Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

I would rather not take sides. I support what both of you are working on and at this point they are quite different mods that appeal to different peoples needs. Vasile is working on a lean and clean mod with only a few features(right now its just bit-rate) and Kinoseed is working on squeezing as much as possible out of these two amazing cameras (witch to date has been amazing what he has been able to get out of them).

Having said that It doesn't really matter what bill gates stole from Steve jobs or what Steve stole from bill gates they both have two different products for two different demographics. Besides I would hope that if someone comes up with a better way of doing something or something super useful the other would use it as well. You guys are both publishing as open source don't forget. 

I often compare open source to science. To where science took this whole notion of developing ideas in the open and improving on other peoples' ideas and making it into what science is today and the incredible advances that we have had. And I compare that to witchcraft and alchemy, where openness was something you didn't do.  - Linus Torvalds

Full disclosure, All I really care about at this time is the bit-rate hack so I am leaning towards vasile's stripped down mod at this point in time but I really like what kinoseed is doing as well. As stated above my preference would be a world were everyone could get along and work together to exchanging ideas, even if they are working on separate projects/mods. unfortunately I know that is not really the world we live in :( .

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I aint taking sides on this neither. They have their differences and if i was serious enough for them to split, whatever. I just want to see both parties keep up the good work. We have one version of the hack that appeals to the people who only cared for the bitrate and another for people who want extra features. Maybe this will become a competition to see who's can offer the features to us that stand out. Maybe Vasile comes out with RAW 4k or 1080 and kinoseed comes out with a way to disable NR, who knows. I appreciate the work from both parties nonetheless. I feel like they did for the NX1 what ML did for Canon and both parties need more credit than they are getting.

random but I am stillllllll waiting for @Andrew Reid to review the hack and bring more attention to these guys work. That could lead to a 16-50s or something to compensate for their work and keep morale high. 

As someone who has yet to install the hacks...it would be nice for Andrew to install them and spotlight these developments with a proper article.  You can find tons of information / reviews of the ML hacks for Cannon...all of this for the NX1 is found on two forums.  

Since I also purchased Andrew's NX1 guide, I think that should be updated with at least a summary of the possibilities that are now possible and how that can lead to a better image.

29 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Im writing my own guide. May even put it out for free, I've been testing the nx1 hack or no hack for a while now. Came up with some damn good in cam settings and how to expose to benefit from the increase in bitrate. I document my findings you can find it on my vimeo.com/kidzrevil @timmyturntable

I have thought about putting together a video in Dave Dugdale style to talk about the bit-rate hack. I have even wrote down some notes of things to test/discuss one day when I was just sitting around. I think I am subconsciously waiting for someone else todo it so I don't have to lol.

1 hour ago, timmyturntable said:

As someone who has yet to install the hacks...it would be nice for Andrew to install them and spotlight these developments with a proper article.  You can find tons of information / reviews of the ML hacks for Cannon...all of this for the NX1 is found on two forums.  

Since I also purchased Andrew's NX1 guide, I think that should be updated with at least a summary of the possibilities that are now possible and how that can lead to a better image.

I had asked Andrew to test amd comment on the hacks, several weeks ago...

23 hours ago, iamoui said:

No this is with one of Kinoseeds mod packs for 1.40 firmware. I didn't see any reason to upgrade to 1.41. I use an iPhone, and I love the bit rate hack!

edit: wait, what new hack for 1.41? Vasile's?

edit2: just read through the dpreview thread on vasile's new hack for 1.41 and saw that someone claimed to have true 120fps at 180mbps. Guess I'm going to have to test it tomorrow!

You may want to wait some more unless you want to test again later on. After I get back the burner camera from repairs I will try to put together an even smaller mod, which should have less resource consumption (read: memory) than what I have out now. And I also intend to break the bluetooth dependency but this is not news.

In general you should keep an eye on work in progress and on work finished or abandoned. The best place for requests is (AFAIAC) to add to this on github.

5 hours ago, vasile said:

You may want to wait some more unless you want to test again later on. After I get back the burner camera from repairs I will try to put together an even smaller mod, which should have less resource consumption (read: memory) than what I have out now. And I also intend to break the bluetooth dependency but this is not news.

In general you should keep an eye on work in progress and on work finished or abandoned. The best place for requests is (AFAIAC) to add to this on github.

This got me sooooooo excited ??

FWIW, we seem to now have a method to make bitrate mods permanent (in hibernation image) so independent of Bluetooth and similar. But this currently applies only to bitrate mods (but should apply to 2.5k on NX500 as well). Other mods still depend on Bluetooth. We are all working on further improvements. 

See here for more information 

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/Permanent_bitrate_mods.md

36 minutes ago, Otto K said:

No reason why it wouldn't, but I have no way to test it on NX1. 

They should apply to NX1 but involve EXTREMELY dangerous changes. DO NOT attempt to do them on your own unless you know what you are doing - a mistake WILL require you to send the camera for service.

Why? Because you change a library that is required by di-camera-app. For 2.5K you also change the di-camera-app itself.

A mistake and di-camera-app will crash leaving you without user interface. So just don't. Wait a bit please

8 hours ago, Parker said:

Hey guys check this out! Apparently UHD 60p is now possible!!! 1D(N)x-ii in all of our pockets. 

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4011837

I really hope this is legit. I downloaded the clip and threw it into premiere just to see, and it does appear to be a true 3840x2160 file playing back at 60p. This is huge.

Sorry not a real 60p every 10th or so frame is duplicated and also this: http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57859659