A7Sii vs A7Rii crop-mode video

roccoforte

I'm considering either of these cameras for video. I will mostly use crop mode at "normal" ISOs under 12,000.

Given crop mode only, and no low light needs am I better off with the A7Rii shooting 4K or does the A7Sii still beat the Rii in video even though it only captures 1080 in crop mode.

Thanks and sorry of this question has been beaten to death, but I'm not finding an answer ;o)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Who said either one beats the other in video? One does better with slow motion, the other offers FF or APS-C mode. Low light is irrelevant as both are good enough. If slow motion is your thing go with the S, if dual mode flexibility has your fancy go R. Both are great cameras. FYI FF mode looks fine... unless you're a pixel peeper. There's marginal difference. I shoot both. Love the dual modes. But do wish a custom button could be assigned for easy switching.

"Who said either one beats the other in video?" Just to clarify:

Well many, many people say "buy the Sii for video and the Rii for stills". That's a pretty common thing.

And then the Rii records 4K in crop mode, while the Sii records 1080 in crop mode. (Remember I'm only interested in crop mode in this instance).

So that's where my confusion lies because 4K would imply the Rii is "better" than the 1080 Sii. And by "better" I suppose I mean, sharper, cleaner, richer image etc.

"Who said either one beats the other in video?" Just to clarify:

Well many, many people say "buy the Sii for video and the Rii for stills". That's a pretty common thing.

And then the Rii records 4K in crop mode, while the Sii records 1080 in crop mode. (Remember I'm only interested in crop mode in this instance).

So that's where my confusion lies because 4K would imply the Rii is "better" than the 1080 Sii. And by "better" I suppose I mean, sharper, cleaner, richer image etc.

Yes, many said this BEFORE the overheating problem was solved. But with the ability to now record without fear of forced shutdown things are a little different. 

do you need either if you don't need 4k? the A7s gives great 1080p in crop mode, stabilization is probably the only different (maybe colors, but they're still achievable)

edit: other than 4k, rolling shutter is worse on the rii in crop mode, and no slog3 on the rii, might want to consider those