A quick beginners guide to the Red One MX

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Ive been getting a lot of questions about the Red One. Many remind me of when the BMCC was new and people seemed to think it was more difficult than regular cameras and that you could only shoot with thousands of accessories.

Back then I did a quick beginners guide on what you needed and how to set it up for a basic shot.
So for fun I did a similar thing for the R1, even though I bet not even 1/100 is interested compared to the Blackmagic.
Again, this is just on how to get it running and produce an image, not how to make good looking videos

Im also still amazed at how enjoyable Redcode is to work with.

Ungraded,
krutogradad.md.jpg

Redlog
KrutFilm.md.jpg

Graded
KrutQuickGrade.md.jpg

Finally a tip if any european is looking. Its a bit pricy compared to mine. But if all those batteries are still good it might be worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-one-MX-camera-PL-Nikon-mount-/131712086864?hash=item1eaaa6f350%3Ag%3AvEMAAOSwNyFWg8Dh

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

EDIT: I did some research and it looks like the R1 only feeds a 720p signal for recording.

There you go. Makes a little since since its almost 10 years old. And since one can record internally in Redcode it wouldn't be very beneficial. I doubt any recorder has access to Redcode.

EDIT: Speaking of nothing, I just watched this shot on the Red1. Pretty epic at 02:19, must have been rad to film that.