I'd like a big sensor rx100 please

gethin

After a couple of weeks shooting with it, I'm gobsmacked. Sure its got its foibles.  (But... Built-in ND: hurrah!).

Why they dont have this level of functionality on an apsc model (including 240fps thanks) I don't know (and I'd be amazed if the a6100 had it).

Now I've started messing around with speedgrade to build some luts for it to try to get the greens and skies to match my d5300.  Anyone know of any luts out there? (I'm using the cinestyle profile at the moment rather than log).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Which is why we should see them in an apsc camera first :)  But sony seems to hobble its apsc cameras, maybe to protect its full frame or super-35 cameras.  I had an a- 6000  for a while, it had a few nice things about it, but I ended up with the d5300 (the lease user friendly camera on the market??)

Exactly! I've been saying the same for the last couple of months... oh how I wish they would just put some of the RX10M2, RX100M4, A7RII and A7SII tech in the next APS-C mirrorless camera. Just a good solid performing sensor, 4K capability, high framerates, etc. But like you I'm afraid that they'll pull a Canon and restrict the lower end segment. I mean, I would be perfectly fine having E-mount APS-C mirrorless. Fullframe, sure, it's nice, but I'm not heavily invested in fullframe covering lenses, nor do I have the wish to buy some because they tend to get bulky and expensive. Sony's answer obviously would be 'well, if you want the serious functionality, you just got to cough up the serious dosh. You can use the camera in S35 mode'. But I'm just not looking to throw money at something I'm not going to use to its full potential. Then just give me that APS-C camera already. If I still wish to get a fullframe look, I'll adapt lenses with a focal reducer (Sony: 'see, if we give you that APS-C camera you want, you'll then leave us for dead after. We need you to buy into the system, not just buy a camera').

I went with Micro Four Thirds because back in the day I more or less stood for the choice: GH2 or 550D/T2i. I went with the GH2, because it's mirrorless, I love liveview and to use an EVF. Articulated touchscreen is awesome to have! And a huge plus: small formfactor, especially when used with the 14mm and 20mm pancake primes. As well as the ability to adapt all sorts of lenses, really. That philosophy kind of continued with the E-M1, BMPCC, GH4 and Z E1.

I did have some Nikon glass (e.g. Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D & 80-200mm f/2.8D) because of the easier adaptation than Canon mount, so when I found out the D5300 with 18-55mm II was on sale for 449 EUR, I couldn't resist. Only added the 35mm f/1.8 on top of that, to have a nice alternative electronic native mount lens as well. Image quality wise, there's hardly any better value out there. It's pretty damn solid. For stills, Micro Four Thirds just isn't a match. For video, the D5300 has that more organic rendering and superb colors. Lowlight performance is decent as well. But again, you're so right, it might be one of the least user-friendly cameras out there. For stills, if you're used to liveview on mirrorless cameras, shooting in liveview on the D5300 is a horror, it just slaps the mirror around like it's applauding itself. I just don't see the benefit of having a mirror and OVF, except for the dedicated phase detection system for reliable AF, which I think is the only reason people still buy DSLRs (and perhaps their rugged touch and bulky ergonomics). Then there's weird behavour like don't being able to change aperture on the fly. C'mon Nikon... Anyways. I do feel the 24MP APS-C sensor is a nice place to be at. Enough resolution. Good performance, decent in lowlight. Overall a better idea than Micro Four Thirds.

The NX1 gave it a good shot and still is a nice camera, it showed that APS-C mirrorless is where it's at! But I still feel you would have to get the 16-50mm and 50-150mm S lenses and then it's getting pricey to the point I wonder what I'm doing spending so much money on a system without a future, when there's so many interesting alternatives out there... sure Sony has the A5100 and A6000, but they're really getting behind the curve now and don't think Sony ever expected people to be using it for shooting somewhat more serious video given the fact they only gave A6000 XAVCS with a firmware upgrade for example. But I think they've come around on that now... and they've been implementing cool video features in those 4 mentioned cameras (as well as higher end stuff). You'd just think there's almost no way around it not to implement any of those things... right? Unless again, they want to pull a Canon. Not sure. There's loads of rumors, but also, rumors have been going on for a year now and nothing happened. Personally I think 4K and in-body stabilization is quite a bit of a stretch, but if they can pull it off... power to them! Just hoping the EVF is any good and they'd give it a vari-angle touchscreen. That would make it competition for the E-M1/E-M5II and X-T1/X-Pro2 for sure. We'll just have to see how things will pan out. But the A6100 might just check off most of my wishes and might make me not buy a Micro Four Thirds camera again...

Read a rumor that it'll be the same size as a6000, so there goes IBIS. But yeah mostly I think they won't want to cannibalize their FF sales.  I love shooting with apsc - with a speedbooster it doubles the effective number of lenses you have.  

My main thing right now though is codec.  I'm just getting into grading, (my backround is stils, i love extracting the juice from a shot :)) and its depressing how quickly h.264s fall apart even at decent data rates.  I've now realised that I'm dreaming to think nikon will exploit their unique position in not having a video/cinema line.  RAW on nikons would be immense - oh the dynamic range.  

Nikon is tied to Sony for CMOS, so they probably can't make the camera as video-oriented as they would like! 

you know I'd love to know if the Japanese corporate culture worked like that.  I find it hard to believe that sony could dictate terms to such a big customer, but it would be fascinating to be provided wrong :). I suspect though tthatNikons focus is on stills and everything else is an afterthought.