Shooting a feature with the Panasonic GH2 and LOMO anamorphic lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This looks pretty cool! Nice one for shooting it all on GH2s, kudos. I'll be sure to watch the finished picture when it's out and about.

Thanks. It is, after all, the final picture that matters.

Change that bloody font please ;)

Yep, I know. Changed it for the feature edit a while back... good thing about a working trailer is seeing what actually works and what doesn't over time.

For the record, I am a font fanatic. Made my kids watch the documentary "Helvetica." They haven't seen the world the same since--especially road signs.

Do I see a tip of the hat to CONTACT at 2:07?

I like the analogy, and I see where you're coming from (an otherworldly meeting on the beach) but no, didn't have Contact in mind there. Now, if the waves were rolling backwards, as they do in Contact, it would be closer to being an homage. Actually, that could be interesting. Anybody want to roto the characters to make that happen?? ;-)

I think Contact is, btw, a good film on several levels.

The steadicam (pull) shot where the daughter runs through the house and up the stairs and finally reaches up and pulls the glass mirror medicine cabinet open, as if the ENTIRE SHOT had been done inside the mirror, was amazing. Nobody else in the theater noticed that but a filmmaker buddy and I nearly fell out of our chairs. It was sublime.

So was the sound design by Randy Thom. He inspired me to write sound into the storytelling for Mandorla.

Compact view cameras allow for shimming of their digital back to achieve the optimum sensor position. In massive produced DSLRs the tolerances are close enough and can be masked by micro-adjust. But I have seen cases on friends equipment where one end of the sensor was off by a fraction and he could never get anything in focus on that side. The camera went back to service and the service report read -- "shimmed sensor".

Fascinating. I didn't think that a sensor could be out of alignment. But it is part of the chain and therefore a suspect. Maybe not one of the "usual suspects" though, but something to consider. Thanks for the post.

Thanks. It is, after all, the final picture that matter.

Yep, I know. Changed it for the feature edit a while back... good thing about a working trailer is seeing what actually works and what doesn't.

For the record, I am a font fanatic. Made my kids watch the documentary "Helvetica." They haven't seen the world the same since--especially road signs.

/cheer

This is comforting to hear, someone else with a font fetish.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone upload an otherwise well-crafted film only to have some standard MS font for their titles that may or may not be properly antialiased.  I just don't get it.  If someone's gonna go with an OS stock font at least make it Impact, lol, you can still do a lot with that.

There are so many great sites out there and have been since at least the late 1990s with all kinds of great, free fonts in 31^n flavors.  You could spend hours and hours browsing and downloading from just one of the better sites.  "acidcool" used to be my go-to for browsing.

I don't think anyone's ever posted a video here with that default Vegas blue screen and cheesy white font preset like a lot of people still seem to do on youtube.  That's the worst.