Guess the Camera (please)

Lintelfilm

I'm trying to figure out what camera this BTS doc was shot on. My guess is either a C100 MkII or a GH4 (at the outside a very-well-coloured A7RII). Pretty sure it's not a "real" cinema camera. Highlight rolloff isn't stunning. Definitely looks like a 4K sensor to me. I'd guess a C100 MkII. Colours are very nice.

Any ideas?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

looks like a7s and a canon 24-70 L series to me.

Huh surprising guess but now you say it, full frame kind of makes sense. If it is an A7S I'm surprised I like the colours so much. The way it renders the fluorescent lights looks quite like Sony though. If it's the 24-70 it must be on a shoulder rig (which I'd expect anyway for this) - there's very little evidence of jello.

Seemed like a bigger, heavier camera with low RS and with very nice audio preamps (could be separate audio, but less likely for a BTS doc) though skintones are dodgy. Guessing Sony FS7.

Yes this is what I thought. Big heavy camera for handheld sand good audio.

I did a bit of a search and there isn't much info but these docs are all made by one production team and certainly they've used a C300 on a few projects (the only camera I found alluded to).

http://goodinaroom.com/blog/academy-originals/

I'd guess either they've stuck with that or "upgraded"(?) to a C100 Mk II.I'd be surprised if it was a C300 MkII. 

Anyways my guess remains with it being a Canon Cinema camera.

I happen to do a lot of behind the scenes work for the studios, as an editor of pieces just like these. 9 times out of 10 the shooters have a C300 package. But i can't confirm if that's the case here.

Thanks Zak. Are you still seeing a lot of C300 stuff in more recent months?

Whatever it is it's very poorly shot. C300 is believable. 

What about the shooting do you think is poor?

Poorly lit. Poorly exposed. Poorly framed.

it's not always lit for the "talent", it's a BTS. the outdoor stuff my be a little blown, but people from forums like these might be too cautious of blowing highlights. the important part looks exposed properly. framing is fine

I don't think it's a gh4. it looks pretty digitally sharpened (in camera or in post). that's about all I can say. I loooove stop motion. c100 or fs7 could give you a similar look, I'm sure, if that's what you're going for

it's not always lit for the "talent", it's a BTS. the outdoor stuff my be a little blown, but people from forums like these might be too cautious of blowing highlights. the important part looks exposed properly. framing is fine

I don't think it's a gh4. it looks pretty digitally sharpened (in camera or in post). that's about all I can say. I loooove stop motion. c100 or fs7 could give you a similar look, I'm sure, if that's what you're going for

It looks badly shot to me–not incompetent, just not great–but we're all allowed our opinions and that's mine. Even the interiors are badly overexposed and the lighting and composition on the faces are poor. Again, composition is subjective but this is pretty bad by any standards.

"Sharp" is consistent with C300. I've never heard of sharpening in post on a commercial project except to fix misfocused shots. If this is from freelance shooters in LA it's almost certainly C300, that camera is everywhere and practically what you're expected to own. I think the Vice documentaries shot with the C300 (and dSLRs) look nicer. It's definitely the camera I see most in LA, with the Amira and C100 coming in about equally tied for second. This is generally doc work. I don't work on set so it's what I see in the street. When I'm on set I see the Epic Dragon a lot, too.

I suppose with enough effort even the C300 colors can be made to look bad (especially the skintones); would be surprised to learn that BTS was shot with the C300.

Do you have a guess what camera JCS? 

Funny that so many don't like this BTS - I like the skin tones, the lighting, the camera movement. Sure it's rough around the edges, but in general I like it quite a bit. Colours aren't "accurate" but I think they're appealing (personally).

Do you have a guess what camera JCS? 

Funny that so many don't like this BTS - I like the skin tones, the lighting, the camera movement. Sure it's rough around the edges, but in general I like it quite a bit. Colours aren't "accurate" but I think they're appealing (personally).

The pink and green skintones remind me of Sony- guess is FS7 due to low RS and good audio quality. Could be A7R II perhaps...