Sony's response to PXW-FS5 issues and why I am keeping hold of my camera

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Sony cameras have a couple of issues at the moment.

Skintones are not flattering especially for faces, they're too revealing and contrast is too high.

I am working on a Skintones LUT for my FS5 to fix this.

Secondly the banding issue in skies with S-LOG 3. I am hoping Sony can address this in firmware, at least for the 10bit 1080p mode. Raw output will also fix it.

I really hope something can be done to improve things. I do a lot of recreational shooting, but the serious part of what I do is talking head shooting for my company's educational movies, and there face skin tones are critical.. So much is so good about the Sony, but skin tone is the one critical thing that, for me, is a must have. If you find out how to fix it I'd love to know. Thanks for your response.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Skintones are not flattering especially for faces, they're too revealing and contrast is too high.

Secondly the banding issue in skies with S-LOG 3. I am hoping Sony can address this in firmware, at least for the 10bit 1080p mode. Raw output will also fix it.

Skin tones are a pain on the A7SII, although I have a couple of LUTs that really help with Slog2 and Cine4. 

I also find that Crumplepop Finisher helps too. It's an excellent plugin, just dial down the sharpness and brightness from the default and it's great!

If Sony sort out the issues with the FS5, the proposed update with the Odyssey is an absolute monster of a package that makes total sense for many purposes.

I DO like the look of the 4.6k URSA Mini, however I have to consider health too. I've done 4 back to back shoots in 2 weeks using the FS7 handheld and Ronin M + A7SII, and quite frankly, my entire body feels destroyed today! Burn out!! 

The FS5 has terrific ergonomics and features - I want to see if the image quality + skin tones can "get there". 

I'm trying to decide between an fs5 and an fs7 for shooting weddings. I love the fs7 image but the ergonomics of the fs5 are really good too. Have around £10k budget- any advice? Would need a heavy duty tripod and accessories too (have lenses).

On 11 February 2016 at 0:25 AM, Andrew Reid said:

At weddings you have to move fast and the hours are long. 

I'd say go FS5 and get the A7SII as B-cam. 

You might want to see if the firmware fixes the reported issues on the FS5 though. 

2 hours ago, Jpr said:

I'm trying to decide between an fs5 and an fs7 for shooting weddings. I love the fs7 image but the ergonomics of the fs5 are really good too. Have around £10k budget- any advice? Would need a heavy duty tripod and accessories too (have lenses).

I feel like a C100 with Canon skin tones, Dual Pixel AF, and small file sizes would be a far more ideal wedding camera.