BCN 2016 awards

tugela

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3959588

Excuse the cross-link, but I am curious what people think about this. In particular, the bit about digital video camera market share. In Japan apparently Sony, Panasonic and JVC collectively have about 95% of the market share. Presumably Canon has most of the remaining 5%. Are Canon video cameras really that unpopular in Japan?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can understand it with their consumer cameras, but not the others. Unless pro/prosumer video cameras sales make up a very small part of the overall market for cameras like that. That would be surprising though. Maybe those little consumer cams sell more than I thought. Or do the Japanese simply have preferred brands for video and are inflexible when it comes to anything else?

Please note that BCN Ranking collects sales data from approximately 2/3 of all Japanese retail stores.

~ http://photorumors.com/2016/01/27/2016-bcn-camera-rankings-are-out/#more-78914

So say 'hello' to the Japanese consumers out there. And from what I've gathered a lot of these people usually don't care too much for casual shooting, they have their phones or dedicated selfie camera for that (especially young women!). Though when they do shoot something you'll often catch them trying to recreate footage to look exactly how it looked at the time of recording. Lot of hobbyist out there with a passion for trains for example. Or Tokyo's Disneyland. Theatre. Green parks. Fireworks. YouTube is filled with a shit ton of footage they've shot. I've noticed over the years by searching for sample footage of many cameras. Modern 4K crispness, higher than 24p framerates... it doesn't bother them! Looks like a soap opera? Well then: mission accomplished! No thick grading... a lot of deep focus detailed shots which are quite true to life. They hardly shoot handheld. Most of the time is tri- or monopod. When it's handheld you'll see them using gimbals, walking around like some true Japanese ninjas! They can upload 2160p videos to YouTube, they're not going to settle for Canon, who is known not to push consumer grade cameras when it comes to video and still focus on 1080p. So I'm not at all surprised to be honest. To me Japanese seem the kind of people that roll with the times. And Sony, Panasonic and JVC rank high on rolling with the times as well. I bet they went crazy when the FDR-AX100 came out...