Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

14 minutes ago, essbe said:

Really love this hack, enabling silent shutter mode was enough to make me happy, and it's wonderful to see it progress. A strange request perhaps but would it be possible to disable the automatic image flip/horizontal alignment of the display so we could have an upside down image when the camera is upside down? Would be useful for me, but probably not for anyone else.

Does the silent shutter work on the NX1 or still NX500 only?

Also something that I have been thinking about that is kinda related to the silent shutter is there has to be a continuous shooting speed for RAW images that will let the camera shoot continuously forever and wont buffer out? This would give us high-speed 6.5k RAW video. I dont know if it would be practical but I was just thinking that say if the NX1 can shoot 6fps continuously you would only need to speed it up 400% to get 24p. you could probably get away with 300%

It would definitely fill up your card fast lol but what do you guys think is this something worth looking into or would 6.5k RAW 4x speed video be useless?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

Does the silent shutter work on the NX1 or still NX500 only?

Also something that I have been thinking about that is kinda related to the silent shutter is there has to be a continuous shooting speed for RAW images that will let the camera shoot continuously forever and wont buffer out? This would give us high-speed 6.5k RAW video. I dont know if it would be practical but I was just thinking that say if the NX1 can shoot 6fps continuously you would only need to speed it up 400% to get 24p. you could probably get away with 300%

It would definitely fill up your card fast lol but what do you guys think is this something worth looking into or would 6.5k RAW 4x speed video be useless?

4k Raw at 24fps would be amazing, if even for a few seconds.

edit:.. since the nx1 can shoot raw at 15fps burst mode, would it be possible to get 24fps out of it with silent shutter?

20 minutes ago, AaronL said:

4k Raw at 24fps would be amazing, if even for a few seconds.

I agree 4k 24p RAW would be alot more usable but at this point it does not seam to be feasible.

What I was suggesting is a script that would just start taking regular full RAW pictures at the highest rate the camera can sustain. This seams quite reasonable to do at this point you would just need to play around with it a bit to figure out the shortest time you need to "sleep" for so the buffer never fills up.

Wait can you "sleep 0.167" for example on the NX1/500?

Edit: The 15fps does not have anything to do with the shutter being able to move fast enough. The sensor can only read so fast. also the buffer fills up at about 20 pictures at 15fps so you would get about .8 seconds of video if it was possible

6 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

I agree 4k 24p RAW would be alot more usable but at this point it does not seam to be feasible.

What I was suggesting is a script that would just start taking regular full RAW pictures at the highest rate the camera can sustain. This seams quite reasonable to do at this point you would just need to play around with it a bit to figure out the shortest time you need to "sleep" for so the buffer never fills up.

Wait can you "sleep 0.167" for example on the NX1/500?

Edit: The 15fps does not have anything to do with the shutter being able to move fast enough. The sensor can only read so fast. also the buffer fills up at about 20 pictures at 15fps so you would get about .8 seconds of video if it was possible

RAW video will be slightly different from burst photos though, the NX1 is not locked to 15fps, that is just how fast the shutter is capable of physically moving, 5DM3 does 24 and even 60fps raw video just fine albeit at resolutions as low as 720p.

Its just a matter of how much data the camera is capable of writing to the card, like the Canon 500D can do 1080p RAW video just fine, but the SD card module just is not capable dealing with such a high data flow. 

Samsung NX1 however is, but then again we would have to find a way to get RAW data out of the sensor and dump it into the SD card to begin with, the best we can hope with is MJPEG or JPEG dump, and JPEG's are already a billion times better than the HEVC already in terms of quality and dynamic range including the data there is in each frame.

Do a burst even at downsampled resolution and you get seriously good imagery that look like something from a Red.

2 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

RAW video will be slightly different from burst photos though, the NX1 is not locked to 15fps, that is just how fast the shutter is capable of physically moving, 5DM3 does 24 and even 60fps raw video just fine albeit at resolutions as low as 720p.

Its just a matter of how much data the camera is capable of writing to the card, like the Canon 500D can do 1080p RAW video just fine, but the SD card module just is not capable dealing with such a high data flow. 

Samsung NX1 however is, but then again we would have to find a way to get RAW data out of the sensor and dump it into the SD card to begin with, the best we can hope with is MJPEG or JPEG dump, and JPEG's are already a billion times better than the HEVC already in terms of quality and dynamic range including the data there is in each frame.

Do a burst even at downsampled resolution and you get seriously good imagery that look like something from a Red.

what is different from RAW video and RAW photo bursts with e-shutter? I mean you would have to process them in Lr/Ps into jpeg then stitch them together in Pr just like a time lapse. I guess that is more what I am proposing a SUPER SUPER slow motion time lapse(with 0.167 sec between each photo) oppose to a high speed video lol.

5 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

what is different from RAW video and RAW photo bursts with e-shutter? I mean you would have to process them in Lr/Ps into jpeg then stitch them together in Pr just like a time lapse. I guess that is more what I am proposing a SUPER SUPER slow motion time lapse(with 0.167 sec between each photo) oppose to a high speed video lol.

Well yes e-shutter basically works just like it does for video. 

However the 5DM3 does line skipping while NX1 reads the entire sensor and then downsamples it, at this point I just get a headache from thinking about all the technicalities maybe someone with more expertise can reply explaining how, why and why not. 

