! I think that some feature update firmware is possible - just take a look on Go Pro 2 which received Protune mode (I think big feature) almost at the end its production. They could wait on GP3 with that.

GP3B is great camera and I would like to use it also on wide angle landscapes shots (it has way better resolution than my 5DmkII on wide angles). But the exposure flickering is not really what I would like to see ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMCWAqY_Io ).

I have sent email to GoPro and asked them if there is any chance that they will add exposure lock feature in the future. I am still waiting for the answer... Anyway I do not think that this petition will have more than 50 signs (most of them are seems to be fake now), but I can say that I have tried something.

And here comes the answer from GoPro support:

Hi Pavel,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We will definitely pass that on to our development team for consideration in our future products!

They have not said anything about coming out with something like that at this time.

To be kept up to date on any new product releases, please be sure to sign up for our online newsletter:

http://gopro.com/newsletter/

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,
Brandon R. 
GoPro Support
gopro.com/support

Well it seems that we really have to wait on GP4 :-(

so, was making a patition to begin with worth it?

It was your attempt to feel like you acomplished something, just like everone does with a petition.

a simple e-mail or phone call will get you results quicker than trying to force the system.

you guys are REALLY missing the BIGGER picture.

if it's something they wanted, it would already be on there, or they are saving it for the hero 4

i've never looked into the possibilites, but if people (hackers) really felt this was a end of the world feature, they would already be trying to hack the ability to it. it's a $400 camera, leave it at that.

As a "$400 camera" it does everything I need it to, and then some.

why is this even a discussion anymore?

@zach

and you can't agree that there may be a reason they don't/can't/wont add it?

you ASSUME it's a possibility.  just as we ASSUME each new Canon won't suffer from moire, yet it does.

my next question is, if the HERO 4 doesn't have a exp. lock, will you refuse to buy it? be honest

lets just pretend what MIGHT be possible of the HERO 4....144mbs or more, true 4k, raw, 4 hour battery, and a new interchangeable lens system.  will you NOT buy it if there is no lock? 

@zach

you ASSUME it's a possibility.  just as we ASSUME each new Canon won't suffer from moire, yet it does.

my next question is, if the HERO 4 doesn't have a exp. lock, will you refuse to buy it? be honest

lets just pretend what MIGHT be possible of the HERO 4....144mbs or more, true 4k, raw, 4 hour battery, and a new interchangeable lens system.  will you NOT buy it if there is no lock? 

144mbs 4K would be useless if you have flickering image in some situation. So I would probaly wait on GP5 :-)

Why did they add Protune into GP2? 

to test it before it got mass produced into millions of Hero 3?

no, to add 24p, 35mbs, CineStyle maybe?, and a flatter image better for grading, instead of crushed blacks.

have  you tested for the flciker with protune on & off? and a 24/30/48/60/120, and then the variety of those settings combination with 720,1080,2k

which I think is like 30+ different setting combinations to experiment with.

That's a pointless comparison. Exposure lock is a simple software feature, most $100 point and shoot camera's can do it. Plenty of smartphone apps can enable it in cameraphones.

The fact that most dslrs have moire in video mode is much more complex and not easy to fix (unless you make a camera that is aimed at movie instead of photography). It's hardware related. Exposure Lock isn't.

There aren't many arguments to have no exposure lock. They don't have to protect anything in their line up. It is probably not there because of most users don't care. Although it is a bit weird since there is something like ProTune.

Anyway, the whole ProTune thing shows that GoPro doesn't mind adding functionality to and end of life product. Exposure lock is a very small upgrade compared to ProTune. Both in functionality and and effort required to add it.