Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I still wanna know if @Otto K @kinoseed or @vasile can give us a constant high res EVF like it is when you switch to movie standby mode. That will make shooting stills infinitey easier with this camera

Also I would like to know if anyone noticed that strange bump in light from ISO 2000 and 2500 I talked about before. Could be a sign NR ia activated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ihkim's site is unfortunately not very intelligible for me through google translate.  While his English isn't perfect it is way way better than google translate and he seems to have set up another site (that is linked to from his blog) where he goes through what he knows of the protocol in English: http://blueringlab.com/

Unfortunately I have no interest in a speedbooster for Nikon lenses on NX.  For Canon lenses, yes, and such a design could be shared for Nikon lenses.  On the other hand though, a design for Nikon lenses that uses the extra space would not then work for Canon lenses. 

Great work on the speedbooster so far, great to see so much activity in regards to continuing what Samsung abandoned.

The DIY community will be our only chance of seeing an electronic mount adapter for the NX, I cant see any companies (metabones, or even some of the newer chinese ones like Zhongyi), seeing this as an economically viable product. RockyMountains work is very interesting and I've been following his youtube channel for sometime. Without wanting to be an negative nancy, I think best case scenario we could end up with something like the earlier redrock adapters, with an external control unit.

I happen to know a lot of engineers, including one that works for Thales Angenieux, I'll run the concept of a hardware adapter past them next I see them and see if I can get anyone to contribute.

Redrock_Micro_8_041_0001_LiveLens_Active_Lens_Mount_672332.jpg

On 4/22/2016 at 5:07 PM, CMCFirm said:

How hard would it be to remove the block on the NX1 so that the Samsung Camera Manager app functions while using manual lenses? Would be great to have wireless live view while using non Samsung Glass. Thanks everyone! 

BTW, for anyone interested in developing, I am posting the link for accessing all NX1 firmware files again for ease of access. I usually grant access pretty quickly when a request comes in. Access the files here: https://drive.google.com/a/cmcfirm.com/folderview?id=0Bwt0uzFgEoRkQ2ZLOUJOM295UGM&usp=sharing

The entire firmware history (v1.01, v1.10, v1.20, v1.21, v1.22, v1.30, v1.31, v1.32, and v1.40) for the NX1 is now archived in that link:

Happy to help and really am impressed by what you all have accomplished thus far!

I posted up on the Metabones page asking for smart adapter support. Feel free to follow up on my request there.
Luca, fantastic work brother! Sign me up to your wait list. I want one. :) 

I am quoting myself above as a quick reference to anyone who needs access to the OEM NX1 firmware. Great job everyone! The progress is better than I could have ever imagined. Just signed up with FilmConvert today and got some tasty new NX1 profiles to work with. Loving life as an orphaned Samsung NX1 and NX500 owner right now!

13 hours ago, sandro said:

Why are you guys mainly interested in electronic control (af and is) of canon lenses and not Nikon's?

I want intelligent adapter since:

1) no nx lens above 200mm

2) I use camera mainly for stills

3) I want af and ois

I prefer canon since:

4) many friends have canon, zero have Nikon

5) I really like long canon tele lenses

On 7/28/2016 at 11:52 PM, lucabutera said:

Samsung NX1 + NXL (SB prototype) + 50mm Nikon 1.4 (f.2).

I love the DOF like Full frame! I remember my old Canon 5d mark III... but 4K!!

Samsung-NX1-DOF.jpg

luca, what is the focal distance with your adapter for nikon 50mm 1.4D , couldn't be 50mm, isn't it? and also the dof is even more shallow, at 1.4d? i am asking as i have exactly the same lens and now the focal is around 75mm. anyways when can i register for a preorder :) ?

15 hours ago, Calum MacPhail said:

Great work on the speedbooster so far, great to see so much activity in regards to continuing what Samsung abandoned.