I am pretty sure the NX1 could technically do raw videos but at 2160p or 4k I am a bit sceptical as its a lot of data to process and dump into the SD card, remember it downsamples it which means the CPU is actually doing something unlike with the 5DM3 where it just dumps it without doing much other than corrections.

Its more possible it would be raw video at 1440p but this would require some serious hacking like Magic Lantern if not even more.

4 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Well yes e-shutter basically works just like it does for video. 

However the 5DM3 does line skipping while NX1 reads the entire sensor and then downsamples it, at this point I just get a headache from thinking about all the technicalities maybe someone with more expertise can reply explaining how, why and why not. 

I am pretty sure the NX1 could technically do raw videos but at 2160p or 4k I am a bit sceptical as its a lot of data to process and dump into the SD card, remember it downsamples it which means the CPU is actually doing something unlike with the 5DM3 where it just dumps it without doing much other than corrections.

Its more possible it would be raw video at 1440p but this would require some serious hacking like Magic Lantern if not even more.

I don't think you understand what I am wanting to do.

What I am talking about is figuring out what the highest fps the NX1 can capture full RAW images at continuously without buffering out. Say that it can do 6fps then you process and stitch together in post as if it were a time lapse then you would basically have a 6.5k RAW 4x high speed video.

As far as I am concerned this is 100% possible today its just a matter of how many frames it can actually do and if at that rate it would be usable for anything.

But now that you guys have brought up jpeg it would be interesting to see if you set it to jpeg normal(lowest quality) full e-shutter and then just let the camera rip and see how many fps it can do and for how long?

I am not good with this stuff but what about a script like this. would this not just let the camera rip as fast as possible in normal quality? lol

while ....
do

st cap capt quality normal & wait $!

done

23 hours ago, tugela said:

Debeyering uses information from adjacent pixels to reconstitute the color of the virtual pixel. If you use information weighted to a large circle of probability, the color will be more accurate but resolution lost. If you reduce the weighting of that circle of probability then resolution will be maintained but color will be inaccurate. That is what creates the halos. You would only need one setting to do that.

Once debeyered, the image would have permanently lost the information that was discarded, so either color accuracy or resolution at boundaries. Operations in post cannot recover either.

The process you describe will never produce contrast halos, only add blur. Debayer does take information from grb photosites to calculate the value of a pixel, but again, that happens in software, uses a weighted matrix, and there is only one that I saw in the kernel. (no probabilities are involved)
More on debayer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

@Daniel Galli you can start from here:
https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding

Honestly - I never thought the NX1 hack would get this far!

I can remember long ago, when we were all but children playing in the garden, back when Kidzrevil first posted this challenge....

At the rate some of the folks here are carving deeper into the guts, I wouldn't be all that surprised if one day someone DID find a way to get a RAW video feed out of these kittens of ours.

In the meantime it sure seems to be a resounding success even just in it's first couple of months, with the increased bit-rates cleaning up some of the problem areas in just the way I expected it would. Kudos to all involved.

Now if only Otto or someone else could write a sub-script that would prevent me from pointing my NX1 at bad subject material...

I'm just wondering where we're at with making the hack work with fw 1.41. I know it's 1.40 that's being used now. I just want to know if there are any future plans to attempt to make it all work with 1,41.

edit: answered my own ?. It seems vasille is still trying to find a way, but he and kino have friction? Wish them both the best and hope they can learn from one another.

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57821746

Seems to me that certain person I wont name overreacted unnecessarily. (PS: I do not know what 'might' have happened to them in privacy)

This is the sort of stuff that sinks ship, its unmanly, I am sure all of us have worked with people we surely did not end up being the best friends but we coped with it because it would be beneficial for the team.

Its really silly, all one has to do is just give credits in readme files and boom, heck even in the hack mod pack I could see the credits, so I am not sure really what the issues are for either parts. Maybe this is just cloudy weather and soon there might be sunny weather, hopefully. 

why would the 1.41 1.40 split us all up? Of course it's best to have the hack work on 1.41. But if it's too much work, I'm sure we can all live with 1.40. The choice is that of the guy who does the hacks.

I've used the camera manager extensively. It just doesn't work all that well. Slow to focus, and all that inane thumbnail downloading it does. not enough control to be really useful, I just can't trust it like I should be able to.

45 minutes ago, chauncy said:

why would the 1.41 1.40 split us all up? Of course it's best to have the hack work on 1.41. But if it's too much work, I'm sure we can all live with 1.40. The choice is that of the guy who does the hacks.

I've used the camera manager extensively. It just doesn't work all that well. Slow to focus, and all that inane thumbnail downloading it does. not enough control to be really useful, I just can't trust it like I should be able to.

There is more than one person doing the hacks, and the person in charge of creating a great package of them decided to drop the bitrate hacks and memory hacks by Vasile to update to newest firmware. The latest hack package DOES NOT WORK on 1.4 only on 1.41. Meaning that if I want all the features I have to deal with two different hacks on one camera that each require different firmware to run. NOT an ideal.

I am not looking forward nor am I willing to run two different hacks. Things were looking up when everyone is on the same page. Its gonna be inconvenient having to run two different hacks in the future so for now I will not update the firmware or the hack til I get more clarity on how it would work in the event we actually do have to use two hacks smh