Canon 1DX II - Video Camera Perspective - Mini interview on the missing details

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
9 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

Just to be clear... I can use any Canon USM lens on the 1DXII and use DPAF face tracking while shooting 4K video?

Yes of course. Any Canon autofocus lens, not just USM. 

On 06/03/2016 at 1:25 PM, wolf33d said:

Amazing AF and impressive 4k60p. With Canon colours and ergonomics and lenses. Sounds great.... 

But I do not have 6k to put in a camera. If only the 5DIV would have those specs.

But 5DIV will have 4k30p and 2k60p unfortunately. 
What a mess, each time a new product is released it's always missing some features another product has. 

Would Canon ever give us a mirrorless camera in a 5D body with touch screen tilt screen and 1DXII video specs? 

Nope. 

Sony has the specs but I sold my A7RII already. It is a non joy to use. A pure shit actually in everything but specs. I spent my 2 weeks shooting with it in Cuba changing settings all the time instead of actually shooting.

What did you go back to instead?

14 hours ago, forofilms said:

What did you go back to instead?

I'd like to know that as well. The a7s2 is an abomination in terms of usability for anybody new to Sony - spent more time in the settings than shooting and will have to train myself to know what it cannot do more than what it can do. I have hit more greyed out options than I can shake a stick at. I guess for people with quick muscle memory it isn't much of a problem and Sony engineers have aimed their cameras at these kinds of people - you know, the kind that learn the piano in an afternoon.

If a huge amount of money landed, I would not hesitate to ditch what I have and switch to the 1DXII, given what I have seen and heard so far. I certainly haven't heard anybody struggle with the menu system but did hear EVERYBODY warning about Sony's 'retarded' menu system from the a7s to the a7s2. I think that I arrogantly assumed that they must all be a bit dense and that I would get it in no time.

How wrong I was lol.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 25/05/2016 at 3:56 AM, Jaime Valles said:

Excellent, thanks. And what about non-Canon lenses? Sigma Art, etc. Would the DPAF work  with those?

They'll work too. There has been a report of one or two third part lenses not working well with DPAF particularly the SIGMA 18-35mm f/1.8 but sigma updated the lens firmware and fixed that issue as well. DPAF prqctically works with any lens that will work on a Canon camera. So no worries there. It's just STM lenses are usable with use with in-board audio recording as they make no noise while focusing or stabilizing.

11 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

Another question... How easy is it to match a 1DXII (shooting in HD) with a C100?

Also, if using the Atomos Ninja or Blackmagic Video Assist with the 1DXII in HD I can bypass the 30 minute record limit of the camera, right?

Difficult match, see my post on the other 1DX II thread.

External recorder bypass the 30min limit, note that BVA does not do pull down internally, you end up getting PsF files and need to manually set pulldown in post.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
14 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

Another question... How easy is it to match a 1DXII (shooting in HD) with a C100?

Also, if using the Atomos Ninja or Blackmagic Video Assist with the 1DXII in HD I can bypass the 30 minute record limit of the camera, right?

1- Don't shoot in HD. Shoot in 4K and downsample to HD to get a matching clarity to the C100. HD on the 1DXII is a lot softer, a bad mode. Avoid. 

2- How difficult easy to match: The 1DXII has the same picture profiles as all the other Canon SLRs. So it will be identical to say 5D Neutral matching to C100. Not Ideal, but doable. 

Matching Canon DSLRs as B cams to C100/300 has been a subject of discussion in many places. The same applies to the 1DXII. It has the same colour science, colour saturation, contrast, sharpness, signature of any Canon DSLR from a 5DIII to 550D. 

From my conclusion, I saw that shooting the Canon DSLR is the flattest profile possible with the lowest saturation possible is the way to go

matching the C line. Take that flat footage and tailor it to the C100 contrast/saturation. It's definitely doable. I advice Cinestyle. 

3- Yea using an external video recorder will bypass the 30min limit as well as give you a great HD mode that's missing from the 1DXII internal recording. 

(The 1DC is a better B Camera for the C series. Becauae it has S35 mode and C-LOG that makes absolutely identical image to the C100 image - s35 CLOG. Both in resolution and colour and dynamic range and contrast, could never tell them apart. But I gather from your questions you want Dual Pixel . But don't be let down, lots of people are shooting Canon dslrs as B cams for the C series and they get a pretty seemless match when graded carefully side by side to get similar images, It's been done and is being done everyday)