The DIY community will be our only chance of seeing an electronic mount adapter for the NX, I cant see any companies (metabones, or even some of the newer chinese ones like Zhongyi), seeing this as an economically viable product. RockyMountains work is very interesting and I've been following his youtube channel for sometime. Without wanting to be an negative nancy, I think best case scenario we could end up with something like the earlier redrock adapters, with an external control unit.

I happen to know a lot of engineers, including one that works for Thales Angenieux, I'll run the concept of a hardware adapter past them next I see them and see if I can get anyone to contribute.

Redrock_Micro_8_041_0001_LiveLens_Active_Lens_Mount_672332.jpg

I remember that ihkim had already built something like a converter using arduino. He said that he could even create a dedicated chip for that. The only question mark was the power source, he was unsure if he could get the power from the NX1 or if external power (i.e. batteries) would have been required.

I've been briefly reading into this, and it seems that for canon lenses, if you can provide a 6V power source, the motors will be fine. So can the NX output 6V? Probably. You may need a voltage divider or a (rechargeable) battery in the adapter. I haven't really looked into the NX side thoroughly yet.

According to blueringer, NX outputs 5V, so depending on tolerance, you may need a small battery in the adapter. Of course, it will be important to know how much power the motors take. The data channels take almost no power (low current)

1 hour ago, vaga said:

As I'm reading blueringer,

My thought would be to model the adapter signals to the camera based on the nx lens that has the most features and fastest AF. Do you all think that is a reasonable idea?

From what I've read, that would be the 16-50 f2-2.8 then. It's really a shame that the Pentax K adapter that Samsung made for their old lenses isn't active, we could have learned a lot from it.

RockyMountains Arduino unit noted above is probably the closest we've come. Like I said I think we are most likely to have success with a dumb adapter at the NX end, that controls and powers a lens externally. Trying to create an adapter to allow the NX to do it itself is most likely outwith our limited collective R and D capabilities. 

Edit:

It also occurs to me to ask what you guys would expect (be willing) to pay for such an adapter. With such limited production numbers, the cost per adapter will be much higher than most others on the market.

There are some potentially useful files for the AF in the NX30 open source firmware, just do a search of the extracted files for "lens" to find some interesting stuff.  By my reading of the agreement when downloading the files I can't just tell you what's in there.  I'm not sure if it tells us much more than ihkim's work, but it might fill in some values.  If anyone doesn't know where to download those yet:

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital%20cameras

I don't remember if these were still in the NX1/NX500 released files or not, that firmware is on my laptop at work and I don't want to download it again at the moment. 

Regarding my interest only in the Canon side of things, I own 0 Nikon lenses but quite a few Canon lenses, including now some long glass (400 f/2.8).  Any optical design for the Canon will work for Nikon with only some length extension to the housing, but not vice versa if the Nikon design used that space.  There are more Canon lenses that need the aperture control.  So yes, a bit of a selfish interest, but that's how it is. 

6 hours ago, vaga said:

I've been briefly reading into this, and it seems that for canon lenses, if you can provide a 6V power source, the motors will be fine. So can the NX output 6V? Probably. You may need a voltage divider or a (rechargeable) battery in the adapter.

That would be probably a level shifter rather than a crude voltage divider.
The power needed to run the conversion logic is so low that it shouldn't be a problem to just take it from camera body in the final revision of the intelligent SB (not running inefficient ATmega).

4 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

I'm not an ingeneer, but...if ihkim could control BOTH nx AND ef with arduino, then couldn't a conversion be done among the protocols?

Probably more along the lines of FPGA or an ARM (ultra low current Gecko maybe). Note that I haven't looked at the communication protocols so I don't know if it's a matter of simple lookup table or how much more number crunching needs to be done.

@kidzrevil Can't speak for others but I have nx500 so no evf from me :)

Great work Luca, I tried something similar (but much more primitive) with m42 a long time ago but I was unable to position the added elements precisely enough and got mostly useless results - your results are very positive!

Regarding canon vs nikon - yes it is true that due to longer flange straight adapter will not work, but let's wait and see how much of the space is actually used by this adapter - it might be doable to shave a millimeter or there and get canon lenses to work.